• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I wanted to update my comments about setback.

Below are two rounds. One is noticeably shorter than the other. That's because it's the first round in my magazine and it has been chambered several times over the last few weeks. Yes, this round is only a couple of weeks old.

The reason it's shorter is due to the setback (bullet being pushed into the case) caused by the act of chambering the round. Each time you chamber the same round, the more the bullet gets pushed back into the case. This is something many people don't think about.

i-x8Dh5RD-L.jpg

i-QxJCNHG-L.jpg

i-nnpQCTL-L.jpg

Why is this a problem? Because as the bullet gets pushed further back into the case it increases the pressure generated by the round when it's fired. If the bullet is pushed back far enough, it can cause an unsafe pressure build-up which results in things like the infamous Glock "ka-boom".

To avoid this problem, I keep fresh rounds in my magazine and never use the same round in the number 1 slot for very long. I move it down the stack and move a new round to the #1 position fairly regularly.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    How dare you post a review like this. Now I have to go out and buy a few boxes of the 147 grain Gold Dots too.:):

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Thanks!

Question, how long do you keep your carry ammo before you shoot it and load new rounds?
    As a general rule I don't keep the same ammo in my carry magazine for more than 2-3 months. During this time I will rotate the #1 round in the mag so that I can avoid setback problems.

That's not to say there's any scientific calculation I've devised to determine this 2-3 month time frame. It's what feels right to me.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    To avoid this problem, I keep fresh rounds in my magazine and never use the same round in the number 1 slot for very long. I move it down the stack and move a new round to the #1 position fairly regularly.

Excellent video, as usual.

I also rotate my carry rounds. Every time I un-chamber a round it finds itself going towards the bottom of the magazine. I also visually check round heights, as you have shown, on a somewhat random basis.

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I don't understand the compression theory here. You have X amount of powder that exerts X amount of pressure regardless of compression, unless the bullet is jammed so tightlly that it can't be shoved free by the explosion. Then a split casing would be the result. Am I missing something? Data please

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I don't understand the compression theory here. You have X amount of powder that exerts X amount of pressure regardless of compression, unless the bullet is jammed so tightlly that it can't be shoved free by the explosion. Then a split casing would be the result. Am I missing something? Data please

Probably the best place to go for data would be a reloading manual. Decreasing the volume of the case will increase the pressure...this is especially critical in low volume handgun cartridges, which can indeed lead to the possibility of bulged casings and split casings as well as increased wear on the firearm or even KBs.

Rifle cartridges can have the opposite problem on the other hand. Too little depth can place the bullet to close to the lands and cause a pressure spike.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

Not quite. Case volume has a big effect on peak pressure. If the bullet gets set back too far, case volume decreases, and peak pressure increase. Powder doesn't explode, it burns.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    I've not heard/read of setback with 9mm as much as with .40, though that may be my own bias, as it's what I shoot (along with 45). Still, good to remember and practice regardless of the caliber.

In addition to rotation of the chambered round, I've read (maybe here? :dunno:) where someone uses a sharpie to mark rounds that have been chambered. When he has a mag full of marked up rounds, he uses them for range ammo. Just another way to keep track. It's all good. :yesway:

Top Bottom