• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rycollier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2010
    I reloaded a bunch of 9mm a while ago. I just shot most of them off last weekend but the Beretta I was using wouldn't rechamber. Is there any other explanation other than a too light power load?

rycollier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2010
    details

115gr FMJ
    4gr 231 winchester powder
    primers are winchester small pistol
    just opened one up to check the charge and it was right on 4gr

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Was this a failure to feed, like the rounds were not stripping off the magazine, or was it the gun wouldn't go fully into battery?

How much crimp did you use? 9mm needs a taper crimp to perform best. If you take the barrel out of your gun does a round drop freely into it and then back out again when you turn it over?

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Is the fired case extracting and ejecting? If not it may be short stroking which means you have (1) too much spring and/or (2) too light of a load or possibly (3) limp wristing the gun.

If it is only not feeding, where is the round stopping? Is the nose of the bullet on the feed ramp.?if so, a light polish with 1000 grit sandpaper wrapped around an empty case works well. Also, if the magazine is old/used, a fresh spring can work wonders here.

If the round is catching on the barrel hood, look at the magazine's feed lips. If they are too far apart, this can case a premature jump to the barrel.

Also, what OAL are you loading to? Check the OAL of the reloads to a similar factory load (e.g. Winchester White Box). If you are on the short end of the range, try running it out a little bit. That, generally, will help smooth out functioning issues.

rycollier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2010
    I'm thinking it's the light load. The book I have must be outdated or just screwed up. But its in the trash now.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I wouldn't toss the book out just yet. As has been asked, what exactly is it that the gun won't do? I makes a difference. When you say it won't "rechamber", what do you mean? It stovepipes? Fails to eject? Won't go into battery?

Give a little more info and I'm sure we can find the culprit.

rycollier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2010
    It wouldn't fully eject the spent brass. Seemed like a pressure issue to me. Other mfg bullets worked fine. In my book it said that 4 gr was starting point and 5.2 max. It is a really old Lyman's book.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    You may be right. If it wouldn't eject spent brass it is possibly loaded too lightly or you might be limp wristing. If other rounds don't cause the issue, I'd say you found your gremlin.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    You can test that by holding the gun very tightly and shooting. If it cycles, up the load a bit and it'll work.

Top Bottom