• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    They weren't horrible. Accuracy wise but definitely some fliers that I didn't have with the factory and it was very solid for about 12-15 yards.

The part I enjoyed most was my factory glock barrel was much more accurate than my storm lake barrel lol.

Here is the best pic I could get. This one almost looks grooved.

"fliers" are typical of over crimped plated bullets. ... and that looks like a lot of crimp! :)

factory glock barrels are very accurate!

-rvb

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Accuracy was high meaning the bullets were all hitting about 3 inches higher than where I was aiming and stacking the factory ammo. That was the worst of the ones I pulled but they all had that ring just not as deep as on that one.

Primers are all seated and flush I could probably run them a touch deeper as you can adjust it on the 1050 but was nervous about seating them too deep or crushing them.

I guess I'll just run them as practice ammo and what doesn't shoot just doesn't shoot. at least I'll get plenty of malfuntion practice lol.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I guess I'll just run them as practice ammo and what doesn't shoot just doesn't shoot. at least I'll get plenty of malfuntion practice lol.

don't want to loose 1k of components.

next time you're working up a new load, load a couple dozen or so to test. :)

The 1050 is a beast of a press, but it's not magic. make sure everything is dialed in before turning it loose...

-rvb

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Yeah I got complacent on this go round I think. Which is a bad thing but these rounds are a good lesson. I have loaded 5k or more of this exact round but I didn't really double check everything on it when I switched back over from 223 like I shoukd have I guess.

Luckily it was just 9mm so not out big money on the crappy ammo lol. I appreciate the info.

Thanks for all the replies from everyone and the help

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I didn't really double check everything on it when I switched back over from 223 like I shoukd have I guess.

ugh, you're switching dies in and out of your press? You need another toolhead so you don't have to mess with your dies. yes, toolheads are expensive on the 1050, but hell, if you can afford the 1050 you can afford a couple toolheads.

-rvb

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Pull the barrel out of your pistol and chamber check your ammo. The only possible problem with an over crimp is that the cartridge goes too deep in the chamber. I have never seen it happen, but doing this should put your mind at ease.

BTW, I have never measured the amount of crimp. I drop check in a barrel and tighten crimp until there is no drag when dropping it in. I don't know what you think what catastrophic thing might happen with a tight crimp.....

+1 this way will always work. If you like a little more convenience, I have ammo gauges in my reloading kit.

Like these:Dillon Handgun Case Gauges (dhcg): Reloading: Reloading Machine Accessories at Dillon Precision

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    flush = not fully seated. they need to be a couple thousandths below flush. slightly crushing is ok, encouraged even.

-rvb

Actually, the reason why primers are safe to be in the shipping pipeline to your POP is because the anvil is separated from the primer pellet during manufacture. The primer installer is required to crush the anvil into the primer to activate it.

This is why the first hit of the firing pin on an improperly seated primer corrects that condition and the second hit makes the loud noise we seek.

I am an old EOD guy. I know about this stuff. Just a little.

Top Bottom