• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    I have been keeping my eye out for a 9mm semi auto. I have owned an older Ruger P series decocker model. It shot well but I traded it off. I would like to find an older P series again or one of the newer SR9 models. Can anyone who owns one of the newer ones let me know what they think of them? It seems like a lot of the older ones are going for as much or more than some of the newer ones. Any real advantages to one over the other?

I was also considering spending a little more and getting a Beretta 92. I want to go with a 9mm either way. I shot the 9mm I had well and like the idea of higher capacity mags. I realize the advantages of a 40 or even a 45 ACP but also believe in shooting something that you are comfortable with and accurate in shooting.

The purpose is to get something in a higher capacity than my two 357's. Any input on the 3 listed guns above, I would appreciate it.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    The Ruger SR9s are good solid guns. What are you going to use this gun for? EDC, plinking, home protection? These are the key things to be brought into play.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Nothing wrong with Ruger but if can get a Beretta 92 that is what I would get, I had both and both would get the job done but I feel the Beretta is made better.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I have a ruger p95, and have rented a beretta 92fs. Personally, I was't a fan of the 92. It just wazn't comfortable. I'd go with the ruger.

jimbob488

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    MERRILLVILLE INDIANA
    ?

The P series ruger are well made the newer p95 is a good value
    I personally think its better than the 92fs because I have seen more than one guy during a reload use the sling shot method and then not pay attention and try and shoot and find out that the safety was engaged. if you do go with a 92 series use your support hand to use the slide release during a speed reload less chance of putting on that safety that way

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So, OP, are you only looking for something in a largish SA/DA pistol?

For what purpose is the handgun to be used?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Like others have said, without knowing what you want it for it is hard to recommend something. Personally I'm a big fan of Sig P226 or P229. Both a fine handguns but P229 is little better if you want it to be your EDC.

I would strongly suggest that you try out as many guns as you can yourself before making a decision. Good luck on your purchase.

brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I currently carry a P95 and love it. Handles well, high cap mag and easy to hide under a loose shirt. Shot the SR9 as well and have just as high praise for it. Either way is Ruger is a decent choice. If it is for carry though, I would tend to push you towards the SR series as I am looking at one for myself :)

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    When it comes to 9MM, I have to trust my 1963 Walther P38. I have never had a solitary problem with it. I picked it up at Bradis in 2007 for around $250. It came with an original German duty holster and an extra mag. I rarely carry it, but it is a wonderful part of my collection. Probably not the advice you're looking for, but I had to interject my :twocents:.

bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    Purpose

So, OP, are you only looking for something in a largish SA/DA pistol?

For what purpose is the handgun to be used?

Mainly want something in a higher capacity than my revolvers. I want a larger frame. I will keep this for home defense and for recreational shooting purposes. I really like the Ruger P series since I owned one in the past and was really wondering about the differences with an SR9. Also, it seems like a nicer P series will be close to the price of a newer SR9 from what I see.

I really doubt I will spend extra for a 92fs although I have no doubt it is a fine weapon. In the same light, I doubt that I will spend extra for a Sig either. Down the road, I will be getting one of my dads former duty Sig in a 45.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    You can get a decent used P series DC online at auction for around $200. Add a Ramline mag for about $20 and you have a flush-fit 18+1. For that price you can afford two, since two is one and one is none.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    If you like the 92 the px4 uses similar action and function. It is a fun shooter. It was my first handgun. You can get them I believe in 9, 40 and possibly 45. I bought mine used for around $400, so looks like it maybe slightly higher then the ruger (don't know much about them but some said $200?)I. So the px4 might fall in between the ruger and the 92.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    On a budget - P95 (I have one, too. Nice gun.) Alternatively you could get the ultimate man-stopper for about the same price; a shotgun w/ slugs or double O(uch) buckshot. I recently picked up a *new* maverick 88 security 8-shot for under $200 on CTD.

Extra $$ - Glock with a 33rnd mag (I have a 17C for HD, and it shoots quite nice and flat in rapid fire, even one handed). Glocks will have WAY more options down the road for parts and accessories. If it's only for range and HD, I'd get a 17 of some sort for best reliability, more standard capacity, power (longer barrel), and longer sight radius (than the other smaller Glock 9mm models).

M&P full size is second (although first, if you want an ext. safety) to the glock.

I suggest a tactical light for any HD gun you get. I like night sights on mine too, even if only for being able to find the thing easily in the dark if I'm disoriented.

GEM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Where I belong
    I would handle as many different 9mms as possible. Everyone has their opinion but only you will know what feels comfortable to you.

I couldn't agree more. I LOVE my SR9C - fits my hand very well and I LOVE the 17-round magazines. Gives the gun a little more anchor against my hand. But again, everyone's size & shape is different. The price of the gun was affordable as well. Good luck. :draw:-G-

Top Bottom