• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Berry's Bullets suggest this for plated, as is Xtreme: Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.

With that in mind, Hodgdon's site (Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com) has this:

125 gr Sierra FMJ
    Clays
    Bullet Dia = .355"
    COL = 1.090"
    Starting Loads = 3.5 gr / 1,010 fps / 28,000 cup
    Max Loads = 3.7 gr / 1,056 fps / 32,500 cup

Since there isn't much room between starting (3.5 gr) and mid-range (3.6 gr) I would be very careful. Before I use the Clay's I will probably email Hodgdon's to see if they have any other data not on their data base.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I use Clays in my 9mm. As was said, you have to watch it closely - a little additional makes a big difference. I use 3.5 grains under a 124 grain Montana Gold JHP, Wolf primer. Reliable, accurate, not too flippy. Used to use HS6 (not bad but takes more powder) and PowerPistol (flashy, smoky, dirty and also takes more).

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    Been using W231 4.7gr with X-treme 115gr RNCP and Titegroup 4.7gr with Winchester FMJ HP and 4.4gr with X-treme 115gr RNCP. All cycle well through the S&W's and PF-9.

Willob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    I lucked into an 8 lb can of Titegroup last week at a local gun shop. That should take care of most of my reloading needs for a while.

Top Bottom