9mm SBR...suppressor under the handguards or no?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Revopop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Evansville, the Shallow South
    So I'm finally getting off my ass and buying parts for my 9mm SBR, but I can't decide how I want to configure it. I had originally planned to get a handguard longer than the barrel so the can would be partially covered cause it just looks so cool, but then I thought it might be nice to be able to shoot the rifle without the suppressor. I have a Thompson Machine Isis so I use it for 9mm pistols and rimfires as well, so I might want to use the rifle alone while I've got the can on something else. Any insights?

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I put my foregrip just slightly behind end of barrel, have no problems firing w/o suppressor. Would not let another shooter try it w/o suppressor, just in case.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If you have a suppressor, I dont see why you would ever shoot it un suppressed. I tucked the suppressor on my 300 blk, and I wouldn't do it any other way. My main reason was suppressors get hot, and I wanted to be able to grab the forarm further out without getting burned.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    If you have a suppressor, I dont see why you would ever shoot it un suppressed.

The only reason I have found is if you want a timer to pick up the shot, eg using the gun in a competition.

My 9mm can is inside the rails, and I have shot it w/o the can, but I put a vert grip on (don't usually use them) and put it a ways behind the front of the gun. I don't like to shoot it w/o the can as it doesn't feel the safest, and I've not let others run it wo the can. I wish I had put a couple inches longer rail on to give me more space to hold the gun.

-rvb

21650380.jpg

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I love the look too and plan on doing that with my .300 blk when I SBR it. The only thing that might worry me on the Isis is that if the barrel threads get gummed up, there is a chance of unscrewing the back end of the suppressor when trying to remove it from the barrel. I guess if you were taking it off to put on a semi 9mm pistol with a booster it wouldn't matter, but if you needed the fixed barrel mount for your .22, it could be a pain. This is where a three lug quick connect comes in handy!

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I tucked the can on my .22 SBR. I like the looks but when I remove the can I usually don't get the threaded end to come off. Then if it is really dirty or I want the can on a different host I have to remove the handguard. That is a pain.

My 5.56 is not tucked but my 300 build is a little bit. No can for it yet, so not sure how that will work. I think I will be able to either use a socked or an open end wrench to solve these problems, but haven't tried that yet.

Top Bottom