A guy from Ohio calls about my post on INGO?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I was always told Ohio is not a place to take a gun under any circumstances. That's my :twocents:

I hate to say it, but you've always been told wrong.

I take my firearms to my mother-in-law's property all the time. She lives near Defiance, OH.

The trick is to do it LAWFULLY.

And don't do anything with your vehicle that would cause closer scrutiny.

-J-

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    The GCA was enacted for the purpose of keeping firearms out of the hands of those not legally entitled to possess them because of age, criminal background, or incompetence. The GCA was also designed to make State firearms laws more effective by channeling interstate commerce in firearms through federally licensed businesses and generally confining firearms transactions by nonlicensees to their States of residence.(From ATF's website)

The GCA makes it unlawful to engage in a firearms business without a license. 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(1), 923(a). Federal firearms licensees are generally prohibited from transferring firearms to persons who do not reside in the State where the licensee's premises are located. 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3). Nonlicensees are generally prohibited from acquiring firearms outside their State of residence or transferring firearms to nonlicensees who reside out-of-State. 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5). (ATF's postion)

Last edited:

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    The GCA was enacted for the purpose of keeping firearms out of the hands of those not legally entitled to possess them because of age, criminal background, or incompetence. The GCA was also designed to make State firearms laws more effective by channeling interstate commerce in firearms through federally licensed businesses and generally confining firearms transactions by nonlicensees to their States of residence.(From ATF's website)

The GCA makes it unlawful to engage in a firearms business without a license. 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(1), 923(a). Federal firearms licensees are generally prohibited from transferring firearms to persons who do not reside in the State where the licensee's premises are located. 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3). Nonlicensees are generally prohibited from acquiring firearms outside their State of residence or transferring firearms to nonlicensees who reside out-of-State. 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5). (ATF's postion)

Both of these are true. However, the GCA only requires that transfer between resident's of different states go through an FFL in the transferee's state of residence. The actual text of the GCA is silent on how the gun actually get's to the FFL doing the transfer.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=browse_usc&docid=Cite:+18USC922

The firearms FAQ on the BATFE web site does say the firearm has to be shipped to the FFL for an out of state transfer, but that statement does not have any legal basis (see item B16 and note that the statement in question does not actually cite the GCA, unlike item B3, which does)

I have personal experience with this. My father (lives in PA) transferred three guns to me several years ago by driving them out to IN and then doing the transfer at a dealer. He had his attorney review the idea beforehand and his attorney saw no issues...and neither did the dealer.

Last edited:

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    As everyone has said do it thru a ffl. Now onto the Columbus issue. Columbus, OH has a requirement to go thru a speacial process to buy a gun and I believe ammo. look up NRA cancels convention in Columbus, OH.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    As everyone has said do it thru a ffl. Now onto the Columbus issue. Columbus, OH has a requirement to go thru a speacial process to buy a gun and I believe ammo. look up NRA cancels convention in Columbus, OH.

Not true - my father lives there and has no problem buying guns.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Last edited:

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Does he live in the city limits of Columbus, OH? I have been there several times and there was even signs up to this affect at the Gander Mountain inside the city limits. Well maybe I am mistaken but I thought you needed to go and get a weapons transaction permit to buy it. Now in my book that is a extra step that we sure don't have to do here and heither do those who buy guns outside of the city limits of columbus.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Does he live in the city limits of Columbus, OH? I have been there several times and there was even signs up to this affect at the Gander Mountain inside the city limits. Well maybe I am mistaken but I thought you needed to go and get a weapons transaction permit to buy it. Now in my book that is a extra step that we sure don't have to do here and heither do those who buy guns outside of the city limits of columbus.

That could be the case. I'll have to ask him sometime...

Top Bottom