• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Does anyone here use #7 for their 9mm rounds? I was able to get some along with Berrys 124 copper plated bullets.

According to accurates website they recommend starting at 6.7 gn and I'm working my way up to 7gn. Not very impressed with the accuracy at 6.7 gn.

7.0 gn seems to start the beginnings of flattening the primers.

They recommend 1.16 oal.

Any thoughts on what would work better?

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I wouldn't recommend AA 7 for your purposes. Personally I use that in my 5.7 ammo: It is pretty potent stuff. I would recommend either WIN 231 or AA No 2 for your purposes.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    Lymann 49th Edit9thion shows. AA #7 for 125 gn FMJ, is also a most accurate load. Since this is an FMJ you reduce your charge by about 15 or 20% for a cast bullet. Looks like your in powder range again this is for 125gn so you should be good with the OAL given.
    OAL 1.075
    125gn
    7.0gn to max of 7.8gn

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Just a couple of thoughts:

If a powder company lists their one of their powders as part of a load recipe, it has been found to be suitable. AA#7 is absolutely a suitable powder for 9x19 loads, especially with medium to heavy bullets. AA#2 is also suitable, but probably better with lighter bullets. AA#5 is a good all-around powder for 9mm.

Starting loads are typically not very accurate, so work your way up toward max and you'll likely find something that works better for you. At the same time, accuracy with cast bullets is often a function of their size (diameter) more than the load recipe you use. It's not at all unusual for older 9mm barrels to be larger than .355", which would require a cast bullet to be sized larger in order to be accurate.

You mention that primers started to look flattened at 7.0 grains. While this is the max charge recommended for cast bullets, it is not yet pushing the envelope in terms of pressure. It would be unusual to actually see primers flattening out with this load.

Top Bottom