• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    *(to Admin) Sorry if thread is posted in wrong area. Please move or advise and I will change if necessary.

I'm 57 and have not yet bagged a turkey or deer. Now that my kids are gone I can follow up on my interests which is getting back to the woods. As a child I hunted frogs and cans with my "Red Rider" and later in high school squirrels and rabbits with my uncles "Remington Nylon". Now I have my own firearms and want to take up the sport up again. Not as easy as it used to be when I was a kid. A few years ago I got an opportunity to go out twice on a turkey hunt but fox was only thing within shooting range and was not on menu. A couple seasons ago I spent 3 days at a co-workers cabin in the UP of Michigan. Sat in blind pre-dawn to dusk and never spotted anything with fur and four legs. Fortunately my friend got his two. I loved it though, I was never as much alert as sitting alone in deer blind watching, listening, glassing, and hoping for that one brief moment for opportunity at getting a deer. (Only a hunter can appreciate the excitement one can get from anticipation and solitude). Problem is I need help, I am seeking hunting opportunities; either as part of a group with opening to add another hunter, perhaps a landowner who's land I can lease, rent, barter for hunting. I live in NW Indiana (Valparaiso) but will drive and make accommodations as necessary to spend a day or few days to hunt. I have or will procure everything necessary to go solo. I should add my certificate in field stripping is from You Tube U. I consider actually performing the task an initiation to having right of calling myself a "Hunter". If anyone has or knows of an opportunity I can follow up on I would appreciate your lead. I will provide any info needed to judge my character or worthiness to fit in to your group.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    First of all - WELCOME BACK! Once a hunter, always a hunter.

I haven't hunted public ground or private ground in Indiana since 2011. What I did find out was gun season for deer is not fun on public ground. The orange clad army is a little far from "getting away" to me. I prefer archery and bow seasons. Public ground is still good in most places for archery. If you visit your local DNR office they are extremely helpful with maps, directions and advice.

I live in southern Indiana and hunt for deer and turkey on NSWC Crane property. It's too late this year, but you can put in for those special hunts on state and federal property. If you put in for a hunt at Crane next year and are drawn I can help you out with a spot to try.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    NW Indiana.............Winamac or JP. Nice places both. Public land.
    Tough gig in gun season.

There are ways to happily hunt public grounds. It'll never be as easy as private property, but you hunt what you got.
    - Don't go opening weekend.
    - Take a couple days off middle of following week.
    - Hunt middle of the day.
    - Plan on a beautiful walk in the woods with a rifle as opposed to "must kill a deer."
    - Hunt the bonus seasons when things have calmed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I'll be hoping to enter into the sport next year myself with very similar problems to yours. Trouble is I don't have any experience either. I don't have land or friends with land so that makes it doubly difficult... Truth be told, all I really want to do for a while is just be with someone to learn the process; I don't even have to get a deer of my own.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Hunting Fish and Wildlife public land is a lot different than hunting Hoosier national. A lot of fish and wildlife areas have a draw hunt for the 1st weekend to cut down on the number of hunters.
    I have harvested many deer hunting fish and wildlife areas over the years.
    I have hunted with success, Winamac, Jasper/ Pulaski, Willow Slough and Fairbanks
    much time during archery and after the 1st weekend of firearms we hunt and never run into another hunter in the field.

A lot of these "horror stories" I have to believe are just urban legend

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Nov 16, 2013
    Greenfield
    Guys, I hunt ONLY public land (since 2005) and can honestly say that I have seen more deer and had less other hunters that ruined my hunt than on any piece of private land that i hunted before. The key is finding big woods and going deep. If you want to tag along during a gun or bow hunt with me, shoot me a pm and I'll show ya!

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Birdblastingbrad seems the best way to go for now.... Take him up on his offer and have a great time , you may just make a friend for life ???

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    If you can afford the equipment buy it,(bow,.22, shotgun, muzzleloader, or deer legal rifle) but don't let lack of equipment keep you out of being in the field. Get a like minded partner and get out there as often as you can.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    With all the squabbling, political :poop:, whining, fussing, etc. we often forget how cool of a place INGO actually is. Some of my best friendships in recent years have developed from meeting INGOers. :yesway:

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Drive south on 49 and once you cross the Kankakee river, there is public hunting ground on the east side, I forget the name. Bow only. You may try that out. Its only 15-20 minutes away assuming the bridge over the river has been repaired.

Top Bottom