• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sweet James

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    London
    A guy who runs safaris in Africa asked me to make one of these for him - based on a basic rough tool his boys use to make camp. He wanted it to match a hunting knife I made for him a year ago. This is the result. It is scary!

Bowies681.jpg

Bowies685.jpg

Bowies683.jpg

Bowies686.jpg

:ar15:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Beautiful knife!
    It did make me wonder...What restrictions are there on knives like that in London? Somthing of that size would make some weapon-phobes faint!

Sweet James

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    London
    Beautiful knife!
    It did make me wonder...What restrictions are there on knives like that in London? Somthing of that size would make some weapon-phobes faint!

It's sure not street legal! LOL! I would get an armed police unit swarming over me in the UK. You could take it camping I guess? The customer wants it for Tanzania so no problem for him! Even my wife told me to cover it up! And she's seen it all.

Sweet James

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    London
    Jamie: Now thats a knife! What does something like that go for?

Thanks. It cost as a one off $250! If I made a batch I could make it for less I guess but it's never going to be cheap. It is 24 inches long. 2 inches deep! And very sharp. You can cut a 2" diameter tree in one go with it. We had to make a prototype rough first to make sure it worked. Then we made a pretty one.

thanks for all your kind words thought I would share with you.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    That is an incredible knife. I'm not so sure I would want those beautiful smooth wooden handles though. Maybe something with some texture. How would you like to be the guy that gets hit with that when it fly's out of a sweaty hand.

Sweet James

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    London
    That is an incredible knife. I'm not so sure I would want those beautiful smooth wooden handles though. Maybe something with some texture. How would you like to be the guy that gets hit with that when it fly's out of a sweaty hand.

You've got a good point. It's what the guy wanted but some stag antler or jigged bone might be more practical. Or maybe score the wood, like on a pistol grip?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    sweet that thing is awesome. i need you to design me the ultimate hunting knife. i love knives but i just can't seem to find one that does all i need it to. i like to be able to run up the gut w/ it and then if i need to split the pelvic bone w/ it. design me one like that lol. your knives are beautiful sir

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    SJ -

If you make a "batch" at <$250, I'm in for one. I like that very, VERY much. Almost in a needful things kind of way. That pushes my weakness buttons.

Excellent work!!

Last edited:

Sweet James

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    London
    Here's the baby sister

Thanks for your kind words. Ya making me blush. I made a smaller machete for a guy in Utah to his spec based on an earlier version with a walnut handle.

Bowies699.jpg

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I'm not so sure I would want those beautiful smooth wooden handles though. Maybe something with some texture. How would you like to be the guy that gets hit with that when it fly's out of a sweaty hand.
    I think perhaps a leather lanyard could be placed through the hole in the end of the handle and the around the wrist? That may prevent losing control.....

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Thanks for your kind words. Ya making me blush. I made a smaller machete for a guy in Utah to his spec based on an earlier version with a walnut handle.

Bowies699.jpg

Dang Sweet, your knives get sweeter and sweeter. I think I like this one better than your first one and I realllllly liked your first one. Love the handle on this one, do you have better pics of it.

I'll tell you, good thing you posted this after I had my kids xmas shopping done or they wouldn't of had a very good xmas, but dad would've had a great one :laugh:

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Sickness!!! all i can say is that will kill any crazy animals coming at you in Africa, still rather stay where i am top of the food chain. I dont like things that want to eat me!!!

Top Bottom