• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VSP1340

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Greenwood
    So, after ignoring AK's, like a lawn that needs mowed, I finally own one. Nothing like the government banning something to peek a man's interest (i.e. Russian manufactured models). I received one as a Christmas present from the family. After researching the platform in depth, I settled on the Arsenal SLR 107-34. The rifle is really nice and straight, as far as the receiver, gas block, and front sight assembly. Since it's arrival I've been trying to make it mine with a few tasteful mods. The other day I decided to swap the brake. When I pulled off the OEM unit I noticed the spring loaded detent was at about the 11 o'clock position instead of the 12 which I was expecting.

I fired off a quick email with a photo (this was about a week ago) to Arsenal customer service asking if this is normal. A quick google search only yielded a photo of one sight block that looked similar. Well, I just received a reply from Jennifer with Arsenal. Her reply was, "I don't understand what you are asking. Your picture is too close up. Can you take one from further away."

Needless to say, I won't be following up with Jennifer. Can any of you tell me if the detent is supposed to be off center? See pics below and thanks in advance. FYI, the sight block photo is the same one I sent Arsenal. The other two are of the one I found online and an overview of the actual rifle.

E9E71667-ABB5-4989-8891-F939430841D7_zps6qy89knk.jpg

4DA2D687-4A9F-4554-ACEC-AEA60F85C809_zpsstzjxrwt.jpg

0ED1B22C-BA42-491B-8F19-268CE412E8D4_zpstxorx3dp.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If it gives you problems, you can always get rid of the detent pin and just use a crush washer. That's what I ended up doing on my VZ2008 because when the detent pin was engaged, the brake I put on was "wobbly" and I couldn't tighten it a full revolution to engage the pin properly.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Thank goodness you got an Arsenal instead of a CAI WASR....Your head would be spinning over the lack of attention to detail...:)

I think you are fine...Arsenal AK's are (IMHO) among the finest out there....Nothing says love from a family like an AK from a former enemy and now member of NATO....Enjoy it.....

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Is that a stake on adapter on the end of the barrel or are there set screws that attach it to the barrel which appears to be unthreaded?

VSP1340

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Greenwood
    Is that a stake on adapter on the end of the barrel or are there set screws that attach it to the barrel which appears to be unthreaded?

Alright, I may slaughter AK lingo but I believe it's a sight block unit (which includes 24x1.5 threads) pressed and pinned to the end of the barrel. In other words, the threads are part of the front sight.

The brake went on fine. If anything it was pressing too hard on the cleaning rod. I took off the rod and removed a couple thousands from the hidden/threaded end and recoated it with black oxide. Now the brake barely touches it. I don't want to ruin those barrel harmonics.;)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have to agree that it looks like the pin is slightly offset, but to be honest, I wouldn't worry. It is not offset enough to make any difference in what you feel when you fire the rifle.

My personal opinion, more a looks thing then anything that will cause problems.

VSP1340

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Greenwood
    Do you think this is on purpose? Doesn't that sight block pic on the bottom look the same? That pic is of a replacement Bulgarian sight block. I assume the same type Arsenal used on mine. Is there an advantage to tilting the brake?

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Too answer alot of questions the front sight unit is known as a front sight block (FSB) The AK-74 has a threaded front sight for the muzzle break for your arsenal the thread pitch will be m24x1.5mm RH.... It is retained by two barrel pins (to remove them they must be pressed or knocked out by hammer and a punch) Far as the alignment of the muzzle break detent pin this is fairly normal... i have seen them completely centered and off to ether side... however there is not enough misalignment of the detent to make any difference to the effectiveness of the compenstator... so its purely cosmetic

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    It is timed a wee bit short of 12:00. Looks to be 11:58 to me. As said above, it is still above the bore and will not affect barrel harmonics.

For reference, here is picture of an old school AKM Muzzle Brake. It directs the blast up and to the right to counteract recoil and muzzle climb during rapid fire. Your brake ever so slightly does the same thing. (if you are right handed.)

lori-2391-AK.jpg

VSP1340

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Greenwood
    It is timed a wee bit short of 12:00. Looks to be 11:58 to me. As said above, it is still above the bore and will not affect barrel harmonics.

For reference, here is picture of an old school AKM Muzzle Brake. It directs the blast up and to the right to counteract recoil and muzzle climb during rapid fire. Your brake ever so slightly does the same thing. (if you are right handed.)

lori-2391-AK.jpg

^This is what I was suspecting. I just needed someone to explain it. You're right it's between 11-12. It doesn't bother me at all and that's weird. I'd normally stress about the smallest imperfection. This seems on purpose.

Top Bottom