• Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Gloria Allred seeks Rush Limbaugh prosecution - MJ Lee - POLITICO.com
    Excerpt below. I doubt this is going to go anywhere but I find it interesting that the left actually want Rush prosecuted for exercising his first Amendment rights. I thought they were the party that cherished free speech.

In a letter dated March 8, Allred, writing on behalf of the Women’s Equal Rights Legal Defense and Education Fund, requested that Palm Beach County State Attorney Michael McAuliffe probe whether the conservative radio personality had violated Section 836.04 of the Florida Statutes by calling Georgetown University law student Sandra Fluke the two derogatory words.
    The statute stipulates that anyone who “speaks of and concerning any woman, married or unmarried, falsely and maliciously imputing to her a want of chastity” is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree. Allred explained that the statute recently came to her attention as having never been repealed, and that it could very well apply to Limbaugh’s remarks as his show is broadcast from West Palm Beach.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Interesting observation: Bill Maher--the fine, upstanding individual he is--called Sarah Palin at least two horrible names, referred to Gov. Palin and Rep. Bachmann as “two bimbos,” and made a joke about Sen. Santorum’s wife using a vibrator. Funny that we don't see the same uproar among the general public and the media when the shoe is on the LEFT foot.

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    Limbaugh could defend himself against someone like allRED and shred them to pieces. However even the most ignorant Prosecutor would know that since MS Fluke entered the public arena as it were, she is subject to First Amendment protected scrutiny. These type of challenges have passed Supreme Court Muster and Precedence. Gloria Alred.....what a hack!!!

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Fluke is a slut.
    Maher is a jackass.
    Sorry Allred, but attempting to suppress natural rights documented in the First Amendment will not change what they are.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I suspect you're missing the point; try to keep the negative issue in the public eye for as long as possible, since it (theoretically) keeps Limbaugh on the defensive (fat chance) and, more importantly, diverts attention from the economy and our disastrous foreign policy in the MidEast and elsewhere in an election year. Expect to see much more of this type of stuff this year.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    "The statute stipulates that anyone who “speaks of and concerning any woman, married or unmarried, falsely and maliciously imputing to her a want of chastity” is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree."

As Ms. Fluke freely admits she has sex, "imputing" her "want of chastity" cannot be false.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You guys are looking way too short sighted. I doubt they actually expect a conviction. I think it's concerted effort to keep the bad pub on Rush. Rush said a stupid thing, and his endorsements have been evaporating as if he were an NBA player that diddled a maid. The longer this stays fresh in the media, the more damage it does.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    There's no actionable cause that can be brought against Limbaugh. For her to prevail at trial, she would have to prove real, tangible damages as a result of his alleged defamation of her. There have been none. In fact, one would assume her bank account balance has increased since the episode, given the number of interviews she is doing. She also surrendered the protections that have historically been afforded to non-public citizens when she appeared in a staged event that was designed to appear as though it was an official hearing. Case law has hundreds of examples that would prevent her from prevailing at trial.

Whether Limbaugh's conduct was good or bad is another matter but, in this case, there is nothing actionable.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    "Women’s Equal Rights Legal Defense fund"

Do they also defend Conservative women that have been the victims of denigrating and misogynistic verbal attacks?

Silly me, what was I thinking.. :n00b:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    You guys are looking way too short sighted. I doubt they actually expect a conviction. I think it's concerted effort to keep the bad pub on Rush. Rush said a stupid thing, and his endorsements have been evaporating as if he were an NBA player that diddled a maid. The longer this stays fresh in the media, the more damage it does.

The moron creates his own bad publicity. No need to really go after him. Just wait a week or 2 and his moronic ways will have him back in the news again. People will continue eating up his ignorant views and other people will continue complaining. Why not just turn his show off and learn to think for yourselves? If enough people did that, we'd never even have to hear his name again (or any of the other jackass talking heads).

Top Bottom