• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My daughter is looking to buy her first handgun. She is looking for something in 9mm. She is a tad short at 5'-1" and likewise her hands aren't very big. I have an M&P 2.0 Compact that fit her hand decently with the smallest back strap installed, but she says it feels too fat to get a good grip.
    She is adamant that she wants to buy her first handgun (I bought her first rifle & shotgun). She's just finished college (graduated today) so she is looking to stay in the $400 and under range.
    So through out the best recommendations for a 9mm carry pistol with a thinner grip for small hands

Yeah, you're not gonna like hearing this, as will a lot of the rest on here. It's my two cents though, and I'm right. I spent a LOT of time, money and ammo learning this.

We as a community put way too much into the "fit their hand," "let them choose," and "try different guns," mentality. That is an injustice to most new shooters, who often go through numerous pistols seeking something that they should be learning in instruction, practice and training.

Put your daughters decision off for a year while she practices, trains and shoots a little competition with your G19. The same G19 that 11 year old girls compete with. The same G19 that most trainers will be carrying and instructing with. The same G19 that most LEO, LTCH holders and even thugs carry.

Send your daughter to class, with your G19, carry rig and a bunch of ammo. She NEEDS to be able to effectively shoot THE most carried pistol out there. It might not always be her own pistol that she is shooting, or needs to be shooting. Being able to effectively shoot the most likely pistol that will be around her is of utmost importance.

It's the same with carry. She needs to be able to carry a "full sized" pistol and related gear. She needs to be familiar with how to dress around it also. How to not feel as if it's weird to walk around with an effective modern high capacity pistol.

She can decide what to buy herself, when she can make an informed decision. It's you, as her mentor, to help her to be informed. A good place to start is with the most carried sidearm out there. It only makes sense right? She NEEDS to be able to effectively shoot THE most carried pistol out there.

New shooters can specialize later, after they are educated. After they have been to training and had thousands of rounds down range, then they can better decide how or if they need to change to a different pistol.

:twocents:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yeah, you're not gonna like hearing this, as will a lot of the rest on here. It's my two cents though, and I'm right. I spent a LOT of time, money and ammo learning this.

We as a community put way too much into the "fit their hand," "let them choose," and "try different guns," mentality. That is an injustice to most new shooters, who often go through numerous pistols seeking something that they should be learning in instruction, practice and training.

I totally agree and believe I mentioned this in so many words. As far as the G19, even though I don't own one, I highly recommend anyone who is looking at their first or will only buy one gun to buy one.

She can learn everything she needs to with that one pistol.

That said, I suppose if someone wanted the M&P 2.0 Compact, I'm good with that. :)

As far as carrying, I do carry a smaller pistol. For my stature, the Compact is too big. That's just me though.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Put your daughters decision off for a year while she practices, trains and shoots a little competition with your G19. The same G19 that 11 year old girls compete with. The same G19 that most trainers will be carrying and instructing with. The same G19 that most LEO, LTCH holders and even thugs carry.

Send your daughter to class, with your G19, carry rig and a bunch of ammo. She NEEDS to be able to effectively shoot THE most carried pistol out there. It might not always be her own pistol that she is shooting, or needs to be shooting. Being able to effectively shoot the most likely pistol that will be around her is of utmost importance.

It's the same with carry. She needs to be able to carry a "full sized" pistol and related gear. She needs to be familiar with how to dress around it also. How to not feel as if it's weird to walk around with an effective modern high capacity pistol.

She can decide what to buy herself, when she can make an informed decision. It's you, as her mentor, to help her to be informed. A good place to start is with the most carried sidearm out there. It only makes sense right? She NEEDS to be able to effectively shoot THE most carried pistol out there.

New shooters can specialize later, after they are educated. After they have been to training and had thousands of rounds down range, then they can better decide how or if they need to change to a different pistol.

I'm not totally disagreeing with you. While she doesn't compete in any shooting sports, the girl just absolutely loves to shoot. Dad and I joke that we have to go to the range without her so we can actually shoot some of our own ammo .
    While neither dad or I own any G guns, she has put several thousand rounds down range with a variety of guns & calibers even though some she thinks are just too much or too snappy (.45acp and .40s&w). She at least has a good understanding of what she doesn't like.
    We have had numerous conversations and she has been "looking" at what she wants for over two years. I'm just trying to make sure she doesn't regret her buy or rush into buying whatever the store has in the case.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I have a family member who is buying their daughter a 9mm for Christmas. I was shocked when I heard this and told my wife it was a mistake. I was told that she did shoot "one" not long ago and thought it was good; noting that it is the one and only she has ever shot. My gut feeling is that this gift will be replaced down the road when experience becomes the driver rather than excitement.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a family member who is buying their daughter a 9mm for Christmas. I was shocked when I heard this and told my wife it was a mistake. I was told that she did shoot "one" not long ago and thought it was good; noting that it is the one and only she has ever shot. My gut feeling is that this gift will be replaced down the road when experience becomes the driver rather than excitement
    I can certainly understand that concern.
    That's why I made sure she had the opportunity to shoot a variety of guns and calibers to at least weed out what she doesn't like.
    I think the biggest obstacles for her are...
    1- making sure she feels she has a secure grip on it
    2- No junk or el cheapo guns (she is a penny pincher)
    3- make sure she has a part in the selection and isn't too easily persuaded by a lgs or box store ninja
    4- make sure she spends enough range time with it to be 100% comfortable with running it on her own
    5- she has to decide if it's something she wants to carry or just have for home defense/range time etc
    And she is being super stubborn about not letting dad buy or make up price difference..dang kid is just like her dad and grandpa

