• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hrdwarhax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    Marion Co. Castleton
    Let me start out by saying that I love my car. It is a 2003 white Nissan Maxima. It has been a dream to drive, untill this month. it decided to make weird noises. took it in to get looked at. they say they fixed it. well they didnt, thats ok, it ran better than before, just theres still this noise. well i didnt find out for sure what it was untill today...........When my brake shoe fell out. it fell out and i couldnt stop. I picked it up. there was no ceramic left at all, in fact there were deep gouges in the steel of the shoe. well ok that is one bad thing. Factor in that I am in Bloomington and i live in Indianapolis. Well, we ended up leaving it in a parking garage untill we can deal with a repair place down there. It is parked in the jordan garage at IU if anyone has any recomendations???

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Recommendations?..... Get your brakes fixed, then go back to the " mechanic" that couldn't diagnose a simple brake noise and ask him what he " fixed" ?

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Drive it straight to the mechanics house drive through the front door, and say sorry you couldn't find anything wrong with my car!!!

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Was it the front or rear brakes. If it is the front, and you are mechanically inclined at all, you could install a new set of pads on that side, and drive it home.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    unfortunately these places are hard to find open on sunday....unless lucky enough to find a person to do it there at the garage on his own private time....i wuld do it if i had the knowledge...maybe one os here can find someone for you...hope you get it fixed:ingo:

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Normally I would NOT recommend these guys. But they are open on Sunday.
    Pep Boys

• (812) 334-0204
    3160 W Susan Dr, Bloomington, IN 47404
    Get directions

Cross Streets: Between N Gates Dr and N Jacob Dr

Been there before. Good luck.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Brakes are easy if you have the tools, but I wouldn't want to learn it by trial and error out in the cold ;) I did the fronts on the pirate car Dec 31 1999 and the rears Jan 1 2000. Millennial brakes! (There was a warm front, so it was pretty nice out). Bout a week after my wife died, but it needed them.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Today?

I don't think they're open on Sunday but..........When my daughter was living in Bloomington, she always took her car to Pritchard's on E 10th St. They did good work and treated her fairly.

MRTOOSE

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Putnam Co
    Meineke might be open on Sunday . but one time my alternator went out in Bloomington and they wanted around 850 to replace it ..called my local guy back home and he said could do for 280 . So they may be able to do it today but you are going to pay way to much ....

hrdwarhax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    Marion Co. Castleton
    this just in. me and dad took it to a place on 3rd and walnut that is opened on sundays. express tires or expert tires. i cant remember. it was the rear brakes and it should be done tomorrow. thanks everyone for the advice. and a little info on our mechanic. He did pake one noise go away (in retrospect) they flushed my oil system with solvent and my engine runs like new. now it just wont stop :P. But everything is alright now. Thanks everyone again, Im sticking the fork in this thread

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    How did you not hear the high pitched squealing when you put on the brakes?

As a technician I also ask HOW DID YOU NOT HEAR??? In order for a brake pad to "fall out" which is virtually impossible unless it's ground it down to the "nub" how did you not hear this? the noise must have been there for days if not weeks. Did the mechanic quote you a price which you thought was too expensive (I see this all the time) and after they have crappy brakes installed they still come back to me to repair them properly.

I'd like to hear the "mechanics" side of the story, as I once said to an old boss of mine "there's much more to cars than owning and driving one"
    PM me if you want it fixed properly, Oh and by the way, you'll now need new rotors, brake pads, and possibly a new caliper... But hey what do I know??

hrdwarhax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    Marion Co. Castleton
    oh no no, ttrust me i heard, and yes it did go on for a month or so and trust me, it realy did fall out. there was no pad left. it was ground down to the steel. i knew something bad was happening. everyone around me did. i just never had time to have them fix THAT issue. ther was some bad rattling comming from the engine before. my regular guys fixed that and were smart in NOT fixing what i didnt ask to be fixed. i know ill need new pads and proboly rotors. i doubt calipers tho

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I had a front brake pad fail on my previous car...

It too was worn down to metal on metal.

Please trust me when I say that there weren't any auditory warnings that the pads were worn.

Which was why I was so stinking shocked when I had my car looked at and the diagnosis came in.

If I'd known the condition of my brakes...I'd have not driven from 75th / Binford down to the US 31 / Stop 12 area where I lived at the time.

Surprised that you couldn't stop, though, when a rear pad failed. Rear brakes...even disc brakes, are still only accounting for something like 35% of the braking force.

-J-

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    The rattling from the engine could be anything... but screeching brakes are a dead give away that something is wrong with them ;)

I'm no mechanic but I've learned a hell of a lot from working on my own Toyota.

Top Bottom