• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Well I am not sure what stainless media is... I use just good ol' walnut media that you can get in bulk at either a pet supply store (for Lizard bedding) or Harbor Freight. Corn cob media for the final step.

The tumbler is a Lortone QT12 which is a 12 lbs. unit and is the biggest they make. They are not cheap new ( kind of a pro-am model) before making the final step to a professional tumbler. You can find them on eBay for an acceptable price. The nice thing about Lortone is you can buy all the parts for them (minus the frame) to them going for a long time!

They're quiet because they're belt/pulley driven instead of gear driven. The tub is made of a solid rubber with a lid that seal tight so it contains the noise of the media and brass very well. My wife never says a word about when I use it (in the basement), and I forget about it if I don't set a reminder on my phone. When I use the vibratory cleaner... you can't forget unless you can't hear. :)

This should explain the stainless media.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tainless_steel_polishing_media_for_brass.html

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I bought a package of address label stickers, great for a quick powder ID in the drop tube, writing down min-max ranges or OAL info and having handy, labling plastic bullet cases, ext.

I also have about 15 ziplock plastic food containers w/lids, great for partial completed steps in progress or having a before step & after step pile.

A little case lube on the threads of the plastic bullet remover hammer.... makes it thread sooo easy.

Measure twice press once!

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Something I wish I had known / thought about for using a single stage is having an extra shell holder for my hand priming tool. This way I don't have to take the hand priming tool apart two times ever time I reload.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Some reloading manuals list maximum pressure in PSI and others in CUP. The units are not the same except sometimes they are the same but when they are not the same sometimes one is more than the other except in rare instances when it is actually less.

(I.E. reloading data is tricky)

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    Even if you're running carbide pistol dies, use lube. I've had the carbide ring pull out once when I didn't lube my brass. I use one shot for pistol and a pad/lube for necked rifle brass. Don't forget something on the inside of the neck. That makes it a bunch smoother when you pull the press's arm back up.

Like Andrew said, get a case gage for every caliber you load...AND USE IT!!!

Get a good set of calipers. Use them to make sure the load is not too long, AR's are very unforgiving about long cartridges. That magazine won't take them if they are too long and bolt actions get kinda cranky if you load the bullet for an interference fit to the lands.

It really doesn't matter which type of scale you use as long as you're comfortable with it and: 1)it sits on a VERY steady base, and NOT your loading bench. 2)Keep wind off it. Don't even BREATHE on the thing. 3) Keep a set of check weights, use them and don't forget to set the tare for your powder pan. 4) Did I mention you use the thing? (BTW, aspirin tablets weigh a ****load more than any 5gr. You old timers will recognize that!!!)

Don't skimp on equipment, you'll only get upset and throw it against the wall. Not only does that void any warranty, but then you've gotta fix the wall.

Buy a stuck case remover kit. You WILL need it sooner or later.

Make sure your loading area is brightly lit. It helps to be able to see into a case to make sure there is powder in the case. Nothing ruins a good run on a stage like a squib!!!

Ok, go on, ask me how I know the above. Because I've pulled every stupid stunt reloading that you possibly can... And some you've probably never even thought of either!!!

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I know I saw it here on INGO somewhere but the 3 cups water to 1 cup works toilet bowl cleaner really cleans your brass nice. I just tried it on about 400 cases of .40 and holy moly that stuff works good. About 5 minutes soak time and rinse it with hot water real good, then air dry or into the dryer(I have a shoe dryer that lets the brass stay stationary)

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I know I saw it here on INGO somewhere but the 3 cups water to 1 cup works toilet bowl cleaner really cleans your brass nice. I just tried it on about 400 cases of .40 and holy moly that stuff works good. About 5 minutes soak time and rinse it with hot water real good, then air dry or into the dryer(I have a shoe dryer that lets the brass stay stationary)

I take it that you can only do this for empty brass... not loaded rounds?

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Just ran across another tip. Make sure what die you have in the press on a single stage. I didn't change from the sizer to seating die, I felt the difference right away so I didn't mess anything up. If something feels wrong it most likely is. Check and check again, it two seconds as opposed to the ??? outcome.

Top Bottom