• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I've been backed up enough DG hunting parties that I can attest that that isn't limited to bears. The number of guys I've said "remember to take a knee" to, in arrears of someone else putting the kill shot into their buffalo or lion, is more than I can count on both hands.

Posting internet pictures of the one good group you once shot is far easier than actual practical shooting.

tocaman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    MT->MI->IN->SC
    172-151 (dead bears/human injuries) So we're winning. No mention of the fatality rate of humans, which leads me to believe they used selective data. I detected a slight bear-hugger slant in the article, with the pepper spray quote "And no bears died" as well as the whole killing a bear is a PITA with the skinning and paperwork and reporting...

Funny thing that handgun/long gun success rate was pretty even, but I suspect the handgun was along for the ride as a bear deterrent, and not necessarily the only weapon available.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    In about one-fifth of the encounters he examined for the most recent study, the gun was not fired for various reasons. In some cases, the person couldn't deploy the weapon quickly enough, it jammed, or the person opted not to shoot. Whatever the reason, not shooting the bear saves paperwork and effort since Alaska law requires those who kill grizzlies to skin the animal and file a report with state wildlife officials.
    So you need a gun and a knife (and a pen). Got it.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Wasn't the last guy to say something to this effect Timothy Treadwell?

By the way, I saw this study was done by BYU. What are the statistics when you have a gun and Mormons ambush you with a message of redemption?

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Yeah, and lawnmowers are worthless because you can cut the grass just as short with some scissors.

XDdreams

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It's such a total man dream to fight a bear with nothing more than a large knife. But while in that actual situation I would probably feel much differently.

Top Bottom