• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Went out to the range this morning (walked across the front yard, lol) to do some shooting with my daughter's boyfriend. He has a recently built AR in 9mm that he wanted to put some more rounds through.
    After seven rounds, he had a failure to eject issue. Upon closer inspection, we saw that a case had separated just ahead of the case head. The front half of the case was stuck in the chamber. Tried running a rod down from the muzzle but it wouldn't catch the case mouth. (Didn't think that it would)
    Ended up grinding a very acute angled point on the tail of a chainsaw file. Smoothed everything out really well and tapped it in between the case and chamber from the breech end. After it separated from the chamber wall a tick, I was able to knock it free with the rod from the muzzle end.
    My first thought was a 7.62 broken case extractor that I have somewhere from my old Infantry days with the M60 machine gun but I couldn't put my hands on it, this morning.
    I am thinking that this would be a real bad situation, in a fire fight.
    Don't know too many people that carry a broken she'll extractor for the weapon they have on them.

Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    I have had this problem numerous times with my stag model 6. So I am one of those people who does have a broken shell extractor for every caliber rifle I shoot. Keep them in my range bag, saved the day more than once.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Quick check on the Web didn't locate at 9mm broken shell extractor. Wouldn't a .30 Carbine one work?

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    At the range it's a hassle and might end a good day of shooting. In a firefight, I think you're going to be out-of-luck unless the first round did the job. I can't imagine having time to dislodge a stuck case while bullets are whizzing by...

I'm wondering were these reloads or new factory loaded rounds? I've had this happen with reloads, probably ones that should have been discarded, but never with factory new. But I suppose it's possible even with new ammo if a defective case made it past QC.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Note to self: Do NOT, under any circumstances, fire daughter's BF's hand loads in my 9mm pistols!

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Unless you buy the brass new and track the amount of reloads, a separated case could happen at any time, I suppose.
    I have shot mixed, range pick up brass and bought used brass for 25+ years and don't remember any broken cases.

bulletbaron

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    NW Indiana
    What most likely happened is "Case Head Separation", some time ago Ammo Load/Freedom Ammunition/X-Treme Bullets imported from Turkey some really low quality 9mm casings, myself and other commercial reloader have been plagued with this disease, the head stamps to watch for are AMMOLOAD (both bock & cryptic lettering), the initials "IBT and "FM", to remove the 9mm casing "tube" left in the chamber, a Number "T" drill bit works perfectly. If by chance you do not believe me, check out the Internet, there are Brass Merchants who now say that their casings are "FREE" of those head stamps. Another one to watch for is the Cuban Crap out of Miami, Florida labeled "A-MERC", they finally went out of business about 10 years ago!

bulletbaron

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    NW Indiana
    What most likely happened is "Case Head Separation", some time ago Ammo Load/Freedom Ammunition/X-Treme Bullets imported from Turkey some really low quality 9mm casings, myself and other commercial reloader have been plagued with this disease, the head stamps to watch for are AMMOLOAD (both bock & cryptic lettering), the initials "IBT and "FM", to remove the 9mm casing "tube" left in the chamber, a #"T" drill bit works perfectly. If by chance you do not believe me, check out Google. there are Brass Merchants who now say that their casings are "FREE" of those head stamps. Another one to watch for is the Cuban Crap out of Miami, Florida labeled "A-MERC", they finally went out of business about 10 years ago!

Top Bottom