• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Few things upset me as much as hearing people say, “Guns kill people.” They might as well step out into a crowd with a megaphone and announce, “Hello. I’m ignorant.”

This guy gets it.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Pretty good article, but I'm rather disappointed in a person who wants to educate children using a set of rules that include:
    Fear guns. Explain the real dangers to your children that guns pose. A strong fear should be put into them (especially young children) regarding guns.

He obviously doesn't know about the Eddie Eagle program and their four rules. He also never mentions Col. Cooper and his four rules for adults. Too bad. He has some good points, but also shows a lack of knowledge about a topic he professes.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This is good to have articles of this nature in places where you might not normally find a sizable gun owning group. Changing minds to the right side of this issue is great.

Bigphil5000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    Columbus
    Pretty good article, but I'm rather disappointed in a person who wants to educate children using a set of rules that include:

He obviously doesn't know about the Eddie Eagle program and their four rules. He also never mentions Col. Cooper and his four rules for adults. Too bad. He has some good points, but also shows a lack of knowledge about a topic he professes.

Maybe we should replace "Fear" with "Respect". As I am about to be a father I will look into both the Eddie Eagle and Col. Cooper rules. Education is Key. Thanks

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

Bigphil5000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    Columbus
    Eddie Eagle:

If you see a gun:
    STOP!
    Don't Touch.
    Leave the Area.
    Tell an Adult.

Col. Cooper:

RULE 1
    ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
    The only exception to this occurs when one has a weapon in his hands and he has personally unloaded it for checking. As soon as he puts it down, Rule 1 applies again.
    [h=3]RULE 2
    NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY[/h]You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.
    [h=3]RULE 3
    KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER TIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET[/h]This we call the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.
    [h=3]RULE 4
    BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET[/h]You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.

These are Great !

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood

Good point.

Butternut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    SouthWestern Louisiana
    I'm kinda surprised they ran an article like that. My kids grew up with hunting and shooting so we mitigated the whole curiosity issue. But we do have friends that arent gun ppl that want to start teaching their boy (now 13) firearm basics and are having to overcome alot of hollywood ideas that prevent him from gaining that necessary respect.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Firearms should be to children as vacuum cleaners as to children (apologies to Mel Tappan).

The "safety in ignorance" theory must be cast aside.

I advocate for returning firearms education to public schools and to make firearms handling necessary for driving and graduation.

Fire Lord

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    Like it's already been said, decent article. I have spent years instilling a respect of firearms, and their inherent danger, to my son. I started with this is real, it can hurt people. Your toy is fake, but it never hurts to play like it's real. That is the problem with today's society. Nobody wants to take the time to actually teach their kids stuff. They act like the gubment will make laws to save them from their own stupidity. Ah well. I'm trying.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Agree 100%... call it a part of the health curriculum if you must, but it should be required learnin'

Common sense isn't taught in schools, unfortunately. What's needed is a "Life Skills" course or two that covers keeping a balanced budget, using credit wisely, as well as gun safety and other things every American should know in order to be a responsible adult. Since the schools don't teach any of this, it's up to us parents to do so.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I advocate for returning firearms education to public schools and to make firearms handling necessary for driving and graduation.

They could put it in there right next to..

"Make sure you have a Safe Word when letting your boyfriend choke your way to the Big "O" and "BDSM knot tying...What you need to know to avoid rope burns.."

I think we can get the NEA behind it if we throw in sex ed.....:dunno:

Top Bottom