• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Meh... even if they did implement this, they are easily disabled. Plenty of people completely disable OnStar easily. Or buy an old mechanically injected diesel.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    from the website:

Is Reason libertarian?Yes. Reason Foundation's mission is to advance a free society by developing, applying, and promoting libertarian principles, including individual liberty, free markets, and the rule of law.

John McCain also says he is a Republican.

BTW, also from the website...

"Reason Foundation is not affiliated with any political party. "

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    The gasoline we buy is taxed but the requirement for higher fuel-efficiency will inevitably lead to lower tax revenues compared to miles traveled. Therefore, the black box idea simply associates mile traveled with tax due - no SUV-vs-hybrid unfairness argument. The fair thing to do then is to have the black box in the vehicle and wirelessly communicate with gas pumps so that each time you refill your tank the presence of the black box triggers the non-taxed pump price AND reports the current odometer reading at the same time. Odometer readings, like meter readings, will be transmitted back to the revenue department which can either send out invoices for mileage tax due or charge an account on file each month/quarter. If the taxes are not paid, when your registration requires renewal any outstanding mileage taxes are also due otherwise you aren't permitted to renew your registration. The black box can also be 'de-activated' which would revert pump prices back to tax-included or even tax-excessive in an effort to recoup the back-owed taxes. Attempts to pay the attendant cash would not waiver the taxes associated with fuel purchases, in order to prevent tax-debtors from attempting to circumvent taxes by avoiding pay-at-the-pump altogether.

I'm not saying I approve - I'm simply illustrating that it really isn't that hard to make it workable and fraud-resistant.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    It's like if some idiot said we should tax all cigarettes so that it will cause fewer people to buy them and so that we can pay for children's healthcare we can't afford.....

Because mutually exclusive goals always work for the best of everyone involved.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    The gasoline we buy is taxed but the requirement for higher fuel-efficiency will inevitably lead to lower tax revenues compared to miles traveled. Therefore, the black box idea simply associates mile traveled with tax due - no SUV-vs-hybrid unfairness argument. The fair thing to do then is to have the black box in the vehicle and wirelessly communicate with gas pumps so that each time you refill your tank the presence of the black box triggers the non-taxed pump price AND reports the current odometer reading at the same time. Odometer readings, like meter readings, will be transmitted back to the revenue department which can either send out invoices for mileage tax due or charge an account on file each month/quarter. If the taxes are not paid, when your registration requires renewal any outstanding mileage taxes are also due otherwise you aren't permitted to renew your registration. The black box can also be 'de-activated' which would revert pump prices back to tax-included or even tax-excessive in an effort to recoup the back-owed taxes. Attempts to pay the attendant cash would not waiver the taxes associated with fuel purchases, in order to prevent tax-debtors from attempting to circumvent taxes by avoiding pay-at-the-pump altogether.

I'm not saying I approve - I'm simply illustrating that it really isn't that hard to make it workable and fraud-resistant.

I understand that you may not approve of this procedure, but I can't believe you took the time to think it through. It's almost like a hostage suggesting to his captor to make sure his shackles are good and tight so that he can't possibly escape and then adding, "Maybe you should gag me as well".

We are already being overtaxed as it is. The more taxes the government collects, the more we finance the governments corruption. It is due to their misappropriation of the taxes collected that have created the supposed problem. The gas taxes were meant to fund road repairs and maintenance, but they have been diverted elsewhere and now the politicians believe they need more to fix the problem. No, we need to replace the politicians and fix our government. They ARE the problem.

Just my :twocents:

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    Kind of sounds like the government working at cross purposes when they push for higher fuel efficiency and alternate fuels then are amazed that tax revenue goes down because less gas is being used.
    Anyone surprised?

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Amen! No arguments here! No, I'm just the techie-type and couldn't resist 'solving' the problem but I absolutely don't think more or different taxes are the answer.

I figured that was the case. After reading the comments on the original article, I just couldn't believe how many people just accepted the proposal for a new tax and would freely give up their privacy as well. I used to think that the American people were intelligent, but I now have serious doubts.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Kind of sounds like the government working at cross purposes when they push for higher fuel efficiency and alternate fuels then are amazed that tax revenue goes down because less gas is being used.
    Anyone surprised?

Did you notice that they neglected to mention that even with the increased fuel economy, we still have increased our fossil fuel usage due to the increase in the amount vehicles that are now on the road. That number has not declined, it has increased and yet they don't even discuss that part of it and many of us just easily accept what they tell us as the truth. They also neglected to mention the increase in shipping due to internet sales and they make darn sure that those commercial trucks are taxed. (A tax that I might add that is passed on to the consumer. So, we end up paying for it anyway.)

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I figured that was the case. After reading the comments on the original article, I just couldn't believe how many people just accepted the proposal for a new tax and would freely give up their privacy as well. I used to think that the American people were intelligent, but I now have serious doubts.

Out of curiosity, have you been abroad for the last couple of decades?

Top Bottom