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    I can certainly understand that concern.
    That's why I made sure she had the opportunity to shoot a variety of guns and calibers to at least weed out what she doesn't like.
    I think the biggest obstacles for her are...
    1- making sure she feels she has a secure grip on it
    2- No junk or el cheapo guns (she is a penny pincher)
    3- make sure she has a part in the selection and isn't too easily persuaded by a lgs or box store ninja
    4- make sure she spends enough range time with it to be 100% comfortable with running it on her own
    5- she has to decide if it's something she wants to carry or just have for home defense/range time etc
    And she is being super stubborn about not letting dad buy or make up price difference..dang kid is just like her dad and grandpa
    Thunderchicken - I understand why you posted the question. Asking the questions shows your wisdom. That said, it seems you've already got this excellently covered! Considering the points you've made, and that she's already got thousands of rounds of experience, and at least two good advisors lean on - I'd say your daughter is in a better spot than many buyers, first time or not!

If you add in the advice often stated above - 'rent one first if you can' - you've got the bases covered. The only other thought (not really advice) would, given the budget, to look at solid used choices. New, pay more, keep it forever, and every scratch a wear mark is her own vs. used, save money, and flip it for about what you paid if you don't like it.

Like buying a first car, she will likely love it what ever it is; and she's got you to steer her away from the polished turds and impulse buys that you know will be a disaster. Very lucky girl!

Best of luck to her finding the right gun for an awesome deal!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thunderchicken - I understand why you posted the question. Asking the questions shows your wisdom. That said, it seems you've already got this excellently covered! Considering the points you've made, and that she's already got thousands of rounds of experience, and at least two good advisors lean on - I'd say your daughter is in a better spot than many buyers, first time or not!

If you add in the advice often stated above - 'rent one first if you can' - you've got the bases covered. The only other thought (not really advice) would, given the budget, to look at solid used choices. New, pay more, keep it forever, and every scratch a wear mark is her own vs. used, save money, and flip it for about what you paid if you don't like it.

Like buying a first car, she will likely love it what ever it is; and she's got you to steer her away from the polished turds and impulse buys that you know will be a disaster. Very lucky girl!

Best of luck to her finding the right gun for an awesome deal!
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Excellent point about used options.
    I confess when I was her age, I went to a LGS and ended up walking out with what looked like a great used gun. Once I got it to the range, I discovered why the previous owner traded it off. Thr darn thing wouldn't run through a full magazine before it would stove

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Excellent point about used options.
    I confess when I was her age, I went to a LGS and ended up walking out with what looked like a great used gun. Once I got it to the range, I discovered why the previous owner traded it off. Thr darn thing wouldn't run through a full magazine before it would stove
    My first 1911 was a train wreck. A Caspian frame with a Colt slide. Not much fitted on it, just a cobbled up mess of parts. I took it to the range was shooting it and the front sight blade fell off.

I told the guy I bought it from that I was going to sell it and he said he wished he had it back so I sold it back to him.

Learned a few things and it didn't cost me anything.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I've tried a handful of different pistols over the last 20 or so years as an EDC, and the one I keep going back to for comfort, accuracy, and conceal is the Shield 9, now upgraded to the Plus. The only problem for me was the thin grip, I had to add a houge slip on grip but if she's got a smaller grip this could be a good choice for her. Definitely worth a try.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Great Suggestion...
    Glock 43, 43x, or 48 might be a great pistol for smaller hands, but cost might be over budget.
    Check out the Taurus G2 Series pistols...they seem to be of better quality than previous production Taurus'...
    I would make sure that your SO's test fire anything before purchasing. My wife consistently had failures with my Glock 43 but not with a Kahr CM9/CW9. For me, the Glock 43 had bullet proof reliability. We all have different grips and for some reason her's didn't agree with the Glock 43...something I wouldn't have ever predicted.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I think Glocks are good guns and if you work with it you get good. If she is going to carry, it is as safe as a good 1911. I had a gen 2 Glock 19 my son carries now. If you can, have her try the different gen Glocks to see which grip she likes

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I think Glocks are good guns and if you work with it you get good. If she is going to carry, it is as safe as a good 1911. I had a gen 2 Glock 19 my son carries now. If you can, have her try the different gen Glocks to see which grip she likes
    I'm with you on this one...I prefer a Gen 4 frame Glock pistol whereas my wife prefers a Gen 2 or a Gen 5...mainly because she doesn't like the finger bumps! In the end, she went back to her Beretta 92, for which I picked up a DAO Centurion model so we could carry the same caliber and magazines!

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Simplicity being the best in a stressful situation I would recommend a safety free striker fired weapon if she will be carrying. Glock, Springfield, Ruger, & S&W all have good quality offerings, find the one that fits her hañd the best and go test it and then the rest.

1gunaholic

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 10, 2021
    Central Indiana
    Great Suggestion...
    Glock 43, 43x, or 48 might be a great pistol for smaller hands, but cost might be over budget.
    Check out the Taurus G2 Series pistols...they seem to be of better quality than previous production Taurus'...
    Being a Glock fanatic, I'd agree on the single stack G43. The X only gives you more rounds (longer grip) which she wouldn't necessarily need. I've seen plenty G43's here for sale - one just went for $380.

Top Bottom