• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Ok so I have been doing some thought and some research.

I am pretty well set on setting my pack up to accommodate a warbonnet hammock as I prefer setting up shop in wooded areas. Urban is too high-risk for me.

Ok. So on to the question.

From what I've gathered, everyone to backpacks, camps, or trains with hammocks as their shelter, complain about cold weather being detrimental to survival because the space necessary to pack an underquilt negates the purpose of having a hammock to a tent.

My question is:

How does mil-surp cold weather gear fair if donned during the night as opposed to an underquilt? Maybe even bring along a poncho liner as well if heat conduction is a problem. Ive worn my dad's old cold weather woodland camo jacket and trousers when shoveling snow for him every year and I swear, I sweat more than during a workout in the summer. Could this be a viable solution to hammocking in cold weather on the light?

Remember, I don't have a hammock, nor cold weather gear to test this out. It is purely theory so don't flame lol if I'm missing some law of physics.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Ok so I have been doing some thought and some research.

I am pretty well set on setting my pack up to accommodate a warbonnet hammock as I prefer setting up shop in wooded areas. Urban is too high-risk for me.

Ok. So on to the question.

From what I've gathered, everyone to backpacks, camps, or trains with hammocks as their shelter, complain about cold weather being detrimental to survival because the space necessary to pack an underquilt negates the purpose of having a hammock to a tent.

My question is:

How does mil-surp cold weather gear fair if donned during the night as opposed to an underquilt? Maybe even bring along a poncho liner as well if heat conduction is a problem. Ive worn my dad's old cold weather woodland camo jacket and trousers when shoveling snow for him every year and I swear, I sweat more than during a workout in the summer. Could this be a viable solution to hammocking in cold weather on the light?

Remember, I don't have a hammock, nor cold weather gear to test this out. It is purely theory so don't flame lol if I'm missing some law of physics.

To truly stay warm in a hammock in cold weather, you need an underquilt of some sort. The reason being, air is the best insulator. No matter how much cold weather gear you have on, it's going to get compressed between you and the hammock material and cause "cold butt syndrome". Suspending the insulation under the hammock prevents this. There are some super light and super packable underquilts a available, but they are VERY spendy ($300+). I use a Woobie folded in half and suspended with paracord as an underquilt down to about 40*, any colder and I use an old sleeping bag suspended the same way. My plan is to find an extra decent sleeping bag and sew on some channels for shock cord to essentially make a dedicated underquilt.

Last edited:

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    In cold weather hammock sleeping I have used a thermarest Prolite (small) inside the hammock, just as you would on the ground. It also helps give the sling some structure and it packs down really small. It has the added benefit of still being used as a ground pad for times during an outing where on the second or third night, I may not have any trees, like the desert.

Once, when the temps pummeted in the mountains out east, I used a contractor bag filled with leaves stuffed into the bottom of my hammock to make an insulated mattress. I worked great. I have also used a heated rock under my hammock to radiate heat for a few hours.

And lastly, yes I dressed warm, fully clothed except boots. Watch cap a must.

Thrown Hammer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2013
    Northern
    The last time I hammock camped it was 64° and raining. I had a rain fly, but no under quilt. I dressed warm, but the chill was brutal. I would say even moderate cold temps would benefit from some kind of under quilt based on my experience.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Ok. I see.

Thank you for clarifying this.

So then in a 3 day pack focused around a flyed-hammock, how would you all pack your shelter? Thermarest and woobie? Obviously plenty of shock cord.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Ok. I see.

Thank you for clarifying this.

So then in a 3 day pack focused around a flyed-hammock, how would you all pack your shelter? Thermarest and woobie? Obviously plenty of shock cord.

Hennesy Hammock with supershelter and a sleeping pad on the hammock is relatively easy to pack up. My summer hammock is an ENO Double and I use a sil nylon tarp and plain jane bug net to drape over it. Unless it's staying over 75 at night, I will still use a sleeping pad on my hammock.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    As far as bobs go an under quilt, over quilt, and sleeping bag all have the same problem. It is not good to keep them compressed all the time. They loose loft. I bought a Wiggy's for this very reason. It's supposed to be able to be stored compressed. But it's so freaking big I only use it car camping now. I've yet to find a perfect solution for a bob.

Go Devil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Contractor Bag to stuff debris in is genius. I would look for inflatable cushions as well. Anything you could compress and fill later is the way to go.
    I started using a hammock a few years ago after too many years trying to snuggle with the cold hard ground; she is a cruel mistress and I will never go back.
    I can fit my hammock, mosquito net, tarp, stakes, and lines in an old stuff sack that originally held a piece is **** modular shelter system that the DOD thought was a good idea to issue me. Kudos to anyone who can name said piece of ****.
    Any way, small inflatable or stuffable materials are a must.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have slept in a hammock with temps between 0 and 10. I had a -10 rated bag and was wearing milsurp cold polypros, pants, 2 sweatshirts, 2 pairs socks, gloves, toboggan (watch cap for you northerners). I also tossed a handwarmer in the sleeping bag with me. I froze all night long. Next time I will try some type of underquilt/bag of leaves/something.

Hammocks by their design are chilly willy when the temps get to single digits.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I was absolutely amazed at the difference with just a Woobie as an underquilt. I shivered without an underquilt on a 70 degree night wearing a hoodie and covered in a 15* bag. Just the addition of the Woobie, and I stayed toastie warm on a 40* fall night.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Lol. Its crazy. Assym hammocks are superior to most tents in many ways except the insulation factor. You're kept off ground, suspended away from most critters, covered from mosquitos, etc, but staying warm is a highly coveted skill.

Top Bottom