• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I see people ready just what they want to read.
    As I stated, it is my first shot to be followed quickly by a Defensive round.

If you want to depend on a less than effective shot payload for your first shot, I hope that the rest of your family is separated from both you and the intruder by an impregnable barrier, and that you have as multiple six figure life insurance policy on yourself.
    As I posted earlier, you need to overcome your natural human squeamishness about using a proper expanding bullet that will reliably incapacitate and likely cause death to said intruder.
    Time to stop believing movie myths that propel such nonsense as deliberately shooting people in the leg as a "less lethal" alternative.
    You have been given advice given in good faith, much of it spoken from experience, including from at least one active member of the law enforcement profession, yet you're convinced that you have some great unrevealed knowledge that the rest of us do not have.
    I don't think you're getting it.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

Does your pistol cycle the shot 100% of the time?

If I ever get faced with a shoot situation I hope that I am able to get the second shot off.... and I will be running Gold Dot 124 gr +p ammo.

Happy and Safe New Year to all!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    1) Name 1 LE agency or military unit that concurs with this brilliant idea and issues shot for duty pistols.

2) If you're worried about accuracy, are your second shots more accurate than your first? That isn't the case for most people.

3) If you're having trouble hitting your target, how much will the shot really help?

4) And if you aren't confident you can hit the target, you don't have a hardware problem, you have a software problem. The bee in that 9mm isn't going to make you a better shot. Quality range time will make you a better shot. Skillful coaching will make you a better shot.

5) If you want to solve this with hardware, get an AR. Practice with it and put some Black Hills Mk 262 or Hornady TAP in it. Much easier to get hits with, and better for stopping assailants.

6) You've already admitted to what is a common problem with these rounds: unreliable cycling. You should probably spend some serious time on malfunction drills. Or, you know, you could spend that time learning how to hit a person at 10 feet.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

The vast majority of gun fights are over in about 3 rounds, one way or the other. The very best predictor of who wins a gun fight is who gets the first good hit. There are exceptions, and there are ties where both participants fatally wound each other. By giving me .40-.50 seconds to react to your distraction round, to begin to move, etc. you're reducing your odds of prevailing and prevailing uninjured. Not only are you giving your opponent more time before a potentially incapacitating round is fired, you're making the followup shot harder as now he has time to react, to begin instinctively moving, etc. The longer the gun fight goes, the lower the hit rates are.

In short, the first shot is the most important shot. The second shot is the second most important shot, and it trails off pretty quick. More misses, less odds of incapacitating hits, more odds of being hurt or killed yourself, more stray bullets, etc.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    The vast majority of gun fights are over in about 3 rounds, one way or the other. The very best predictor of who wins a gun fight is who gets the first good hit. There are exceptions, and there are ties where both participants fatally wound each other. By giving me .40-.50 seconds to react to your distraction round, to begin to move, etc. you're reducing your odds of prevailing and prevailing uninjured. Not only are you giving your opponent more time before a potentially incapacitating round is fired, you're making the followup shot harder as now he has time to react, to begin instinctively moving, etc. The longer the gun fight goes, the lower the hit rates are.

In short, the first shot is the most important shot. The second shot is the second most important shot, and it trails off pretty quick. More misses, less odds of incapacitating hits, more odds of being hurt or killed yourself, more stray bullets, etc.

If only you had some evidence to back this up...

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    let me ask you this!
    what does a person do if a BEE stings them.
    They are distracted and temperarly stop what hey are about to do.
    An very quick off placement shot could distract the offender.
    That would let me place my next round which is a HD center mass.
    Now everyone is a Anny Okley of Matt Dillon.
    Not everyone can hit center mass on their first shot in every Situation.
    I never thought that a tiny pellet would be a fatal shot.
    IT WILL DO HARM.

But that is your choice.
    I never mention that you should what I wrote about.
    I just gave my Evaluation and Opinion.

It is foolish to think that someone who has invaded your home will be distracted by something as insignificant as a bee sting, or its ballistic equivalent, a 9mm shot load. A lethal force encounter is a high stress situation, not a walk in the park interrupted by a bee sting. Blood pressure will be up, adrenaline will be flowing, and a burglar will likely not even notice that he has been shot. I've read multiple accounts of gunfights where the winning person didn't even know that they were shot when it was over, despite indeed having been shot.

Obviously, you are free to do what you want. But you are ignoring people who know what they are talking about. Several people on this board are law enforcement and military, and have observed the outcomes of violent encounters involving firearms in the real world. NOBODY who understands ballistics and the factors involved in violent encounters would ever load a pistol with any kind of shot round whatsoever for use in protecting themselves and their loved ones.

Use a high quality self defense round in a reliable pistol and forget this 9mm shot nonsense.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Lets think about this scenario... If someone is in your house, and say you are somehow alerted while you are sleeping. You know something bad is happening, he may not. He may not know where you are. He is in YOUR house, you should have the upper hand. If it was me and my house, I'd likely grab a loved one if present, and camp out in whatever room we are in. If the dude walks in the room you are in, unless you are really distracted or something, you SHOULD have the first shot. I realize making several shots shouldnt take too long, however if there is questionable reliability, or decent cover of a hallway or something for the BG, I'd make my fist shot count.
    Obviously there are multiple scenarios, but in my house, I don't think a bad guy would be in my room by the time I was alerted. If he was, I'm probably screwed anyway.

Top Bottom