• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with spending $2000+ on a good 1911...

Alright, so I admit it, I am addicted to Mr. Browning's best. I lie awake at night figuring on how to get more, and as soon as I get one, I am immediately thinking about the next...

I don't have as many as most, but I am coming to realize something...I can't get by on cheap stuff. I need either vintage, or quality. Don't get me wrong, I really don't really want to get into a MIM or casting and forging, or what have you type of argument. I just want to spend my money and time on something with blended lines, inventive (and artistic!) machining, history, and flawless, graceful performance. I can buy a Kia that runs, but I want a Lexus that drives. Shooting is more to me than pull trigger go bang, and droo its don't cut it for me.

Sure, I sound like a snob, but to rach his own, and it is worth it to me.

Thoughts...?

Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    I agree. I had a really nice 1911 made by Kimber. It was so nice I didn't like shooting it even though it was my favorite gun to shoot!?! I ended up trading it away so it could be with someone who would keep it in a safe and just look at it. Someday I'll get another one just to drool over.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I do enjoy my Wilson's - the craftsmanship is superb. I can't afford to buy them at list though, have to wait until I stumble across them at half price. Maybe someday I'll be able to drop coin on a handmade custom 1911 built to my personal preferences, but in the meantime I will continue to enjoy what I've got. On the other hand, with only perhaps a few exceptions, any 1911 is better than no 1911.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

Alright, so I admit it, I am addicted to Mr. Browning's best. I lie awake at night figuring on how to get more, and as soon as I get one, I am immediately thinking about the next...

I don't have as many as most, but I am coming to realize something...I can't get by on cheap stuff. I need either vintage, or quality. Don't get me wrong, I really don't really want to get into a MIM or casting and forging, or what have you type of argument. I just want to spend my money and time on something with blended lines, inventive (and artistic!) machining, history, and flawless, graceful performance. I can buy a Kia that runs, but I want a Lexus that drives. Shooting is more to me than pull trigger go bang, and droo its don't cut it for me.

Thoughts...?
    I'm with you all the way.
    I've tried some "budget" 1911s. Let me rephrase this. I've tried many budget GUNS and didn't take long at all to realize you get what you pay for.
    I carry a quality 1911 and don't keep "budget guns" long at all.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Absolutely, if you have the money and appreciate what sets a high end 1911 apart from the fray.

I don't tend to spend a ton of money on my firearms...I buy the practical stuff for the most part. But then I just bought a $3500 camera. I can appreciate what sets it apart and I actually do use the heck out of my camera gear, so to me, it was justifiable.

It's not being snobbish at all to own refined products. Snobbish would be having overt disdain for those who don't necessarily need or care to spend as you spend.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have to admit I may be a bit of a snob about 1911's myself, but have moved past the RIA's and mil spec Springfield's. Nothing wrong with them but you can't compare them to a quality 1911.
    I almost hate hearing the advice given to some people looking for their first 1911 of "Just by a RIA and save the money"

To me I don't think that will really give someone a full appreciation of what a nice 1911 can feel like.
    I like to buy the best I can afford. If $500.00 was all I could afford than yea it would be a RIA or Mil Spec but If I could afford 1500.00 - 2000.00 then that is what I would spend on one.
    Although....I don't have any Ed Browns or Night Hawks. (can't afford those yet) I really have to wonder how much nicer they are from my $1500.00 .... 1911's.

Someday :)

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    i wish i had the money for the really fancy, super expensive stuff. But i am in love with my remington 1911. Guess, im not a snob, im trying to figure out how to get the cash to buy that trukish 1911 to use as a base for a build up.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That's what keeps me from buying any old 1911 I see. I keep putting off (and saving) for a Dan Wesson that will show itself when the time is right.

I know what I want - it just has to be exactly as I have it in my mind. Rather than spend money on 2-3 mediocre 1911's I just want one and have it for my only 1911.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I'm not made of cash, I definitely didn't mean to imply that, inly that it is worth it to me to set aside the money to invest in what I want. Not invest as in looking for return, but invest in my own good shooting experience. I would also never fail to shoot one of my guns. The nicer it is, the more rounds it gets (except for the oldies).

There are few quality 1911s for less money...a very few, but from my experience, they were more or less designed to be base models for customizations. Check the sites, they all recommend for the same starting pistols.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with deciding to take your collection to the next level. What would make you a snob is that when we meet each other at the range, and I pull out my 500 dollar PT1911, and you proceed to tell me how inferior my gun is. That is what makes someone an intolerable snob.

Good luck on your search for the perfect 1911. It takes most people years to find the one they think is perfection intheir eyes.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I personally rather have a few nice things than, have a bunch of not so nice things. But, that is all depicted on budget.

My mind a tistinos pizza is okay, but a tombstone pizza is better, and then degerono is best.. kinda thing. I won't knock someone of at their house and they make a testinos pizza.. Just its a budget/Priorities thing.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    While I would love to buy a Wilson Combat or a Les Baer, but what really has my mind buzzing is to buy a USGI Colt 1911 that has documented history in WWI or WW II. For me that is what gets me :drool:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    All this 1911 talk. I went home for lunch and packed a range bag, may have to duck out of work for a bit :)

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    While I would love to buy a Wilson Combat or a Les Baer, but what really has my mind buzzing is to buy a USGI Colt 1911 that has documented history in WWI or WW II. For me that is what gets me :drool:

I was pretty specific in my earlier post. Those older guns are definitely worth it.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I especially love the old customs: Shockey, Giles, Dinan, Chow, et al. Those old bullseye masters led the way and are worth every collectible penny!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County

Thoughts...?

Too rich for,my taste and I make something like $75/hr. I'd buy six Ruger P95's, five M&P's, four Springdield XDM's, three Beretta 92's, two Colt 6920's, or one used Ford Focus before I'd buy a two thousand dollar pistol. Or simply put, I'd never buy one, so long as there are great options for much, much less.

You have an expensive hobby, but if you can afford it without hurting your family in any way, then I'm glad that it makes you so happy.

:twocents:

Edit: Sorry for being a douche. I thought the thread was sort of a question. You spend your money however you want. I see now that you were asserting that it is not too much, my bad. I sound like a d***.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There's probably much more of a difference between a $500 1911 pistol and a $1000 model than there is between a $1000 one and a $2000 one.

Also, as with anything, "inexpensive" doesn't necessarily mean "cheap" - and vice-versa.

IF I were a 1911 guy, which I'm not, I'd be happy as a pig in poo with a Dan Wesson VBOB or CBOB.

-J-

Top Bottom