• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    So on 12/20, I got a holiday bonus in my paycheck. Since Christmas presents were all bought and bills were all paid, I decided to invest the extra cash. I placed an order for one SG and one FG US Rifle Caliber .30 M1 and two tins of HXP M2 Ball.

I'd be happy with anything; but, my rifle collecting interest centers around WWII, so what arrived today is nothing short of a Christmas miracle.

Both rifles were made by Springfield Armory in 1944(June and October), both would seem to have their original WWII barrels and the FG actually has a stock that could be original.

CMPSAsgfgJunOct1944-20141230-00RightFull_zps1e609743.jpg

The SG is in the 2.9 million range with a SA-5-44 barrel. It measures MW 1 and TE 4. All the parts that I can easily see are SA with the exception of an IHC windage knob.

CMPsgSAJune1944-20141230-01RightFull_zpsddd0aa05.jpg

CMPsgSAJune1944-20141230-02HealSN_zps9a56c43a.jpg

CMPsgSAJune1944-20141230-03BarrelDate_zpse8dadee2.jpg

The FG is in the 3.2 million range with a SA-10-44 barrel. It measures MW 2 and TE 2. All the parts that I can easily see are SA. It also has lock bar sights and a very correct SA stock(...the hand guards look to be replacement). To me the FG is the neatest of the two; but, I couldn't be more pleased with them both. I mean what are the odds of getting two WWII rifle with original barrels?

CMPfgSA2-141231-01RightSideFull_zps77884afc.jpg

CMPfgSA2-141231-02Barrel_zps099bc930.jpg

CMPfgSA2-141231-03Receiverl_zpsb3253468.jpg

CMPfgSA2-141231-04RightClose_zpsce5a66b2.jpg

CMPfgSA2-141231-07LeftCartouches_zps73e73b44.jpg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Wow. Beautiful.

I'm really glad to see the CMP still has some true gems going out. All the "they're out of guns" hype kinda made me worry.

(Nice Christmas bonus too!)

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Congratulations, you could have made trip after trip for years to hand pick them and not have done any better what a nice surprise I hope they shoot as good as they look.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Congratulations, you could have made trip after trip for years to hand pick them and not have done any better what a nice surprise I hope they shoot as good as they look.

I go to the CMP South Store once a year in May. I have hand picked several field grade rifles...a Win-13, a 6 digit SA...but, I've not picked one as neat as that FG that I got by luck of the draw.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Those look great! CONGRATS!!!! I have owned several Garands and been to the North store several times. Hard to beat a CMP Garand. Enjoy and go run those beauties.:rockwoot:

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I just got back from the range. I ran 24 rounds through each rifle. They both performed flawlessly. I think a piece of the elevation adjustment is missing. I'm not familiar with the lockbar sights. So, I will have to do some reading. With the final 8 rounds, I made a respectable 7 inch group at 50 yards with the FG shooting from the sitting position with no sling. I am very pleased with both of these M1s.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I go to the CMP South Store once a year in May. I have hand picked several field grade rifles...a Win-13, a 6 digit SA...but, I've not picked one as neat as that FG that I got by luck of the draw.
    I bought the ugliest FG prom queen on the racks from the Anniston location about ten years ago, after measuring the T/ME numbers on most of them it caught my eye with a Danish VAR barrel that measured at 1ME/2TE, that sucker chases the same hole at 100 yards for the first three shots on a cold barrel and it's my all time favorite M1 albeit by far the ugliest one I own.

I'm sure glad they sent you a nice pair like that, after talking to the guys at the South store two years back on my last visit they sure didn't mix words on the crates having been reduced to pretty much what was left on the back walls.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Well you got me on the hook. I am now working with the shop in Ohio to get my forms filled out and get a CMP class .308. My wife is not happy with you, LOL!

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    You ordered them on 12/20 and got them in less than two weeks?! I thought the wait time was supposed to be months?

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Yes, Sir.

I have been visiting the CMP forum quite a bit. Not only were folks reporting fast turn around times; but, they seemed to be getting really nice rifles, lots of WWII with original barrels, some with new dark walnut stocks. That and the fact that they've been saying for years that there was only 2 years worth of M1s left. And there is...was a price increase coming Jan 1, 2015.

I took a chance. I'm glad I did. That field grade with the lockbar sights and original stock could easily become my new favorite. (...don't tell the others)

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Nice work on acquiring those bits of history.

Apologies on a slight self-serving thread hijack. Circa 1998 a professor of mine guided me through the process of joining a club, shooting a match, and I worked overtime at my minimum wage rent-paying job to acquire my M1 for $400. I would like to stock away a couple more for my kids, but looking around I've had issues figuring out where in central Indiana I can easily join an eligible club, shoot a match, and qualify to make CMP purchases. Any pointers?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Y
    Nice work on acquiring those bits of history.

Apologies on a slight self-serving thread hijack. Circa 1998 a professor of mine guided me through the process of joining a club, shooting a match, and I worked overtime at my minimum wage rent-paying job to acquire my M1 for $400. I would like to stock away a couple more for my kids, but looking around I've had issues figuring out where in central Indiana I can easily join an eligible club, shoot a match, and qualify to make CMP purchases. Any pointers?

Your LTCH will cover the shooting part.
    Join "The Garand Collectors Association" for the club. It's $25 a year and you get a quarterly magazine.
    Print out the paperwork from the CMP website.
    Make sure you print them all out, If I remember correctly you have to send them all in(even the ones you don't fill out).
    Get it notarized
    Send in your money order and sit back and wait for it to be delivered to your doorstep.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Yep.

Appleseed for the live fire...

https://www.appleseedinfo.org/

They hold events regularly all over Indiana. Top notch folks, great instruction, they run a very safe range, over all an amazing experience. I plan to shoot my 3rd this April.

And the Garand Collectors Association for the club...

The Garand Collectors Association

Besides completing eligibility for CMP purchase, the CGA puts out a great quarterly magazine well worth the $25 price of admission.

Top Bottom