• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    You may want to look at a Sig P6. They fit your budget,are extremely well made, feel great in your hand, and will last a lifetime. Parts, such as sights, and magazines are readily available.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    You may want to look at a Sig P6. They fit your budget,are extremely well made, feel great in your hand, and will last a lifetime. Parts, such as sights, and magazines are readily available.

Wow! I was just going to suggest the same thing! P6 will come in under budget, and since it is a single stack, will fit your wife's hands nicely. I would bet that you wouldn't want to get rid of it in a year either. Also, see if you can find a P225, sometimes you can get them for around the $500 mark...same gun, for the most part...

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    If you don't have a browning hi power then you don't have one of the Iconic 9mm pistols ever. Save an extra amount to cover the difference. Spend once cry once.

I wanted to get in before the soon to be issued one word post that states only "GLOCK".

I hope to get a Browning Hi-Power soon. Very iconic handgun.

JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Hi, I purchased a used Beretta 92FS SS at the Greenfield gun show last fall for $425 with one 10 round magazine. It was a special edition called VERTEC. The grip is substantially smaller and the length of pull is shorter that their regular 92FS but the gun will still accept the 15 and 17 round standard magazines of the 92FS. This model weighs around 32 oz. unloaded. It has the steel upper and the alloy lower. I have small hands and this model handles well for me. The model was made in the early 2000s and is now out of production. However, the gun shows up on Gunbrokers regularly and I have seen one at another show in blue. I have also seen it for sale on this site or on ARMSLIST, I forget which. To me it is sorta the poor man's Sig 226. Build quality seems, to me, to be every bit as good as my SIG 238 and SIG 938 that I have. So you will know, the model was made both in 9mm and 40 cal. Beretta has other compact pistols but I have not handled or shot any of them. Google the VERTEC for pictures and specs. I love the 3 dot sites, SA/DA trigger system and external safety on the VERTEC.

Collin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    Check out the CZ P-07. Medium frame, double to single... Decent sight and trigger. Bit less common, falls into your budget as new gun.

Best wishes.

Hexa-Tula

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Bluffton
    I have a Walther PPQ and I'm very pleased with it. It's a great feeling gun, quite accurate, and has the best trigger I have ever pulled on a stock striker-fired gun. You could probably find one for a little over $500, but they're well worth the money.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    A CPO Sig 229 might be something to look for. As well as, a CZ 75 variant they feel great in the hand, and they are very accurate.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    See what you can find in a Rock Island 1911 in 9mm. You get 9 rounds +1. You also get a good 1911 to play with. My wife had a lady she worked with that wanted to shoot some guns. She shot both a Model 17 and 19 Glock and hated them as the recoil bothered her hands. She then shot a light weight Colt Comander 1911 in 9mm and wanted to keep shooting it. She also shot a Sig 226 in 9mm liking it better than the Glock but said the grip was to big. She felt that her grip could let the Sig fall from her hands while shooting. She liked the .45 ACP 1911 recoil best of the guns she shot.

Look at some used 3 gen S&W's as their grip fells better in small hands than the wonder 9's. The Smith can be had with a 15 round mag.

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    Thanks for the replies. I definitely don't want a full sized 9 right now, even though a new "shiny" P226 is on the list of pistols (along with a Belgian made Hi-Power) that I'd like to have in the collection. This is just something to fill a current hole that will end up being shot and sold within a year.

The oldest starts college this fall and I've got a bunch of other things that need money thrown at them, so $500 is the top end of the budget.

Edited to add that part of the reason I'm not looking for a full size is that my wife will also be shooting this and she struggled with the grips on my last full size, an SR9.

Range gun and BUG that your wife can shoot? Glock 26 gen 4. Shoots like the big boys, small enough for BUG work, and the grip size is adjustable.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Id look around for something a little different like a nice hi power copy but if you get tired of searching then you could always go with a glock 19 or 26. Sig 250 is a nice gun if you like the trigger.

Sigmachirev

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Ruger all the way

I am a big Ruger fan myself. I personal carry a Ruger P95. It is a full size 9mm but for the cost it is an amazing gun. I paid $330 for it new in box and have put over 4000 rounds through it with maybe 4 jams. those were due to not cleaning after a few times at the range shooting reloads.

If you really want something smaller I would look at a Ruger SR9C. you can get a used one around $500. I have shoot one and would buy one if I didn't like my P95 as much as I do.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Based on what you have said I think a Hi Power clone would fit right in. You can pick them up on GB for well under $400. The thin grip should make it easier for your wife. I have had a couple of FEGs in the past and they worked just fine. I just hate the GI sights.

Top Bottom