• ...and so much more!
  • mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    No kidding!

I don't see where it allows for the data to be separated out, though.
    For example, if I want to know how many people were killed using a gun in Illinois, I can locate that data. What I don't know about is if anyone compiles data to arrive at that number without Chicago being a part of it, or NY state without NYC. I think that would be very revealing to look at those numbers.

Blessings,
    Bill

I'm curious about what exactly you mean. By that I mean what would you expect it to reveal/prove? I'll try to compile some data on the issue though, it shouldn't be too difficult!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm curious about what exactly you mean. By that I mean what would you expect it to reveal/prove? I'll try to compile some data on the issue though, it shouldn't be too difficult!
    OK, what I mean is, if the FBI reports 10000 murders in January with firearms, that looks pretty bad. If we discover that 9,900 of them occur in large cities with tightly restrictive gun laws, that means that nationwide, there were only 100 murders that occurred in area with so-called "weaker" laws.

You'd think the stats we see would do that, but NY state, IL, and northern CA are not really liberal places, they get overshadowed and overruled when it comes to laws and policies by large, metropolitan areas like NYC, Chicago, and LA/SF, that make the whole state look anti-gun... As this map demonstrates:

Illinois Pro 2A County by County Map

Of 102 total counties, only five went on record against that resolution, one of which is where Springfield, the state capital, is, and only six refused to consider it at all. Unsurprising is that one of the latter is Cook Co., where Chicago is located; they wouldn't even consider the resolution, much less pass it.

What I want to know is how badly the data are screwed up by the presence of these anomalies.

Blessings,
    Bill

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    What I want to know is how badly the data are screwed up by the presence of these anomalies.

Blessings,
    Bill

Surprisingly, I've discovered that gun deaths for major cities aren't the easiest thing to find. Perhaps for the very reason you would like to see the data.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Regarding the "only guns pulled are a deterrent" argument a page or so back: Knowledge of more guns is also deterrent. Does anyone remember that poll they did where they interviewed criminals about gun ownership?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Regarding the "only guns pulled are a deterrent" argument a page or so back: Knowledge of more guns is also deterrent. Does anyone remember that poll they did where they interviewed criminals about gun ownership?
    Sure do. I also remember the lesson of Kennesaw, GA, where a law was passed (without any "teeth" and with lots of loopholes) symbolically requiring every household to be armed and crime dropped precipitously and stayed low for at least 25 years. I haven't checked on it recently, but I have no reason to believe that's changed dramatically. I also remember that in the mid-60s, a FL city (Miami?) had a large rape problem. The local PD had a program where they trained women to use handguns, and again, the rape problem dropped almost overnight.

Deterrence doesn't have to rely on visibility.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom