• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I've been looking more at some of the Ruger .22s. wish i had enough money to get 2 guns. lol cuz i really like the CZ 9mm, but the .22 is definitely much more economically appealing.

I don't have a CZ but I love the way they fit my hand for sure. You can get a 22lr to start with and save for a 9mm or sell it someday when you are ready. Either way you can't really go wrong.

nate9122

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    I don't have a CZ but I love the way they fit my hand for sure. You can get a 22lr to start with and save for a 9mm or sell it someday when you are ready. Either way you can't really go wrong.

Yeah, i haven't heard anything negative at all about the CZ. I'm really starting to lean toward the .22. cheaper gun, cheaper ammo. I'll be more likely to use it a lot, and i can learn more about guns as i go. only negative is that it won't look nearly as badass as the CZ! :(

nate9122

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    my price range probably tops out at about 500 though... and i don't wanna drop close to 400 on a 22LR

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    I'd suggest going with a 22 now and take advantage of the fact you can get a lot more trigger time with it; especially since you've mentioned an LTCH and carry isn't a top priority at the moment. Aside from that, a 22 is something you'll likely keep in your collection (yeah, it may not seem like it now, but you'll have a collection of firearms before you know it! :D).

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Personally, I think you would get bored with a 22 after a couple of range sessions. It is a great one to learn to shoot with for sure but personally I would prefer to step into something with more of a purpose than plinking. Especially considering your circumstances not being in the market for more than one gun per year (college guy) I started with a 357 Revolver but mostly used 38 rounds. It was large and fun to shoot. I have had semi autos, but to me there is nothing like a simple trusty wheel gun. And I am under 40.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I would go with the 9mm. You don't need to shoot a ton of rounds to learn fundamentals. When first starting out, I had much better luck shooting slowly and deliberately...concentrating on each trigger pull. It doesn't take long before the butterflies leave and your groups start tightening up. Once you move beyond fundamentals, the 9 will be the better option as well. And I agree with the poster above, I find myself getting bored with 22lr pretty quickly.

A steel gun like a CZ75 is a great option, because you'll have minimal felt recoil. However, a duty gun like a Glock 19 would also be a good option for a first gun. Both are sweet shooters and around your $500 budget.

I started out about a year ago with a M&P9c and haven't regretted my decision for a second.

Good luck!

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Not meaning to thread jack, but the question begs to be asked. Do you live on campus? While living off campus is no big deal, but if you live in a dorm, I'm pretty sure it would cause an issue.

nate9122

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Not meaning to thread jack, but the question begs to be asked. Do you live on campus? While living off campus is no big deal, but if you live in a dorm, I'm pretty sure it would cause an issue.

I do live on campus, and i have thought about this being a problem. I'm not entirely sure what i would do about it. I'd probably have to talk to the school and see if there is any type of policy for where i might be able to keep it. If nothing else, I'm sure one of my coaches would gladly let it stay at one of their houses and i could pick it up whenever i wanna go shoot it. Plus i plan to have a house next year anyway.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Personally, if my goal was to become LE and did not really have a "bunch" of time and money to shoot up lots of ammo, then I would go with a Glock 19 or Glock 23. It will probably be the type of sidearm you would be issued and, more than likely, the calibers for which you will be using. My goal would be to get in as much practice with the gun you will have to qualify with once you are on some kind of police force. Maybe you should make a short list of agencies to which you will apply and see what sidearms they are carrying, then buy from that list and caliber. Having a .22 pistol is way up there on the "fun factor", but if I knew I was going into LE I would try to prepare myself with the weapon that I would have to use on a daily basis. JMHO.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    If you're looking to spend $500 to get a leg up I'd say go pick out a Rosetta Stone program. If you're looking to get a handgun to learn to shoot, then I'd say pick up a 9mm and look into and start setting aside for a .22lr conversion kit, so get a G17 and save up for an Advantage arms kit, or get a Kimber 1911 and save up for the .22 conversion kit. That way once you set aside some extra cash, you won't need a 2nd gun, but you'll be able to go shoot the same manual of arms learn: on the same trigger pull, system of safeties, etc. Also don't get too caught up in what sidearm a particular agency carries, that can change year to year; usually not that fast but it is by no means set in stone, though you'll see almost all primary sidearms in 9mm, .40S&W, .357SIG, 10mm, .45ACP or .45GAP; again you'll get a range. Good fundamentals should minimize the difference to the shooter; that is to say, good grip will absorb a portion of the recoil, a smooth trigger pull will keep the gun from moving at the break point, a good sight picture point the round in the right direction and so on; but each will have a different feel in your hand, with new shooters I tend to recommend 9mm because the low ammo cost and low perceived recoil, tend to make it more enjoyable to shoot for longer periods of time.

