• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indianafly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    I was wondering if A. J. Brown is still open. I went to his website and no links work.

I'm contemplating selling my Dtech 358wssm and all the reloading stuff that goes with it and have A.J. make a 358 hoosier barrel for the AR10 build I'm planning.

If anyone has any info on his status it would be greatly appreciated.

If he isn't taking orders anymore I would be happy to know of any qualified smiths doing this type of work.

Thanks all.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    A fried of mine has had a Remington action there for almost 2 years and can't get ahold of him and hasn't heard anything from him in a very long time. My suggestion would be to find someone else. Another friend of mine is the owner of Southern Indiana Precision and has a .358 Grant reamer and also a Hoosier reamer. His turn around time is very quick for how busy he stays and he builds some very nice rifles. Last weekend he had 41 builds in the line up.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    When I talked to him at the last 1500 he said he was going to be taking a couple of trips to Africa so it might be hit and miss getting a hold of him.

Bob

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    So he's doing work from more recent customers when my buddy has been waiting almost 2 years for his build?

I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions too quickly... it's very likely you don't have the whole story here...

That being said, it can also depend on what the work entails. IMHO, if 1 guy has a full-out custom build that will take 20-40 man-hours and another guy has a quick, 20 minute job that needs done the quick job will get done long before the other no matter what was "in line first".

indianafly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Well put. I've worked with him a few years ago but I had to cancel my order because of a family issue. He was extremely easy to work with and that's why I would like to work with him again. If I have my choice he will be the one that I will work with now. The contact form doesn't appear to be working on his website but I will try and give him a call today. Hopefully he is still taking orders.

indianafly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    I haven't tried to call yet but decided to try and sell the wssm anyway. Just posted it in the for sales. Hopefully when I call he will be taking on new work.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions too quickly... it's very likely you don't have the whole story here...

That being said, it can also depend on what the work entails. IMHO, if 1 guy has a full-out custom build that will take 20-40 man-hours and another guy has a quick, 20 minute job that needs done the quick job will get done long before the other no matter what was "in line first".

I'm not necessarily jumping to any conclusions. What I do know is that my friends action will be there for 2 yeara in August. Whether it's a full out custom build or threading a barrel, 2 years is insane and I would have picked it up and found someone else by now. I know I probably sound like I'm bashing him but out of my 3 friends who have dealt with him, all 3 have been let down. The other two had Hoosiers built by him 2 years ago. They sent theit actions to him in April and were told they'd have them by june, they didn't get them until 1 week before deer season, and still had to develop a load for them. Every month they called and were told they'd be ready the next month. That went on for almost 5 months.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    When he did work for me a couple months ago, it was just putting on an EFR, so it was not a big job.

He built me a 260 years ago, and it was about 8 months from start to finish. Something folks dont always consider when building high end custom rifles is most parts used are not just sitting on manufacturer's shelves. Stocks have wait times, actions have wait times, barrels, etc. 2 years is a little over the top, but a 12-18 month wait is kind of the industry standard if you want to use a high level national builder. Keep in mind, AJ is not one of the best in Indiana, he is one of the best in the US.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Just make sure he spells Hoosier correct. Which he did not on my $1500 rifle and then blew me off when I questioned it.

I have since shuffled the "Hooseir" down the road. It will be my last AJB.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Just make sure he spells Hoosier correct. Which he did not on my $1500 rifle and then blew me off when I questioned it.

I have since shuffled the "Hooseir" down the road. It will be my last AJB.

It's a small detail, but it would absolutely bug the snot out of me too...especially when you paid that kind of money for something that is supposed to be a pristine premium firearm.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    It's a small detail, but it would absolutely bug the snot out of me too...especially when you paid that kind of money for something that is supposed to be a pristine premium firearm.

Well at least you could resell it unlike a tattoo spelled wrong.....kind of have to live with that one!

7mmRM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Celestine , IN
    Since my shop, Southern Indiana Precision, was brought up I will chime in a little.. I'm not here to knock anyone , but will say that we builders are at the mercy of our suppliers. Be it tools or parts. That said, we in the precision rifle building world have it like we have never had it before. More than a few retailers, many small time, stock quality barrel blanks, actions, stocks, etc. With good pricing to boot. This works great for relatively quick turnaround. The talk about extremely long lead times, lack of attention to detail, ammo that won't chamber, won't fire, etc as being acceptable for whatever reason is simply unacceptable in my shop. YMMV.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom