• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    So, I was on the road all last week on a vacation that started at the NRA convention in Atlanta and was to end at the Spring Talladega race. I was planning on stopping by the CMP South Store, just to see the new store and say "hi" to Mike. I hadn't checked the forum for about a week. Last I had checked the CMP Forum, inventory was slim with the exception of a few pricy collector grade rifles, M1Cs and M1Ds.

I walked into the store(...after a bit of searching for the new location) on Friday morning expecting to leave empty handed or settle for a rack grade M1D. The first thing I saw was about 10 M1 Carbines. I couldn't believe my eyes! Of course, I got right to work picking out a Service Grade NPM Carbine with a nifty SA rebuild cartouche on the stock.

After having Mike "red tag" the Carbine, I went to look over the generous variety of M1s. After the $795 for the carbine, there really wasn't any money left in my budget. There were still a number of nice IHCs and Winchesters.

I already have an IHC and a couple of Winchesters. So, I don't really need another M1(...my girlfriend just laughs when I say that!); but, I do have a spot for a project rifle. I couldn't resist bringing home that $560 HRA rack grade too. For a rack grade rifle, it seems to be a gem.

Dang! Dang! Dang! Since I left the store Friday, I've regretted not testing my credit limit and grabbing one of those IHCs or WRAs(...or both!).

HUGE THANKS TO THE CMP FOR CHRISTMAS IN MAY!!!
    progress.gif

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Ain't you gots no camera?

I haven't properly coon-fingered them, yet myself. Because I was staying at an Alabama State Park and attending races at Talladega Super Speedway, both prohibitive to firearms, I buried the two massive cases deep in my car. Trying to hide those big plastic cases in the back of my Firebird wasn't easy! LOL!!!

Pictures tonight...I promise!!!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I haven't properly coon-fingered them, yet myself. Because I was staying at an Alabama State Park and attending races at Talladega Super Speedway, both prohibitive to firearms, I buried the two massive cases deep in my car. Trying to hide those big plastic cases in the back of my Firebird wasn't easy! LOL!!!

Pictures tonight...I promise!!!

In a Firebird? Man, you could drive Talledega without a helmet. Talk about balls with the CMP jewels in the car.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    If you had a pistol by your side I would almost imagine you guys were a modern day bonnie and clyde!!! :) Great pickups man, jealous!!!

Actually, we had three pistols by our side. My Walther CCP, Kathy's 3913 Lady Smith and a Walther TPH. But, I promise...no banks nor Texas rangers were molested on our cross country rampage.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Here are pictures of the Carbine. It is a Service Grade, National Postal Meter with an Underwood barrel.

0sWW1NI.jpg

I assumed the barrel was a replacement; but, after reading up a bit, I found that NPM didn't make their own barrels and that Underwood indeed made barrels for National Postal Meter..

GozNWl9.jpg

All these old carbines have been rebuilt one or more times over seventy plus years of service. So, nobody really knows whether the barrel is original or not; but, with a receiver that dates to September/October '43 and a barrel that dates to July of '43. I can speculate that it is correct and possible original.

twHw9AZ.jpg

The stock was what initially drew me to this carbine over the others. It had a nicely struck boxed SA / SHM inspector's marking beside and equally nicely struck cross cannon marking. It is my understanding that it is a post war Springfield Armory rebuild and that SA/SHM was Col. Steven H. MacGregor. He was only at SA from Nov. 1945 to August 1947. Again, there is no way to prove the rifle and stock were put together at rebuild time or later; but, it is a bit of a rare stock.

UP2lu3U.jpg

The P-U marking in the sling well indicates the stock was made by Pedersen Bros. Wilton, CT for Underwood. So Again...it is probably not original to the rifle.

GEgHu5Y.jpg

It has the rotary safety, adjustable rear sites and barrel band with bayonet lug which was common with the post war rebuilds. It also appears to have been reparkerized.

weqeEgG.jpg

I haven't had time to take the trigger group out and identify those pieces parts.

I can't tell you how lucky I feel to have picked up my second M1 Carbine, especially considering that the CMP was supposed to be out of Carbines.

qXb8prJ.jpg

No pictures of the HRA Rack Grade yet...I'll follow up with those later in the week!

ETA: The trigger group is Underwood and the slide is Winchester.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Far out Joker. That's a fine looking rifle. I love the look.
    As far as original matching pieces it's not a big deal for those of us that love the war machines. They were kept up and put into service when needed. Fine rifles in the history of our world.
    I can't wait to see the other rifle.
    You did good

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Darn, great picks, sounds like you had a wonderful time. Sure wish I could pick up one of the M1 carbines, my one looks lonesome, but it does have a couple of Garands to keep it company! Love the WW2 firearms. Hate to purchase another firearm right now, just bought the ArmaLite AR 50A1B and accessories/ammo, kinda spent what I consider my allotment for a while...

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I got around to taking pictures of the Rack Grade HRA M1 Garand that I picked up at the CMP South Store a couple of weeks ago. I have been looking for a well used rifle to send to Mr. Tim Shuff for a Mini-G build. I think this rifle will be a great candidate and at $560, the price was right!

She is well used; but, I think she has lots of character.

HRnLGGN.jpg

iSbdmp1.jpg

Despite at least one rebuild, it retains it's original HRA barrel dated 4-55.

AIDx06X.jpg

Although the barrel and receiver are HRA, many parts including the bolt, op rod and trigger group are Springfield Armory.

fw9rWl6.jpg

It has an interesting combination of late gas lock and early gas screw.

QVOaoyh.jpg

The stock is USGI with DOD acceptance stamp and test firing proof mark. The stock is pretty beat up; but, it is serviceable.

aCGUAc1.jpg

lsA0MeO.jpg

Hopefully...by the end of the year, when Tim Shuff gets done with it, it will look like this...

mini-g-2.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Congrats on picking up a couple beauts... I had heard the south store was getting good stuff while the north store keeps getting starved. Looks to be true.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Congrats on picking up a couple beauts... I had heard the south store was getting good stuff while the north store keeps getting starved. Looks to be true.

Actually, I went to the North Store in March. The racks were full of various collector grades, 6 million SAs, WRA M1Ds, M1903A3s and Field Grade Specials. Of course, those are cleaned out by now. But, rumor has it the North Store will be restocked in time for the CMP National Matches at Camp Perry.

tribeofham

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Fishers
    Very nice find! I live in Indiana so a trip to the south store would be a 14 hr drive. I've been to the north store twice but I wasn't overly impressed with their selection. They mostly had rack grades Garands and a few M1D's. I did manage to find a '42 WRA Special, which I bought without much hesitation! It's a great shooter.

Did you buy the ammo there as well? They don't sell surplus .30 carbine ammo on their website.

Top Bottom