• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    I have not been very comfortable carrying a full sized pistol, so I am opting to have the option of a subcompact model for everyday carry. I prefer the 9mm since I have injured my shoulder and the recoil of my favorite 1911 has proven too much to bear.
    Any suggestions?
    thanks in advance

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Better try one before you buy if recoil is an issue. Light weight amplifies
    felt recoil on these little guns.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I have both the G26 in 9mm and the new XDs in .45. The XDs is easier to carry and I THINK the recoil, although different, is comparable to the G26. But, the bottom line is, you really need to try them out for yourself.

Good shopping, and good luck! :yesway:

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Kahr PM9 would fit the bill. The XDsc is a good option, although a little FAT.

We should probably ask for some more information first. What do you prefer? Striker fired, DA\SA transition, DAO, SAO, Flintlock? As mentioned, the smaller the gun, the bigger the felt recoil...

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    All very good firearms.
    Subcompacts: SR9c, M&P9c, G26
    Micro 9s: LC9, PF9 (I've had both & ended up with LC9)

We had an LC9 as well. Very concealable, however the trigger pull is crazy long. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but the wife opted for a different handgun after a short time. Not to say it's inaccurate - but you really have to concentrate on fundamentals at the range to get decent groups. Even though it's not a "range" gun, it succeeded in turning her off pretty quickly.

:dunno:

prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN

We should probably ask for some more information first. What do you prefer? Striker fired, DA\SA transition, DAO, SAO, Flintlock? As mentioned, the smaller the gun, the bigger the felt recoil...
    It would not matter what kind of action. It would be nice if it had both though. My regular kimber ultra has ended up as a safe queen since my injury.

jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    I would suggest the PPS though it may be considered compact not subcompact, it's not a pocket gun. It conceals nicely inside or outside the belt and comes in 9 or 40.

On the plus side you have a thin gun with a short grip when using the 6 capacity mag little longer with the 7 and full length with the 8. Recoil is a bit sharper than a full size but not overly so due to it's 19 oz weight. It's fun to shoot. For me it has been 100% reliable and I trust it.

Negatives? Cost of magazines. Some might consider the price of the small gun on the high side. The only real negative for me is the mag release on the trigger guard and that can be overcome with training.

Good luck with your search.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    the beretta nano is another great option for you. Hides really well and the recoil is not much of anything. Look at a Kahr Cw 9 also in that price range.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

We should probably ask for some more information first. What do you prefer? Striker fired, DA\SA transition, DAO, SAO, flintlock? As mentioned, the smaller the gun, the bigger the felt recoil...

:laugh:

OP, I have never been disappointed with my Glock 26. But it's fat. I think the Shield is the thin girl in that clique, if you find width to be a concern. While I personally don't own (and probably won't) an XD, I was impressed with the accuracy and fit in my hand despite their rather significant difference in grip angle from the Glock. Taking that one step further, the XD is closer to the 1911 in that regard and many 1911 shooters seem to prefer it over the Glock for this reason. (I must be a freak because I love the Glock and the 1911 and the difference has never been an issue for me!).

There's always the hammered Sig (maybe a P250 or P238??? Sig guys help me out here), HK (USP Compact). I don't know if those would be considered small enough though. Just how small do you want to go? Carry-in-the-pocket small? I think that limits the options a bit more. And I wouldn't want to go with a hammered version, but that's just me.

Also, what price range?

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    We had an LC9 as well. Very concealable, however the trigger pull is crazy long. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but the wife opted for a different handgun after a short time. Not to say it's inaccurate - but you really have to concentrate on fundamentals at the range to get decent groups. Even though it's not a "range" gun, it succeeded in turning her off pretty quickly.

:dunno:

I'm glad you said that. I have been looking at the LC9 but have been concerned with the small frame bite. I carry heavy guns so they don't bite but would like something more lightweight.

lobowind

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    West of Indy
    I absolutely love my Glock 26 Gen 4. Easy to shoot, easy to conceal, but not really a pocket gun for us gals. I guess we need to know how you want to carry.

I had some trouble with the little pocket pistols I had tried hurting the joints in my hand. I definitely preferred my Glock.

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Before you dump on the 45, try a USP. They recoil less than the 1911. Also, I don't know how worth it, it is to you, but you could do some heavy customization to your gun (slide lightening, and matching recoil springs). If the USP is too much for you, ya, you might want to step down. Of course, at that point I would say to try out a USP in 9mm. You are already used to a full size 1911, a full size USP isn't any bigger.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Most would agree that the best gun for you is the one that fits. Shoot as many different models as you can before deciding. I myself very much enjoy my XD9SC. I added the Pearce Extension to the short mag to help with accuracy and it did just that.

Top Bottom