• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    First i want to thank everyone who patiently answers all my stupid questions as i try to learn!

first question; i read alot to stay away from century arms, are there any AK's out there that havent been assembled by them?

second question. i found this AK in .223 on J&G. does any one know if this is just an AR mag or this a actual AK mag of sorts

Romanian AK WASR-3, 223 caliber rifle.

thanks

jake

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    First i want to thank everyone who patiently answers all my stupid questions as i try to learn!

first question; i read alot to stay away from century arms, are there any AK's out there that havent been assembled by them?

second question. i found this AK in .223 on J&G. does any one know if this is just an AR mag or this a actual AK mag of sorts

Romanian AK WASR-3, 223 caliber rifle.

thanks

jake

My century AK-47 & AK-74 both shoot find, but the next AK I buy will be a KREBS Welcome to Krebs Custom - The Ultimate Expression of System Kalashnikov Those AK 223, take a ak type 223 mags, you can't use an AR-15 mag

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    AK specific mag, AKs have a locking lug(for lack of a better word) on the back of the mag.
    Century has always been hit and miss. You might have 5 of the same guns and 4 work great, 1 won't. :dunno:
    They will fix the guns if you wan't to send them back.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    Buy a saiga and convert it yourself. When you can find them they are cheap 300-350 and while doing the conversion you will learn all the ins and outs. Plus who wouldnt love a new production ak and instead of one from an old parts kit. Also going this route makes for a smaller intial investment.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    AK specific mag, AKs have a locking lug(for lack of a better word) on the back of the mag.
    Century has always been hit and miss. You might have 5 of the same guns and 4 work great, 1 won't. :dunno:
    They will fix the guns if you wan't to send them back.
    Truer words were never spoken! (Or typed:))
    I have five Century AK's and I had to send one back in for repairs.
    It was,surprisingly, a Yugo underfolder. The "person" that drilled the gas port in the barrel went through to the other side and chewed up the rifling. :n00b:
    Century sent me a new Yugo. :D

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Normally all AKs mags in 7.62x39 fit any AK in that caliber no matter where made.

That said, the WASR-3 as well as the old SAR-3 take a proprietary mag known as a Wieger mag, which is a German mag that the Romanians used with the SAR-3 to show a common round and mag with a current NATO member. There are mag followers made that will allow you to us an AK-74 mag that has also had it's feed lips opened up for the longer .223 round. I believe the Bulgarian .223 mag works, but cannot verify by personal use of one.

I have the SAR-3 and it works great with the mags it was designed to use. The WASR-3 is like all other Century WASR imports that comes in with a single stack mag opening, and opened up in the US to accept the NATO mags. How well it is done is a gamble. I personally believe the WASR-3 was born out of the need to replace the ATF banned SAR-3 which was determined to be non-importable due to the ATF sporting purpose clause of the new second amendment.

By the way, the Wieger mag is named for the city of manufacture, Wiesa, Germany.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Number one the only stupid question is the one not asked:)
    on the ak's, might try a import, maddi (yea some of those were assembled by century), or a china mak90, check on gunbroker, gunsamerica, or check the for sale forums here:twocents:

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    thanks for the info guys!

I cant do a mak90............... been there done that and well it was bad :)

will look at these others tho :)

thanks again

jake

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    If you are serious about a .223, either get a Saiga and convert it, or get the Arsenal (k-var.com) .223 AK. You will pay a bit more for the converted one, but you will have one that was converted professionally and Bulgarian .223 AK mags will fit.
    I have a Saiga that I have converted. I have some Tapco Galil mags that fit fine, but some will argue that they are not mil spec mags and will not hold up.
    Check out Dinzagarms.com for some conversion and part info. There is a good section on magazines too.
    I would definitely look at Arsenal AKs or doing your won Saiga conversion before going with a Century .223.
    Also Carolina Shooters Supply has conversion kits about as cheap as you can find. There are videos on their sight that are very helpful. I had the trigger out in about an hour. I had the new parts on/in in about an hour and a half. Very easy once you watch the video.

bman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    I have a saiga 308 that I bought from buds for $470. got some cspec mags($50 each). nice gun, though the mags were kinda salty.

Top Bottom