• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Excel Arms will be adding 4 new firearms in 5.7X28 to it's line up... info om them can be found at Welcome To Excel Arms

excel1.jpg

excel2.jpg

In addition Savage will be adding the cartridge to their lineup using the 25 frame, that is the lightweight varminter frame.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The bottom version is obviously a Cali legal form of the rifle with thumbhole and 9 round mag. I do kind of like the pistol however (the bottom one). With a dot it would be a great hiking gun for places where dangerous predators like bears aren't a problem.

The Savage bolt guns on the 25 frame will be great for reloaders and I admit I am curious to the level of accuracy loaders will be able to wring out of the cartridge.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    With new firearms finally being chambered in the 5.7x28 it will be interesting to see who starts making the round and what the prices will be doing.

Would be nice to have an affordable addition to my PS90 and FNH Five-seveN.

I know that there is currently an AR upper being made, but at nearly $700 for just an upper, yes it is cheaper than a PS90, but not many seem to be picking up on it because you can buy a complete AR15 for the same price.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I think its probably a sign that this cartridge is more popular than I would guess, but I still can't figure out what good it is? Seems to me to be just a bit better than a 22 Magnum (granted with much better bullets) and at a much higher price point.

Oh, and Joe is right on the money with his Hi Point comment about the California compliant variant.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i got the ar57 and love it. probably one of my favorite guns to shoot and it's so easy to fashion a brass catcher out of a old ar mag. a lot of people seem to knock the 5.7 round but its definitely a good round and from what i have seen very effective. i mean even the secret service is rocking the ps90's now :)

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Oh, and Joe is right on the money with his Hi Point comment about the California compliant variant.

My name isn't Joe...

I think the round has a rather large edge on the 22 magnum. Unless you are will to pay for the Remington Accutip ammo you won't come close to the same ballistics. Even then you are looking at a slower load with a bullet that doesn't have as good ballistic co-efficient. The 5.7 is within just a few cents per round of the Remington and can be reloaded.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I think its probably a sign that this cartridge is more popular than I would guess, but I still can't figure out what good it is? Seems to me to be just a bit better than a 22 Magnum (granted with much better bullets) and at a much higher price point.

+1.....never thought much of it.......not enough zap for the price...:twocents:

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think I have seen the 22LR pistol at the range. If I am thinking of the right Pistol it was a POS. I would like to see a review of the 5.7 pistol/rifle. A cheaper option the the FN or AR5.7 would be cool.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I think I have seen the 22LR pistol at the range. If I am thinking of the right Pistol it was a POS. I would like to see a review of the 5.7 pistol/rifle. A cheaper option the the FN or AR5.7 would be cool.

the five seven pistol is a great shooting and IDK where you come up with a pos.....finely made, remarkably accurate(for a semi auto), next to no recoil, and I could see this being used as a light varmint round...we need more ss109 rounds for them though....:D

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I like the AR-22. Looks like a solid rifle, plus they except 10/22 mags, which I already have. I also like the excelirator. Would be nice to have one in a .22MWR. Looked on you tube and they only have 3-4 videos on the .17HMR.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010

It's great to see some more offerings in 5.7 ammo. Not that I don't like the Hornady ammo that is available. It would be nice for some other manufacturers to get into the cartridge and then we can see prices drop a little. Not only that but competition should help push the round even further.

The FN 5.7 is a great pistol for what it's designed for. With 20 and 30 magazines available. You have quite a bit of ammunition at your despoil when needed. It's one of the few pistols that you could effectively use for some type of covering fire.

kalani

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011

the power of the factory sport round is leaves some thing to be desired but it is far from a 22 mag. keep in mind the velocities you see for the 22 mag is for a 16" barrel not a pistol with a 5 inch. Elite Ammunition loadings far out perform even the factory loads. really the 5.7 is closer to the hornet. I know those 5.7 excels are out now any one jumped on them?

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Is that the same round used by the PS90?

If it's the one firing the 5.7mm FN Herstal round then yes.... :P

I don't think there's any other variants of the PS90 (civilian version of the P90). So it's safe to assume that yes, you are thinking of the same round

Also: Who else see's the X-5.7R being an AR (stock, grip, some of the upper) mixed with an AK (mag release, bolt charging handle), that fires the 5.7x28mm round? =P None the less, inginuitive (sp?)! If this is cheaper than a grand I would love to own one in the future. If more than that? Screw it... PDW AR-57 for me through AR57 (well.. impact guns has it for $999.99 last i checked weeks ago)

Top Bottom