Then build up a cache of ammo and when you've got about 1k rounds go out and get some good instruction, going to an Academy full of bad habits will get you nowhere. Because for that matter 10/22 rifle, sling, tech sights, Appleseed weekend and ammo (all totaled up should be under $500); will get you much further ahead than going to the academy with poor muzzle discipline and slapping the trigger. But you'd much rather go pistol, so you're going to need to do some research for training in your area.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I do live on campus, and i have thought about this being a problem. I'm not entirely sure what i would do about it. I'd probably have to talk to the school and see if there is any type of policy for where i might be able to keep it. If nothing else, I'm sure one of my coaches would gladly let it stay at one of their houses and i could pick it up whenever i wanna go shoot it. Plus i plan to have a house next year anyway.

I would investigate this BEFORE you find yourself in need of a storage place friend. It could cause you some grief if not worked out ahead of time.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    I would get a Ruger P95, you can get one for around $300, and then have plenty left over for 9mm ammo. I just picked one up and absolutely love it. If you get sick of it or want to upgrade, I'm sure you can sell it off without taking much of a loss.

After 4 range trips in a week, I am thinking about picking up a .22 as well.

bab2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    SW Fort Wayne
    If you have money now, invest in handgun training with NRA trainer. You will get exposure to several types of guns if trainer is setup correctly.

If in school, ownership/possession of handgun could lead to issues with law, and would jeopardize future plans.

You can always learn with larger calibers in chosen career when selected, so .22 would be great for target and learning proper handling, care and use.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Smith & Wesson 22A

Great little trainer, and well under $300.

Easy to disassemble.

Yep really fun inexpensive gun.

Get that AND Hi-Point C-9. Still money for ammo !!!!!

Okay bash away:draw::ingo:

Edit: OK. After some thought you may be able to do the 22A and the Ruger P-95 for just around yiour budget IF one of them is used.

There was a good first pistol on a budget thread a week or so back. The P-95 dominated the thread

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    9mm... m&p 9is was my choice after being in the same situation. I like knowing that I can protect my family more effectively after each time I send rounds down range...

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you're looking to spend $500 to get a leg up I'd say go pick out a Rosetta Stone program. If you're looking to get a handgun to learn to shoot, then I'd say pick up a 9mm and look into and start setting aside for a .22lr conversion kit, so get a G17 and save up for an Advantage arms kit, or get a Kimber 1911 and save up for the .22 conversion kit. That way once you set aside some extra cash, you won't need a 2nd gun, but you'll be able to go shoot the same manual of arms learn: on the same trigger pull, system of safeties, etc. Also don't get too caught up in what sidearm a particular agency carries, that can change year to year; usually not that fast but it is by no means set in stone, though you'll see almost all primary sidearms in 9mm, .40S&W, .357SIG, 10mm, .45ACP or .45GAP; again you'll get a range. Good fundamentals should minimize the difference to the shooter; that is to say, good grip will absorb a portion of the recoil, a smooth trigger pull will keep the gun from moving at the break point, a good sight picture point the round in the right direction and so on; but each will have a different feel in your hand, with new shooters I tend to recommend 9mm because the low ammo cost and low perceived recoil, tend to make it more enjoyable to shoot for longer periods of time.

Then build up a cache of ammo and when you've got about 1k rounds go out and get some good instruction, going to an Academy full of bad habits will get you nowhere. Because for that matter 10/22 rifle, sling, tech sights, Appleseed weekend and ammo (all totaled up should be under $500); will get you much further ahead than going to the academy with poor muzzle discipline and slapping the trigger. But you'd much rather go pistol, so you're going to need to do some research for training in your area.

I'll take a couple of those $500 Kimber 1911's please!:D

nate9122

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Top Bottom