• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Acquired this 1892 in 38-40 a few years back needing some help. The mag tube was crushed and the front of the barrel was badly beat up, finish about non- existent. Bought a replacement mag tube and Havlin's refinished the rifle, getting rid of all the damage to the end without removing any markings, excellent job. I added a Marbles tang sight and this period scabbard, the rifle being manufactured in 1909.

The 38-40 WCF is an uncommon caliber, but has no vices in this rifle, I load Lee 175grain TCTL bullets on top of 8 gains of Unique. Crimping on the last ring of the TL ridges the overall cartridge chambers with just slight resistance as it goes into battery. Accuracy is quite good with this combination and recoil very low, at woods ranges I can hit anything I can see. I'll have to paper it from a rest someday, but it's very comfortable off hand.

Colt chambered a number of their revolvers of the same era in 38-40 which made a good companion to this rifle, power level is between a 40S&W and 10mm with common loads. The mold I use is marketed by Lee for those two pistol cartridges, but I found it worked quite well here. 3840wn.jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Acquired this 1892 in 38-40 a few years back needing some help. The mag tube was crushed and the front of the barrel was badly beat up, finish about non- existent. Bought a replacement mag tube and Havlin's refinished the rifle, getting rid of all the damage to the end without removing any markings, excellent job. I added a Marbles tang sight and this period scabbard, the rifle being manufactured in 1909.

The 38-40 WCF is an uncommon caliber, but has no vices in this rifle, I load Lee 175grain TCTL bullets on top of 8 gains of Unique. Crimping on the last ring of the TL ridges the overall cartridge chambers with just slight resistance as it goes into battery. Accuracy is quite good with this combination and recoil very low, at woods ranges I can hit anything I can see. I'll have to paper it from a rest someday, but it's very comfortable off hand.

Colt chambered a number of their revolvers of the same era in 38-40 which made a good companion to this rifle, power level is between a 40S&W and 10mm with common loads. The mold I use is marketed by Lee for those two pistol cartridges, but I found it worked quite well here. View attachment 165564

That guy does good work.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Man! I need to get back to the reloading bench. I saw 8 gr of Unique and thought that sounded light. Went out and looked up how much Unique I put in my 9 mm and 45ACP, which both are less than 6 1/2gr. I guess I didn't understand the 38-40 to be more towards a pistol round than a rifle round. My best friend has at least one rifle in that caliber.

Nice looking tool btw.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Man! I need to get back to the reloading bench. I saw 8 gr of Unique and thought that sounded light. Went out and looked up how much Unique I put in my 9 mm and 45ACP, which both are less than 6 1/2gr. I guess I didn't understand the 38-40 to be more towards a pistol round than a rifle round. My best friend has at least one rifle in that caliber.

Nice looking tool btw.
    Thanks! You can definitely get more out of 38-40 with powders like 2400, and there's always BP like Alpo said. Sadly this combination did not work in my Winchester 1873, being just a little too long, but it does work in most of my Colts. You can see the small difference in length in this picture, I ended up with a completely different combination for the win18733840.jpg 1873.

Top Bottom