• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I hate to post annother thread about this, but my question is a little different. Can anyone point me to a good comparrison, that is more than opinion, but perhaps a study, perhaps ballistics out of similar guns?
    I have seen some, but they might compare a full sized Glock to a Compact XD. I would not call that a good comparrison. It might be better than nothing, but not quite at the scientific level.
    I guess it would be really cool to have a side by side test with average 9 FMJ weight with an average .40 FMJ weight same manufacture/line on ammo, and same manufacture/line on the guns. For example Glock full size 9mm Glock .40, Winchester 9mm FMJ, .40 S&W (pick the average/most common weight for each??). You might even compare hollow points in a similar method.
    I would love to see balistics gel, accuracy, muzzle velocity etc. with this kind of (more scientific) data comparrison.
    Does this exist anywhere? I have searched for it on the internet. There is a lot of opinion, some are probably valid, and I know there are good arguments on both sides. I will just say that there are good reasons for both, but I am trying to make a fairly educated decision on this, and I am struggling for a good comparrison other than "I think ____ is best because____", without much of a scientific approach to it.
    There are some very valid opinions, I want to take any bias and gut feeling out of it. I am want to isolate it to the ballistics for the round, not the gun. Yep, that is hard due to there being several variables and differences between the 2 different rounds/loading/powder/weight.
    Any help??? Thanks!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    For handguns, regardless of the caliber, bullets of similar construction, with similar sectional densities, propelled at similar velocities, with similar rates of expansion will penetrate to similar depths creating correspondingly sized holes depending on the caliber.

What else do you want to know?

other guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana
    a 9mm is basically the same as a 38 in diameter. I like to think of the bullet as a rock you are throwing. So, A 9mm and 38 is the same size rock, but the 9mm is beng thrown a little harder. Now the 40 cal is a bigger rock thrown at least as fast. it has more knockdown power. it has more recoil and cost more than 9mm. if I only had one gun I think I would go with the 9mm.

other guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana
    Hey I don't mean to talk to you like you are a little kid. It's just that i think like a kid, and I find it easier to explain that way. Works for me

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    No problem other guy. I am asking because I don't know and I want to learn. I know there are a lot of threads and lots of info on the internet, but what I have seen so far is a little less than scientific. I have seen some tests, but I am just looking for some real good data.

Thanks Plinkuh and cjacobs for your info. I will review.

Sailor, I understand your point, and I don't really disagree with it, but I like to make sure I am getting what I want/need when I spend $400 + dollars. I cannot buy both, or have several every type of gun, so I just want to be informed.

With guns, you cannot usually just take it for a test drive and see if you like it. You can get your hands on it. You can ask questions, and you can shoot what is available to you. You can make comparrisons, but I have not found a dealer that will let you take the display model or a couple to the range to test what you like and dislike about similar, but different guns.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    LE - Wound Ballistics

This is a link to testing of Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot ammo through ballistic gelatin and various barrier materials. Service handgun calibers are similar in performance with quality defensive ammo.

It seems to me that your budget is an important consideration in choosing a defensive handgun. If that's the case, get yourself a 9mm from a reputable manufacturer and live happily ever after. 9mm has been around since 1902, because it works.

As long as you go with a service caliber (9mm, .357 Sig, .40, .45), a platform that you can shoot well is more important than fractions of an inch in bullet diameter.

Top Bottom