• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    We are getting ready to go visit my wife's family for a couple days over the Christmas holiday. Exchanging gifts seems a bit awkward because he already has everything he could want. He is a wealthy doctor. So I got to thinking about what I could give of myself. It occurred to me that, although my BIL is not that into guns, he has inherited a few from his father. I am thinking that a good Christmas gift might be me bringing my gun cleaning box with me and go through all his guns making sure that they are cleaned, oiled, and stored properly. His guns probably have not been touched in several years. Hopefully I can enlist the help of his son and we can talk about the grandfather whom the guns came from. We can talk about gun safety, and maybe a little home defence. I think their attitude on guns is neutral, and they all know that I hunt and carry, but it does not bother them. I think it would be a good tribute to my diseased FIL to pass on some knowledge and tradition. Next year when Christmas is at my place. I hope to have them bring along one or two of their guns and we can do some shooting. Maybe some day the his son, my nephew will go hunting with me.

Merry Christmas to All. Tom Travis

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    We are getting ready to go visit my wife's family for a couple days over the Christmas holiday. Exchanging gifts seems a bit awkward because he already has everything he could want. He is a wealthy doctor. So I got to thinking about what I could give of myself. It occurred to me that, although my BIL is not that into guns, he has inherited a few from his father. I am thinking that a good Christmas gift might be me bringing my gun cleaning box with me and go through all his guns making sure that they are cleaned, oiled, and stored properly. His guns probably have not been touched in several years. Hopefully I can enlist the help of his son and we can talk about the grandfather whom the guns came from. We can talk about gun safety, and maybe a little home defence. I think their attitude on guns is neutral, and they all know that I hunt and carry, but it does not bother them. I think it would be a good tribute to my diseased FIL to pass on some knowledge and tradition. Next year when Christmas is at my place. I hope to have them bring along one or two of their guns and we can do some shooting. Maybe some day the his son, my nephew will go hunting with me.

Merry Christmas to All. Tom Travis

I think that is an excellent idea and plan. :yesway:

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Great idea - maybe get a basic cleaning kit to 'leave behind' as well. They're pretty inexpensive. Just a thought.

Yep, I agree. In my family I am the 'gun guy', so every summer, I always make it a point to go visit everyone, and take my cleaning kits, and do a clean up/function check. A nice way to get out and see everyone, and stay in touch. And get nice meal-- sometimes even home cooked. ( I am a typical single guy and not a great cook ))

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    That sounds like a great idea. Please let us know how it turns out.

It went well. While everyone else was involved in playing card games, something I don't do, BIL and I got out his guns and I set up a cleaning station on a table in his basement.

His guns had not been used or cleaned in over 10 years, but they were not in bad shape. I am glad we cleaned them because there were a few spots that showed signs of rust.

His guns are old. They were his father's and grandfathers. One was a Winchester 1912 12ga pump that was in nice shape. There was a newer Winchester pump, I forget the model
    but it was comparable to a Rem 870 with a youth stock that he had when he was a kid. He also had a Ruger .22 SA six shot, and an old Marlin .22 rifle that was different because it
    is bolt action and also tube fed.

He did not know before I explained that guns need to be cleaned and oiled even if they are not used. It would be sad so see them rust.

His son and daughter, both grown are both afraid of guns. He did admit that he kept the newer/smaller Winchester pump loaded and under his bed.
    The others all were unloaded with trigger locks. I guess they had a scare about a year ago. He did express
    an interesting in going to a range or maybe doing some shooting at my place when they come for Christmas next year.

All in all I would say that it was a good idea and I was glad to do my part in preserving his family guns. The whole thing only took about an hour and I was careful not to overdo it.
    He does know that I have a LTCH and I do carry everywhere I go. He did not know that I had two of them on me at the time.

Tom

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Tom, that sounds like a wonderful present for your BIL. I'm glad it turned out well for all of you.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    A doctor into guns?! :runaway:

great idea for a present. Most people are unwilling to give of their time in service to others. Not sure how your relationship was before but I'm guessing it just got a lot better.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My brother in law has passed, so missed out on having one this year. I have quite a few firearms that could use a cleaning and oiling if your cleaning kit is still handy.:):

All kidding aside, that was a good idea, and it will be remembered long after a token sweater or something is long gone. Good Thinking!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Cool idea. I wish I lived near family as this is the type of thing I'd do. My dad was never one to keep the exterior of an automobile in good shape, so I would do stuff like wash and wax his car for a birthday, etc when I lived nearby. Would do similar for my grandparents when they were alive (go over and clean carpets, etc)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Cool idea. I wish I lived near family as this is the type of thing I'd do. My dad was never one to keep the exterior of an automobile in good shape, so I would do stuff like wash and wax his car for a birthday, etc when I lived nearby. Would do similar for my grandparents when they were alive (go over and clean carpets, etc)

I am a grandparent and my car is really dirty....

Sorry, I couldn't resist :):

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I am a grandparent and my car is really dirty....

Sorry, I couldn't resist :):

Sounds like you need to build some more character in those grandkids :ingo: Painting fences, washing cars, and other fun activities will help with that.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom