• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have come to the conclusion I don't have a load I like for me 9 mm 1911 for shooting steel plate.
    I used to use lead 147gr over 3.2 of tightgroup which was very accurate but to darn smokey. I have been trying other loads but don't seem to have the right one yet.
    I am curious what some of you are using.
    I don't mind lead or jacketed I just want something soft that with still give enough speed I can hear it hit.

I no longer want to use tightgroup

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    95 grain MG with 6.1 Autocomp. 100 S&S cast with the same load.
    This is out of an STI Steelmaster.
    You only need a minimum of 750 fps for steel and enough recoil energy to cycle the firearm reliably. Shooters that load down for steel normally reduce the weight of the recoil spring.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    For some reason my gun shoot the lead 147's a lot better than plated. I have tried a few different loads with TG but not found an acceptable load accuracy wise. 125 gr run good both lead, plated or jacketd. I really want a different powder though.
    Was thinking of VV N320.

I like the 147 a lot just want to get away from tight group. I don't use it in any thing else anymore for various reasons.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Ok I will agree the bullets I shot last Friday were real smokey. What do you guys think of the precision bullets there the black cast ones in 147

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I started using Montana Gold 115 grain bullets with Solo 1000 for steel, and it's my favorite load thus far. If I'm must loading something for practice, I'll use lead 124 grain bullets with Winchester WST.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have heard good things about Solo, I may give that a try. I need to place a MG order anyway. Funny thing is I don't think I have ran a 115 gr bullet through this gun in the 4 years I have had it. Seems unnatural. :)

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The smoke is not from TiteGroup. I use TiteGroup for plated and jacketed hp and have had no issues with smoke at all.

You have no issues because you're using jacketed bullets. TG and lubed lead bullets tend to smoke quite a bit because TG is one of the hottest burning powders (highest nitroglycerin content of any pistol powder).

The recommendation for 95s is a good one. Just make sure they run the gun and are accurate to 35 yds. Don't hesitate to reduce spring weights.

Otherwise, I think any load that makes minor PF for USPSA is a good steel load. I like a 115 JHP with 4.ish of N320 or N330.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    95 grain MG with 6.1 Autocomp. 100 S&S cast with the same load.
    This is out of an STI Steelmaster.
    You only need a minimum of 750 fps for steel and enough recoil energy to cycle the firearm reliably. Shooters that load down for steel normally reduce the weight of the recoil spring.

ok sorry to jack the thread but what difference does the velocity make?

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    A minimum 750 fps is a rule for Steel Challenge.
    For a given bullet weight, less velocity = less felt recoil.

So it has nothing to do with the steel itself, only the rules of the competition.

Gotcha. I was gonna say, if it was about the steel, it sounded like a crock of sh*t to me. Thanks for clearing that up.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    95 gr bullets is something I have not considered. I took some WWB out tonight just to see how my gun ran with 115's . It liked them just fine and was accurate.
    Not bad recoil I could just use those and not load for this.
    I would really be curious to try some 95's but don't really want to buy a new bullet and powder without knowing if they run in my gun. I have light recoil springs but would some one be willing to let me test a few of their 95's??

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    95 gr bullets is something I have not considered. I took some WWB out tonight just to see how my gun ran with 115's . It liked them just fine and was accurate.
    Not bad recoil I could just use those and not load for this.
    I would really be curious to try some 95's but don't really want to buy a new bullet and powder without knowing if they run in my gun. I have light recoil springs but would some one be willing to let me test a few of their 95's??
    Yes

Top Bottom