• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Well, after talking to 3 other hay producers yesterday my latest heads up is for, hay.

Got first cutting put by, and with the current el-nino upon us we all thought we should not sell any hay yet. If this weather pattern holds, we may not get much if any second cutting. So we will need what we have for our own use.

3 different guys small, medium, and large cattle producers. Seems like all have a poor production (volume) first cutting.

To that end, I’m advising hold what you got, buy it now if you have a few animals for yourself.

I could be mistaken but it seems prudent to prepare on the side of caution. Just my take on things. And of course I’m talking about the NW quad of Indiana. Could turn out to be much wider than that but only time will tell.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Well, after talking to 3 other hay producers yesterday my latest heads up is for, hay.

Got first cutting put by, and with the current el-nino upon us we all thought we should not sell any hay yet. If this weather pattern holds, we may not get much if any second cutting. So we will need what we have for our own use.

3 different guys small, medium, and large cattle producers. Seems like all have a poor production (volume) first cutting.

To that end, I’m advising hold what you got, buy it now if you have a few animals for yourself.

I could be mistaken but it seems prudent to prepare on the side of caution. Just my take on things. And of course I’m talking about the NW quad of Indiana. Could turn out to be much wider than that but only time will tell.
    We had a really good yield down here, but your right you do not want to be with out in crunch time.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Son had great production on 1st cutting, but 2nd could turn out to be nothing with rain.
    Supposed to get some tomorrow, 2” would just be a good start. Need it to keep coming.

Reactions: Mij

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm more than a little jealous reading through this. Our garden has never produced enough to need to be concerned about canning. We're just not that good at it, or spend the time on it. We're planning to tear out our eye sore next spring with a tractor and return it to a yard.

Do any of you buy food at a farmers market and can that, or at that point am I just better off buying canned veggies?

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    the idea is Self-Sufficient -- what are you gonna do when ALL the cans & jars are gone 1 year after TEOTWAWKI
    Well, presumably you have emptied some of your jars. They are reusable, we have jars that were used by my folks and grandparents. We haven’t bought jars for decades.

Real preparation is not just for 365 days. And canning for self sufficiency is a lifestyle.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Reality is you'll need some "thing" or service, outside of your capabilities within 365. Maybe it's a dentist, maybe it's medicine, maybe it's food because all your jars fell off the shelf during an earthquake. Regardless, there's always going to be something, but if a SHTF situation happens and goes beyond 365 days all bets are off and I'd be willing to bet we'd have half our current population.

Your health, and skills are the best investments you can make.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Commercially canned veggies will be cheaper than home canning veggies bought at farmers market. There are lots of reasons to can at home but prices aren't usually one of them. (unless you grow your own veggies)
    Canning your own home grown definitely has its benefits ( even if it cost more ) I know what is in the meat and veggies that we grow .

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    the idea is Self-Sufficient -- what are you gonna do when ALL the cans & jars are gone 1 year after TEOTWAWKI
    That realistically is not going to happen for most folks or more than a handful of people. As a practical matter the manpower needed for a small family to truly be self sufficient is typically defined as a tribe and I believe they need to work and defend four acres per person.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Do any of you buy food at a farmers market and can that, or at that point am I just better off buying canned veggies?

Talk w the farmers about seconds. Tell them what you want them for. Often you can buy bulk seconds during season for less.

There are also auctions you can go to.

Keep at the garden. SHTF and you can change things to help it. Keep practicing. Lots of benefits mentally to gardening. I wish I had more time to spend in mine

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    We went through a hard time finding lids after the Chinese flu devastated the supply chain. One of things my wife had been doing was using caution when removing sealed lids as you can reuse them if they aren't bent. We can about 80-90% of our food, eat a lot of beans (I am on a vegan diet) and greens. Biggest food expenditure in the winter months is on lettuce and fruit.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Reality is you'll need some "thing" or service, outside of your capabilities within 365. Maybe it's a dentist, maybe it's medicine, maybe it's food because all your jars fell off the shelf during an earthquake. Regardless, there's always going to be something, but if a SHTF situation happens and goes beyond 365 days all bets are off and I'd be willing to bet we'd have half our current population.

Your health, and skills are the best investments you can make.
    So the timing of my post on this couldn't have been more perfect for me. Last night my daughter got a cut on her leg. It was more than a scratch and less than requires stitches, which is where the butterfly bandages come into play. I dumped a big tote of all kinds of medical stuff on my ping pong table last night covering half of it spread out and sure enough, I didn't have any and had to run to the store.

Several lessons here:
    1.) Have butterfly bandages
    2.) Have everything organized in such a way that when looking with urgency it's easy to find.
    3.) I need to inventory all my medical and get it squared away.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    So the timing of my post on this couldn't have been more perfect for me. Last night my daughter got a cut on her leg. It was more than a scratch and less than requires stitches, which is where the butterfly bandages come into play. I dumped a big tote of all kinds of medical stuff on my ping pong table last night covering half of it spread out and sure enough, I didn't have any and had to run to the store.

Several lessons here:
    1.) Have butterfly bandages
    2.) Have everything organized in such a way that when looking with urgency it's easy to find.
    3.) I need to inventory all my medical and get it squared away.

Yes and yes. Also, yes

Med kits in both vehicles, one on the rig, one in camping gear, one in hunting gear, one at work, you get the gist.

All kits incl. TQ, shears, compression bandage, gauze, disinfectant, more gauze, chem lights, gloves, and a Ziploc with band-aids/ointment/aspirin/etc

The vehicles have slightly larger bags, which just got more gauze and bandages. (Boo-boo stuff for kids).

IMG_20230801_085037801.jpg

IMG_20230801_085052956.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I agree, I've got medical kits in both vehicles, at work, at home bigger kit for family car camping, and then long term storage. Yesterday I found a crack in the foundation of my preps. In hindsight it seems so obvious, but still a big fat fail.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    We went through a hard time finding lids after the Chinese flu devastated the supply chain. One of things my wife had been doing was using caution when removing sealed lids as you can reuse them if they aren't bent. We can about 80-90% of our food, eat a lot of beans (I am on a vegan diet) and greens. Biggest food expenditure in the winter months is on lettuce and fruit.
    Buy Superb lids. Old style. Made in Ohio.

Buy a lid remover by Jamie Wright. I can get you his info. Hands down best $10 you will ever spend

Attachments

• IMG_4477.jpeg
      IMG_4477.jpeg
      169.9 KB · Views: 7

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I agree, I've got medical kits in both vehicles, at work, at home bigger kit for family car camping, and then long term storage. Yesterday I found a crack in the foundation of my preps. In hindsight it seems so obvious, but still a big fat fail.

Hate it when that happens. I'm sure I have holes in my web as well. Comparing load outs to field-tested folks is a great learning tool. (My field XP is limited)

I know there is always something to rethink or add/change for me. Constantly reworking the plan in my head.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Back to regular scheduled program ...

I buy bulk lids/rings online every couple of years. I typically reuse rings, but not lids. Old habit/wives' tale.

Removing the rings is a must to prevent rust. Minding the jars is a bit harder. Usually figure it out inside the canner. Had 2 jars of peaches blow out the bottom this year.

Speaking of healthy stock, don't neglect other perishable parts of the operation. I have 2 extra gaskets for the pressure canner. And a ton of pectin and other necessary ingredients that hold well over time.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom