• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i may as well throw these in as well. This not really related to 11 years theme but what the hell.
    300px-US_incarceration_timeline-clean.svg.png

300px-U.S._adult_correctional_population_timeline.gif

According to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) 2,292,133 adults were incarcerated in U.S. federal and state prisons, and county jails at year-end 2009 — about 1% of adults in the U.S. resident population.[2][3][7][8] Additionally, 4,933,667 adults at year-end 2009 were on probation or on parole.[2] In total, 7,225,800 adults were under correctional supervision (probation, parole, jail, or prison) in 2009 — about 3.1% of adults in the U.S. resident population.[1][2][9] In addition, there were 86,927 juveniles in juvenile detention in 2007.[10][11]
    Looking at the second chart, it looks like we went from under 1.5 Million in the corrections system in 1980 to 7.25Million in 2009. That is a growth rat of nearly 8X the population growth of the country as a whole.

Central planning not working on many levels. Not just economically speaking.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So if you look at all the charts together, maybe NOTHING has actually went up in price (as based on Gold) It just seems that our money is not worth anything. Does anyone else see it that way?

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So if you look at all the charts together, maybe NOTHING has actually went up in price (as based on Gold) It just seems that our money is not worth anything. Does anyone else see it that way?

Several months ago, I took a picture of a $20 bill next to a 1 ounce $20 gold coin, worth the same amount in 1800 and 1900 and then put 80 - $20 bills under it, to represent the value at that time. Today, that EXACT SAME COIN, same size, same weight, same amount of gold is worth 85 - $20 bills. Our government is destroying our currency in front of our very eyes!

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy

Stuff doesn't really go up all that much in value. Money goes down in value. Rather than being based on a thing (gold, for example), our money is based upon a promise. That promise really can't be believed.

As to the charts, seems to me they illustrate the crash that occurred at the end of the Bush administration and the slow downward spiral both parties have kept us in since.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Our government is destroying our currency in front of our very eyes!

--the voice of the American people--
    As long as they don't cut ...
    my social security
    my medicare
    my disability
    my unemployment
    my mortage tax deduction
    my child tax credit
    my transportation subsidiary
    my energy tax credit
    my ....

WE DO NOT CARE!!!
    ---

-Jedi
    :rolleyes:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Stuff doesn't really go up all that much in value. Money goes down in value. Rather than being based on a thing (gold, for example), our money is based upon a promise. That promise really can't be believed.

As to the charts, seems to me they illustrate the crash that occurred at the end of the Bush administration and the slow downward spiral both parties have kept us in since.
    Stuff goes up (and down) in value (the more appropriate term is cost) all the time. Inflationary influences are but one reason. Scarcity and value (not used as a synonym of cost, but instead reflecting the worth, utility, and/or need for such an item) are constant influences that change independent of the relative buying power of the dollar.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Stuff goes up (and down) in value (the more appropriate term is cost) all the time.

Cost and value are not actually synonyms. Cost is money. Value is worth. I wrote value. I meant value.

Yes, things do fluctuate somewhat in value, but not to particularly large degrees, unless the supply runs out or there's a glut. Cost, on the other hand, keeps going up because of a glut of fiat (not the Italian car) money.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Weimar Republic, Zimbabwe, U.S.S.R. are great examples of recent Central Planning. Governments printing money and directing resources have everything to do with cost, causing stuff to go up and down (up), but the consumer ultimately determines the value.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Until the entire system collapses and can get a reboot, there will be no change. We currently have no free market system and are operating under crony capitalism. That has to end and government has to be restrained before free markets can come about. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening anytime soon. The corporatism based oligarchy is too firmly entrenched in DC and it may well take a nuclear option to flush that particular toilet.

Top Bottom