• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    I learned on my Grandfathers Remington Model 12 pump 22 that he bought new back in the 20's. It's the same gun my Dad learned to shoot on, and it's going to be the same gun my kids will learn to shoot on.

If I were you, I'd look for a good pump action 22.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I started at 4, with a Rossi 22 pump. I started shooting often by 5. About 8 I had a pellet rifle to shoot with during the week and was generally unsupervised about ten or so, with regards to the pellet rifle and kept it in my room. 15 is when I was allowed to keep my own rifle in my room (although we had access to firearms in case of an emergency since I was probably ten or so).

But,we were raised with guns from the start, so it's hard to say how kids are anymore. A lot of it will depend on whether your children actually believe the things you say. If they doubt your words, then they are more likely to try things out for themselves.

For us, privileges could be taken away for poor responsibility. I had my pocket knife taken away for several months when I was 8 for letting it rust. (had it at school and was cutting on twigs and such without oiling it later... but of course, that's when schools hadn't lost their minds either). The same could apply to bb guns and the like at an earlier age. Poor handling, failure to observe safety practices, etc.

MarkR

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I'm another fan of the Ruger 10/22. I bought my son one for his 13th birthday. He's been shooting mine for a couple of years, along with other guns, but now he has one of his own and loves it!
    Nothing wrong with the Marlin either. I also like the Lever Actions, and I have a Henry .22.
    Can't go wrong with any of them, the great thing is that you're getting them started!

koenig clone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    fairmount
    i have two boys who both learned to shoot at a young age. a 22 is great. The best lesson they can be taught is that they are not toys. The first time out with each of them we took watermelons and pumpkins, whatever fruit is in season, and we shot it. The damage a bullet does to a piece of fruit sits in their little brains alot more than a hole in a piece of paper. They instantly knew the damage they could cause and I never had any trouble with either of them using a safety of being safe with a gun after that. ( I also shot a pumpkin with my 45. that really drove home the point to them!)

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    my daughter is 4.5 years and i just started her on a pellet gun. the lack of recoil and noise plus the lighter weight (not to mention, it's not an actual firearm) were deciding factors on what to start her on. she loves to shoot it and gets really excited when she makes a good shot. as for starting her on a real gun, she gets to do that when she can hold the 10/22 steady on her own. if i have to help support it, she's not ready. she's very excited about my guns and loves to hold them when ever she can. but she also knows that she MUST ask mommy or daddy for permission and one of us MUST be with her at all times. she definately knows they are not toys. yes they are locked up in a safe and she doesn't know how to get into it but getting her into the practice of always asking first is key to having a child learn firearm safety. and no, i have never told her no any time she has asked.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    My first was a Marlin 15Y single shot bolt action .22. Perfect first gun. Single shot so I made every shot count. I kinda worry about kids with semi-autos. The mag aspect can make it a little more complicated, plus I always worry accidental shots going off since the gun goes off every time they pull the trigger. Bolt action so it felt like a real gun. I just outgrew it really quick. Still have and I will give it to my son when he is old enough.

I went .22 to .410 to 20 gauge, by then I was ready for anything.

My first handgun was a Ruger MKII. Once I got the handle of that I graduated to a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 that I shot .38's out of until I was ready for the mags.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I started with a Daisy BB gun, then a 177 pellet gun, 22 single shot, single shot 20 gauge, then moved up as I got older.

Kinda did the same with my kids.... if you want to skip the air rifles, those .22 crickets or a 10/22 would be perfect.

PunchPunch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    I started all three of my boys on a Savage single shot 22 youth model. Right size and helped teach them to aim each shot and not just blast away. I think I paid 60 bucks at a gun show for it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I learned on a Remington .22 lr bolt gun.

I would recommend a bolt gun because it helps teach them how to go slow and take their time on each shot.

But if you're dead set on a semi-auto, I would say the Ruger 10/22 is way ahead of the Marlin Model 60. The 10/22 will last your lifetime and the lifetime of your children. The same can't be said about the Marlin, it is a gun that will wear out and require lots of maintenance and parts the longer it lives. I've seen LOTS of .22 rounds go down range, and its always the Marlin (and some of the Remington autos) that are having troubles. The 10/22 has the occasional jam just like any .22, but by far it beats the others. But thats just my :twocents:

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    I started on a Steven's 12ga double barrel shotgun at the age of 10...probably not the best choice.

I concur with all the recommendations about .22 for rifles, especially agree with starting on bolt actions to learn shooting and marksmanship first.

rlynch25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    South East Indy
    I started both of my sons on a Marlin Mdl 60. This was done when they were 7-8 years old. Each child is different so "when" is subject to their personality and character. They were both hunting with 20 gauge by age 12.

WoodWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    started my boys out at about 6 with BB guns, at about 10 they want to .22s,
    boy do I have stories of those years.
    Now I'M starting out my grandkids with BB's at about 6, go figure.

Top Bottom