• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    After the ammunition shortage chaos of the last year I am looking to obtain a semi auto rifle in 7.62x39. Right now my choices are narrowed to 3: Ruger Mini 30, Sig 556r and an Ak pattern probably an arsenal or Vepr. I have experience with the Ruger mini 14 having owned one but the other 2 I have no familiarity with. If anyone has any input or experience with these rifle types I would appreciate it. Right now the Mini-30 is what I am leaning towards.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Have you any interest, or experience with the AR15 platform?

I built a 7.62x39 AR15 a couple of years ago. It may not be as accurate as some bolt guns, but it will out shoot my SKS.

I used a Delaware Machinery lower, a Rock River Arms upper, a Model 1 Sales bolt and barrel.
    C-Products makes a good AR15 platform mag for the x39.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin

I built a 7.62x39 AR15 a couple of years ago. It may not be as accurate as some bolt guns, but it will out shoot my SKS.

I used a Delaware Machinery lower, a Rock River Arms upper, a Model 1 Sales bolt and barrel.

One of the guys at work bought an Olympic AR in 7.62 x 39. It's a tack driver. He has even started loading for it and it shoots nice tight groups. I think he picked it up at Bradis.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood

That would be fun to shoot. Now I want to build one.... :facepalm:

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    go with the ak for the availability of cheep reliable mags. I have a sgl 21 I bought off of a member here and it has been 100% reliable and after adding a primary arms reddot very surprisingly accurate

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I own both an SKS and AK-47 in 7.62x39 and find I prefer to shoot the SKS...it was inexpensive to buy and same to feed...not bad accuracy for an all around fun gun.

Roger

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Gotta love the ak. Cheap reliable mags, plenty of aftermarket stuff, and the rifle itself doesn't break the bank. Plus there's something about it that's so "evil" and makes the antis pee themselves.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    After the ammunition shortage chaos of the last year I am looking to obtain a semi auto rifle in 7.62x39. Right now my choices are narrowed to 3: Ruger Mini 30, Sig 556r and an Ak pattern probably an arsenal or Vepr. I have experience with the Ruger mini 14 having owned one but the other 2 I have no familiarity with. If anyone has any input or experience with these rifle types I would appreciate it. Right now the Mini-30 is what I am leaning towards.

So you are wanting to dive in whole hog into a chambering that the production of is about 95% off shore, and for the most part non-reloadable? It would be far wiser to take that $$$ and invest in reloading equipment and supplies and choose a caliber that is commonly produced domesticaly. You will always be at the mercy of the markets unless you make yourself otherwise.

tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    sks or ak rifles specifically designed for this caliber relatively inexpensive and many are very well built for military purposes.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    All three rifles you mentioned would be great shooters, but I would give the AK my vote. Mini's are great, but factory (reliable) mags are uncommon and pricey. The second generation of the Sig 556R's are awesome, but your a little more limited to what mags it will use (US Palm and ((10)) Waffles are a no go) and you'll need to buy optics / sights. The AK is tried and true, as well as in service with soldiers around the globe. Arsenal would be the route I would go, in a Bulgarian SLR. The Izhmash SGL-21's are nice, but are actually AK-74's chambered in 7.62X39 thus making many surplus parts incompatible. VEPR's are built extremely well, but take a lot of work to turn into an evil black rifle since they are imported in a "sporter" configuration. The AR's chambered in 7.62X39 have been attempted by several of the big gun companies(RRA, Colt, etc...), but almost always suffer from reliability issues plus mags are uncommon.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Most Polish AK's are pretty sweet

I've had a Polish AKMS underfolder for about 2 years and have had zero problems with it. Im about 1500 rounds in never had a jam or misfire(also, Tulammo in 7.62x39 is very solid), and I got a nice parkerized finish that still looks almost new. And I've gotten about 6-5 MOA with it with irons, and perhaps better if I did my part

Top Bottom