• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HobbyGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Newburgh
    My pastor knows that I carry a Glock. He has seen me carry it (sloppy CC) outside of church. The next Sunday he came to me and told me that I looked good in my sport coat. Only thing missing was a Glock. I pulled my jacket back and showed him that nothing was missing. :)

He told me that both my Glock and I were welcome in the church. :)

Nice to know that my friends and I can go to church.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I looked at the story and I'm disappointed that what they really want is people to carry unloaded guns in their holsters. In my opinion, that's not "open carry."

I was thinking of going down there to join them for a while, but not now. No point.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, and in a big group is probably relatively harmless.

I just don't think holsters are the place for an unloaded gun. And of course, this is one of my many objections to shooting sports that continue to promulgate the "cold range" nonsense, as if it is somehow safer. It only leads to people believing that there are two sets of rules ... one for loaded guns and one for guns they assume are unloaded.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I looked at the story and I'm disappointed that what they really want is people to carry unloaded guns in their holsters. In my opinion, that's not "open carry."

I was thinking of going down there to join them for a while, but not now. No point.
    +1

The retarded "insurance regulations" bull $hit was trotted out again. I seriously doubt the churches "insurance" has a "no loaded guns" clause.

The "safety" reason is even sillier.

Yeah, lets all have a bunch of people carrying paper weights...

The pastors heart may be in the right place, but his brain is not.

Al B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    EM78 South IN
    Unloaded?

Wow, a congregation of people carrying unloaded firearms. Might as well carry rocks or sticks.
    Only to be topped by Southeast Missouri State University telling the Basic Law Enforcement graduates that they must wear their department uniforms at graduation, but the firearms must be unloaded.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Yeah, and in a big group is probably relatively harmless.

I just don't think holsters are the place for an unloaded gun. And of course, this is one of my many objections to shooting sports that continue to promulgate the "cold range" nonsense, as if it is somehow safer. It only leads to people believing that there are two sets of rules ... one for loaded guns and one for guns they assume are unloaded.

Agreed. I was taught from day one as a youngster that there is only one set of rules...loaded. It's still a good thing for them to take this 'baby step' toward a congregation that no idiot BG will ever walk into and attack. I would guess that most BG's would know that there are at least some of the paritioners who conveniently forgot to remove the mag.

Thanks for this post.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Bring your guns to church

This story is also making the local news here this morning...

Pastor to church members: Bring guns - Faith- msnbc.com

APTRANS.gif
    updated 5:55 p.m. CT, Thurs., June 4, 2009

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - A Kentucky pastor is inviting his flock to bring guns to church to celebrate the Fourth of July and the Second Amendment.
    New Bethel Church is welcoming "responsible handgun owners" to wear their firearms inside the church June 27, a Saturday. An ad says there will be a handgun raffle, patriotic music and information on gun safety.
    "We're just going to celebrate the upcoming theme of the birth of our nation," said pastor Ken Pagano. "And we're not ashamed to say that there was a strong belief in God and firearms — without that this country wouldn't be here."
    The guns must be unloaded and private security will check visitors at the door, Pagano said.He said recent church shootings, including the killing Sunday of a late-term abortion provider in Kansas, which he condemned, highlight the need to promote safe gun ownership. The New Bethel Church event was planned months before Dr. George Tiller was shot to death in a Wichita church.
    Kentucky allows residents to openly carry guns in public with some restrictions. Gun owners carrying concealed weapons must have state-issued permits and can't take them to schools, jails or bars, among other exceptions.
    Pagano's Protestant church, which attracts up to 150 people to Sunday services, is a member of the Assemblies of God. The former Marine and handgun instructor said he expected some backlash, but has heard only a "little bit" of criticism of the gun event.
    Up in arms
    John Phillips, an Arkansas pastor who was shot twice while leading a service at his former church in 1986, said a house of worship is no place for firearms.
    "A church is designated as a safe haven, it's a place of worship," said Phillips, who was shot by a church member's relative for an unknown reason and still has a bullet lodged in his spine. "It is unconscionable to me to think that a church would be a place that you would even want to bring a weapon."
    Phillips spoke out against a bill before the Arkansas General Assembly that would have permitted the carrying of guns in that state's churches. The bill failed in February.
    Pagano, 50, said some members of his church were concerned that President Barack Obama's administration could restrict gun ownership, and they supported the plan for the event when Pagano asked their opinion.
    'Responsible' gun ownership
    Marian McClure Taylor, executive director of the Kentucky Council of Churches, an umbrella organization for 11 Christian denominations in Kentucky, said Christian churches are promoters of peace, but "most allow for arms to be taken up under certain conditions."
    Taylor said Pagano assured her the event would focus on promoting responsible gun ownership and any proceeds would go to charity.
    "Those two commitments are consistent with the high value the Assemblies of God churches place on human life," she said in an e-mail message.

Pagano is encouraging church members to bring a canned good and a friend to the event. He said guns must be unloaded for insurance purposes and safety reasons.
    He said the point was not to mix worship with guns, though he may reference some passages from the Bible.
    "Firearms can be evil and they can be useful," he said. "We're just trying to promote responsible gun ownership and gun safety."

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I don't understand the whole intent of this pastor and his request.

Seems to me that he should simply say that law abiding license/permit holders should feel welcome, during ANY and EVERY mass, to carry a gun into church if they regularly carry a gun.

To have a special "carry your gun to church day" seems sort of silly. Is he going to have a follow up service "bring your dog to church day" because dogs are man's best friend? Or maybe a "drive your classic car to church day" because suburban sprawl was made possible by automobiles?

Top Bottom