• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Turned the A/C for the 1st time last night since the house was up to 80 degrees. A/C worked normal for a couple hours or so. Then I noticed that it was starting to feel warmer but the blower was still going so I opened the door and sure enough the outside unit isn't running. Since it was time for bed I just turned the A/C off for the night. So this afternoon I decided to take a look at it. If I turn the A/C on the outside unit makes a humming noise for a few seconds then stops. I have virtually no knowledge of A/C units but do know that capacitors often go out. So I killed the power and tool a look at the capacitor and sure enough the top is bulged.

I don't know how old the unit is but I'm guessing easily 10+ years. While replacing the cap is there anything else I should be looking out for? Also is there any place around Indy that is open on Saturdays where I could buy the capacitor?

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Reliable parts. Use to be bells. They are open tomorrow and you will pay for that convenience. Cheaper on line. At 10 years I wouldn't put much money into it. Better to buy a new more efficient unit but I would not pass up a cheap fix

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm with Bocefus. Sounds like a blown starter capacitor. Caps are relatively cheap. (under $50?) If in doubt, go bigger. (if they dont stock your exact size)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Best of luck on a cheap fix! I just got dinged with having to replace our 17+ year old unit. Unfortunately the new units use Puron, which operates at about twice the pressure of the old R22 refrigerant, so they had to run a new line set as well. Going to be awhile before I buy anymore guns. :( I guess on the bright side we went from a 10 SEER unit to a 16 SEER unit, so it should save me a few bucks on the electric bill, but that's little consolation at this point.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Best of luck on a cheap fix! I just got dinged with having to replace our 17+ year old unit. Unfortunately the new units use Puron, which operates at about twice the pressure of the old R22 refrigerant, so they had to run a new line set as well. Going to be awhile before I buy anymore guns. :( I guess on the bright side we went from a 10 SEER unit to a 16 SEER unit, so it should save me a few bucks on the electric bill, but that's little consolation at this point.

You also get the warm satisfaction from saving the earth with your new refrigerant. :rolleyes:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't know much about HVAC, only what I have picked up from my brother. But last fall my outside A/C unit wouldn't run. The fan motor inside the unit had quit working and allowed the compressor to overheat...at which point it locked up. Fortunately it was fall and I didn't have to deal with it for a while. Just had the furnace, coil and condenser (outside unit) replaced a couple weeks ago. Good luck hopefully it's a simple fix

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Doubt you are going to find one today.
    PM me the specs on the cap as in mfd and volts. Also is it a 3 post piece as in it runs the fan and compressor. It will hav an Fan, C, Comp. markings by the posts.If I have a spare on my truck its yours.
    I will be pretty busy today but I will tray and check my PM's.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I'm sure cm will have what you need but are the grainger stores open on Saturday?? If so buy 2 there cheap. Hope that is the fix keep us posted

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Thanks CM for the offer! Actually looking at the forecast there isn't much of a rush. I'll just order one online. If it turns out to be more than just the capacitor I'm might enlist your help if you are willing :) The unit definitely has some age on it, the cap is a 3 post but there was enough surface rust on the top I couldn't make out the markings without wiping some of it off. Hoping this is the only issue as I was planning in buying a ZTR mower soon LOL

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks CM for the offer! Actually looking at the forecast there isn't much of a rush. I'll just order one online. If it turns out to be more than just the capacitor I'm might enlist your help if you are willing :) The unit definitely has some age on it, the cap is a 3 post but there was enough surface rust on the top I couldn't make out the markings without wiping some of it off. Hoping this is the only issue as I was planning in buying a ZTR mower soon LOL

With an older unit this could just be a warning of things to come. The older caps are pretty tough compared to the crap they are putting ourt these days.
    With all the power surges/brown outs from the winds lately you might be OK.

If not you know where to find me.....:cool:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    So how'd it turn out? Just the cap or bad news?

I don't know if our old unit (AC + resistance heat) even had a SEER rating but the 16 Seer HP we put in cut the electric bill in half or better year round.

Top Bottom