• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ~Jeff~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    After I read the following story this morning about our school districts new "strong security measures" I felt compelled to write the superintendent and our local newspaper editor with my concerns. This is the copy of what I sent.

http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/education/ ... y-measures

Mr. Yager,
    I am a parent of a SWAC student. As I do every morning I check the local news to see what's going on in my town. Today I read the headline about the new 'strong security measures" at SWAC schools. I was anxious to read what the people in charge of our schools had decided would be the most effective method to protect our children. There is nothing in the world more worthy of our protection than our children. I feel it is very important for schools to be aware of who enters our schools, as you know it is already policy that you have to pass a background check to volunteer at school. I would like to know how exactly requiring parents that have already passed the background check to notify the school 24 hours in advance of their visit will make our children safer?
    To quote the story from WANE TV

"While other school districts are looking into arming staff members with concealed weapons. Southwest Allen County Schools will not consider the idea."

"We're not interested in training teachers or school personnel, in handing them weapons"

It is disappointing and extremely terrifying to see this is your position. While other school districts are doing everything they can to protect our children and are considering having personnel trained in the safe handling of weapons to fully protect our children, SWAC schools has decided the best way to protect our children from harm is to require parents give 24 hours notice before coming into school to volunteer. What do you think the odds are that this new "security measure" would have prevented the incident in Connecticut? One thing I know for sure that that people with ill intentions do not follow rules, I can assure you that none of the criminals that commit these heinous acts will take the time to call in advance to let you know they're coming.

In the following story from 2010 a gunman came to a school and was stopped by a trained armed security guard and held till police arrived. I doubt he called in advance to let them know he was coming.

http://www.tricities.com/news/article_3 ... 91713.html

The main reason we moved to this area was for the great schools, their safety, and the opportunity it provides our children. I am now thinking that may not have been the best decision if you are "not interested" in taking every possible precaution when it comes to protecting our children.

Signed a very concerned and disappointed SWAC parent,

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The 24 hour notice thing is ridiculous. That has nothing to do with security whatsoever and I would raise absolute hell if our school tried to implement that.

As far as arming teachers, I am somewhat torn on that. I think even if the schools paid for both the weapons and the training that there would be very little interest from the teachers. Most that I know don't want to carry a gun.

I went to a security meeting for our school district a couple weeks ago and someone in the audience asked about having parents (either ex law enforcement or ex military) do volunteer work to help out and that was quickly shut down. That seems like a pretty good low cost measure to me.

~Jeff~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I discussed with my wife the idea of volunteering to take any necessary training and donating my time to be a security guard at my daughters school. But after reading the story I can see that would be a waste of time to even offer.

As far as the teachers I think it would have to be 100% their choice if they wanted to. I think having someone in the office armed as long as they're trained would be the best way to go honestly.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Great letter Jeff. Unbelievable that a school would suggest controlling access to parents is somehow going to lessen the odds of a Newtown-style tragedy. Not only is it insulting, it's incredibly stupid. Do they still have such a thing as PTA or some kind of meetings between school board and parents? Maybe its time to attend.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Great! I respect you for standing up for everyone's children! I might add that I would also send it to all of the school board members because then I believe it will have to be addresses at the next school board meeting.

~Jeff~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Great! I respect you for standing up for everyone's children! I might add that I would also send it to all of the school board members because then I believe it will have to be addresses at the next school board meeting.

Great idea. Thank you!!

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Once again, an educator shows how uneducated they are. Sheesh. This whole issue is one of COMMON SENSE people. Why do these nutjobs targets school kids? Because they CAN. Schools offer ZERO resistance. And this moron administrator now wants to make it HARDER for parents to come to the school? Does the district also hire someone to follow him around and slap him regularly, to remind him to breathe?

This moron administrator is PRECISELY why we need to completely overhaul the public school system.

Sorry about the rant. I am a former teacher, and I have seen the insanity that is public education from the INSIDE. I left the profession because of the corruption at the administrative level.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I went to a security meeting for our school district a couple weeks ago and someone in the audience asked about having parents (either ex law enforcement or ex military) do volunteer work to help out and that was quickly shut down. That seems like a pretty good low cost measure to me.

Same with our district which floors me! Who would have a more vested interest in protecting our kids than us? These are the kids we do scouts with, play sports with, go to church with, and live in our neighborhoods with! Not to mention our own children, who better to protect there lives!

~Jeff~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    common sense is in short supply these days and it's discouraged by most schools.

I sent it to all the school board members I could find emails for. We'll see if I get any response.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    I've never heard that a school shooter was a parent of a student at the school where the shooting took place. Anyone?

~Jeff~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've had one school board member reply so far. His response was positive to my letter. From what he replied he sounded like he heard about it on the news too. Of course he could be full of it as well.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I've had one school board member reply so far. His response was positive to my letter. From what he replied he sounded like he heard about it on the news too. Of course he could be full of it as well.
    It was nice talking to you yesterday Jeff. 24 hours notice*** yeah like bad guys make appointments.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The 24 hour notice thing is ridiculous. That has nothing to do with security whatsoever and I would raise absolute hell if our school tried to implement that.

What do you expect? The current generation of government school administrators have been cultivated by 50 years of carefully defined edu-doctrination policies...planting the seeds that have lead to the ideas that government schools are not for educating our children, but instead they are for raising our children and demonstrating how parents of these children are not capable of child rearing or protecting their own. Sadly, look at some of these parents, that are also products of a government school system that has failed on all counts for half a century.

Frankly, I wouldn't trust most of the government school system instructors or administrators to use deadly force in the protection of anything.

Take your vouchers and get your kids OUT of the government schools.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I bet the instant some lunatic shoots his way in the front door, they will be "interested in guns", because they will be forced to either kill or be killed, and having just a pair of scissors will put them in the latter category.

Or instead would they choose to die as martyrs, taking your children along with them, to advance the cause of destroying the second amendment?

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    If you want to want a question that will hit them hard, ask them if an unfortunate circumstance were to occurr at te school, provided that the lunatic doesn't notify the school that they intend on harming innocent staff and children, would licensed parents still need to notify the school before they come pick up their children, living or not.

May open a few eyes at how stupid it is.

~Jeff~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well the newspaper actually posted my letter online, they said they would edit it and they made a few little changes but not a bunch.

Last edited:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Good luck doing anything with Steve Yeager, he is a douche bag. My kids are in Northwest Allen County Schools and it was a very happy day when we heard Ole Mr. Steve was moving, though I did feel a little tinge of remorse that he was going to Southwest Allen County Schools knowing what a turd you all were getting.

Biggest thing about Steve "douche bag" Yeager is, it is his way or the highway!! There will be no compromise with him. Just in case you hadn't picked up on my feelings about him yet, I really don't care for him.

Wishing you very good luck!!

Top Bottom