• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    A few hours ago (I had to take a while to settle down) I ran a friend of my son home. While on the way home I stopped at the intersection of Darden Road and 933. I see something in the passenger side mirror (I am a mirror watcher, I have been ass ended by to many Saturday Night drunks). Next thing I hear is a click(door button pushed) and see a face looking me in the window. A blue car behind me. I jumped on the gas and got the hell out of there. In my mirror I see the guy jump in the car behind me. Lucky the doors on my PT Cruizer lock at drive away so they locked when I left my sons friends house, They did not follow me. They turned north towards Michigan.

I did not hang around to see what was going to happen. I usually lay my pistol in my lap when I drive at night. I do not know if the reason they did not follow me was because he spotted the pistol in my lap or I just spooked them with my fast reaction. I will never know. I called the police and gave a description of the vehicle. And the guy (the best I could for the time frame). They said they did not know if they would come out since nothing happened. Still haven't came. I doubt I could give them anymore info them what I gave them on the PH.

Point I am making is be aware of your surroundings! Be quick to react but don't over react. I was lucky and skill had nothing to do with it. The gun was never drawn. And I am thankful for that! Not sure what I did wrong here but I am sure I will be told about it! I have to much adrenalin flowing to sleep for a while. Everyone be safe!

Nothing like living near the Crime spree city of South Bend.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    While I applaud your reaction time, Perhaps getting a cheap fobus holster and rigging it with hook/loop for crossdraw would be beneficial to maintaining control of the gun in the potential of an accident, or getting pulled over.

It wouldn't be too difficult to rig up a crossdraw that wouldn't create a fracture point in the event of an accident AND that could be a quick release...I actually may do this for my g19 :)

Would be pretty awesome to rig up for sale too. Woot :D

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    True TC.

Double T:I usually carely my 1911 and I carry it as cross draw. I was wearing sweats and carrying my bug. S&W 640-3 that I carry in a pocket holster. I am going to be getting a different holster ASAP. Might just crossdraw. I hate the ideal of not having it attached to me. So a steering collume or console mount is probably not an option. We will see.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    True TC.

Double T:I usually carely my 1911 and I carry it as cross draw. I was wearing sweats and carrying my bug. S&W 640-3 that I carry in a pocket holster. I am going to be getting a different holster ASAP. Might just crossdraw. I hate the ideal of not having it attached to me. So a steering collume or console mount is probably not an option. We will see.

I'm talking about rigging something like malice clips to your seat belt to make it a cross draw :)

Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Mindset Labs offers a vehicle force on force class that is really good! I highly recommend it if you drive and/or ride in a vehicle while carrying a sidearm ever.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Has anyone advocated using a firearm on the individual trying to enter the car?

Sure i will advocate that... if a guy is jumping into my car, he might get shot.

For the situation... glad to hear you got out of there. Good for you for having the doors locked (while be it automatic) and for not sitting around like a dear in headlights.

I've learned in life that in any type of situation there are people who freeze and those who react immediately. Whether it is car crash, a robbery attempt or a spilled glass of water on the dinner table. Most people will freeze, but some move immediately!

The same people that move to grab a towel and start wiping up the water (before it has a chance to run off the table and onto the floor) will likely be the same person who will react quickly in an emergency.

XDmShootr21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Brazil, Indiana
    It's to bad you didn't run over his foot or drag him for a couple of blocks. Good job getting out of there unharmed.

I don't quite see this as using deadly force, especially if it happens as you're trying to flee the situation. The idiot shouldn't have tried to enter your vehicle and put himself in a situation to get his foot ran over or dragged behind the vehicle (he can let go at any time). Now if you turned the car around and chased him down you'd have a different story altogether.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I think you did a great job, you wasn't just thinking I have a gun and am prepared to use it but what's the easiest and safest way out of this. It's decisions like yours that protect our right to bear arms. I say we'll done and stay sharp.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have reread this post several times to try to see where the use of deadly force could be justified. I fail to see that justification

Would you suppose that's why I did not use any! I used what I thought was my best option. The gas pedal. Had the guy made it in to my car I might have made a different decision. Even then I don't know if deadly force would be use. Are you reading something I did not type?

MPH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    <~NOT a 'Baker' unit
    You did good here. Sometimes folks read too much into a situation, especially when you the OP didn't even advocate what was suggested by another poster.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Great job OP. You got out with your life and property intact. As much as we would have all liked to run the would-be thief over, I also feel that you would now be up a certain creek without a paddle if you had used deadly force.

Top Bottom