• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    That was interesting. tuoder you are up kinda late, finding some gems to post? Good Luck, I got to hit the sack.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I noticed is that the bullets while traveling fast enough to penetrate (most of the time) were not traveling fast enough to expand/deform in the ballistics gel. I have to wonder if a bullet was traveling fast enough to expand if that would then also cause it to slow down enough to be captured? Or is that sample of ballistics gel simply too small given that most gel penetration tests I've seen show modern handgun bullets expanding AND traveling roughly 12" into the gel.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Yeah it's not clear exactly how big that piece of gelatin is. It looks like maybe 8 inches? Pushing a metal projectile through 8 inches of tissue may not be "reliably lethal" but it certainly would be "often lethal."

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    I noticed is that the bullets while traveling fast enough to penetrate (most of the time) were not traveling fast enough to expand/deform in the ballistics gel. I have to wonder if a bullet was traveling fast enough to expand if that would then also cause it to slow down enough to be captured? Or is that sample of ballistics gel simply too small given that most gel penetration tests I've seen show modern handgun bullets expanding AND traveling roughly 12" into the gel.

After a bit more research I was able to determine that many slingshots are advertised in the 200+ fps range. I don't think they'd be gping fast enough to expand, as the number I've always heard for expansion was 1000+ fps. That being said, the size of slingshot projectiles can be pretty large. with normal ones coming in at .375". Some slingshots are also advertised at 80-120 joules. So, in terms of energy, that puts them safely into the league of a .22 short in a rifle,. .22lr in a pistol, or pellet gun territory but with a much wider projectile. I'm thinking a slingshot could be quite lethal at short range, but this is all envelope math and speculation. Really, I'd have to do some experiments and math to state with any certainty.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    With the right slingshot and projectile, could slingshots be reliably lethal?

Against small game they are for sure.
    Hit someone through the eye into the brain case and yeah easy.

I would be worried about serious bodily harm in the least if someone had one drawn on me.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yeah it's not clear exactly how big that piece of gelatin is. It looks like maybe 8 inches? Pushing a metal projectile through 8 inches of tissue may not be "reliably lethal" but it certainly would be "often lethal."

It is difficult to tell, but the top of the block looks about the same width as his hand when he pats the top of it in the video. So, I'd put the top width of the block closer to around 4". I'd guess middle of the block to be about 6". Tough to say. Surprising he left that information out after having gone to all that trouble.

Did y'all notice how highly variable the penetration was? Some zipped through. Some went about half way in. Some bounced off! Could be his different slinshots. Could also be the lack of control over the orientation at which the bullet strikes the block; some strike head on, others sideways (the bouncer looked sideways).

Neat video.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Anyone know if ballistics gel has different characteristics based on the speed of the projectile?

Further explanation: Penetration amounts are only reliable if said projectile is going 800fps or higher.

Ever mix corn starch and water together? That soupy goupy gel that results is a fascinating substance. If you slowly push your finger into it, it'll sink right in. But if you "stab" at it with some speed...the stuff will resist your finger. You can fill a trough with the right mixture and you'd be able to run across it without sinking. But if you stood on it, you'd sink.

Also: In that video with the sling shots (which I can't view at work), does it say anything about it being "calibrated ballistics gel"?? Just wondering.

-J-

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    FYI Most .45acp loads don't even break 900fps at the muzzle... Many factors affect expansion. I don't know the exact FPS but I'd *guess* it's closer to 500fps.

Interesting. I was also looking at large and slow projectiles of other sorts and found that the .44 special can be 600-800fps depending on loading. I think some home testing might be interesting.

Anyone know if ballistics gel has different characteristics based on the speed of the projectile?

Further explanation: Penetration amounts are only reliable if said projectile is going 800fps or higher.

Ever mix corn starch and water together? That soupy goupy gel that results is a fascinating substance. If you slowly push your finger into it, it'll sink right in. But if you "stab" at it with some speed...the stuff will resist your finger. You can fill a trough with the right mixture and you'd be able to run across it without sinking. But if you stood on it, you'd sink.

Also: In that video with the sling shots (which I can't view at work), does it say anything about it being "calibrated ballistics gel"?? Just wondering.

-J-

What you're referring to is a non-newtonian fluid. You could actually walk on a pool of it, but not stand on it. Here is a video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2XQ97XHjVw]YouTube - A pool filled with non-newtonian fluid[/ame]

You do raise a good question on the matter of the calibration of the ballistics gelatin, however. I also wonder how clothing would react to a slower, but heavier projectile than a bullet. At what point does a projectile leave a bruise instead of penetrating?

Top Bottom