• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There is no Indiana-wide blade-length statute.

There are indeed some municipalities in IN who DO have max blade length statues.

The preemption statute in the IN Code for Firearms laws doesn't apply to knives; because knives aren't firearms.

Know your local ordinances!

-J-

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I was pulled over once and the police officer asked if I had any weapons and I said a pocket knife, and he took it from me and opened it and laid it on the hood of my car and Measured it. He said if it would have been over 4 inches I would have been in Big Trouble..So I think there is a blade limit.

There is no Indiana-wide blade-length statute.

There are indeed some municipalities in IN who DO have max blade length statues.

The preemption statute in the IN Code for Firearms laws doesn't apply to knives; because knives aren't firearms.

Know your local ordinances!

-J-

Correct. Indianapolis has a knife-length ordinance that I just found out about a couple of days ago. Sen. Jim Tomes sent out a newsletter including this text in a PDF issued by the City County Council:

CITY COUNTY COUNCIL PROPOSAL NO. 161, 2011
    CITY OF INDIANAPOLIS-MARION COUNTY, INDIANA
    INTRODUCED: 06/06/2011
    REFERRED TO: Rules and Public Policy Committee
    SPONSOR: Councillor Sandlin
    DIGEST: amends or repeals certain provisions of the Code regarding dangerous weapons and firearms
    to comply with Senate Bill 292, 2011
    SOURCE:
    Initiated by: Councillor Sandlin
    Drafted by: Robert G. Elrod, General Counsel
    LEGAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ADOPTION: PROPOSED EFFECTIVE DATE:
    Subject to approval or veto by Mayor Adoption and approvals
    GENERAL COUNSEL APPROVAL: _________________________________ Date: June 2, 2011
    CITY-COUNTY GENERAL ORDINANCE NO. , 2011
    A PROPOSAL FOR A GENERAL ORDINANCE amending or repealing certain provisions of the Revised
    Code of the Consolidated City and County to comply with S.B. 292, 2011.
    BE IT ORDAINED BY THE CITY-COUNTY COUNCIL OF THE
    CITY OF INDIANAPOLIS AND OF MARION COUNTY, INDIANA:
    SECTION 1. Sec. 451-4 of the Revised Code of the Consolidated City and County, which now reads as
    follows:
    Sec. 451-4. Display of dangerous weapons.
    No pistol, revolver or other dangerous weapon of a similar character, which may be concealed and
    carried upon the person, shall be displayed for sale where it can be seen in or through any window of any
    structure fronting on any street or alley in the city.
    be and the same is hereby repealed.
    SECTION 2. Sec. 451-5 of the Revised Code of the Consolidated City and County, which now reads as
    follows:
    Sec. 451-5. Unlawful disposition of dangerous weapons.
    No person shall sell, give, barter, exchange, lend or otherwise dispose of, or place in the possession
    of any known or suspected habitual user of narcotics or any known or suspected criminal or a person with
    criminal purpose, any type of machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, pistol or revolver, or ammunition therefor,
    or any knucks, billy, sandbag, dagger, dirk, bowie knife or stiletto, or any spring gun, sword cane or any
    other dangerous weapon of any similar character, which may be carried or concealed on or about the
    person and which are commonly used and fit to be used unlawfully to inflict harm on or to any person; or
    any tools, devices or jimmies commonly used for burglary. However, ordinary pocketknives with blades
    not exceeding five (5) inches in length and so known and sold in legitimate trade shall not be included in
    the terms of this section, and the provisions of this section shall not apply to any military forces, peace
    officers or other persons so excepted by law for the possession, use or disposal of any such things be and the same is hereby repealed.
    SECTION 3. Sec. 631-108 of the Revised Code of the Consolidated City and County, be amended by
    deleting the stricken-through text, to read as follows:
    Sec. 631-108. Discharging firearms.
    It shall be unlawful for any person, unless authorized by resolution of the board of parks and
    recreation, to discharge any firearms[STRIKE] or have possession of any firearms[/STRIKE] or other explosive devices, or to
    endanger others by the use of any weapon, article or device, within any park, playground or on any
    property controlled or leased by the department of parks and recreation, or on which a concession has
    been granted by it.
    SECTION 4. This resolution shall be in full force and effect upon adoption and compliance with IC 36-3-
    4-14.
    The foregoing was passed by the City-County Council this _____ day of __________, 2011, at _____
    p.m.

The ordinance, as shown above, is repealed. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Avon, Brownsburg, and Plainfield all have blade length restrictions on knives. I wouldn't consider a machete a knife, though. Closer to the same category as an ax. Which, by they way, Brownsburg ALSO has an ordinance on. :rolleyes:

That said, my truck currently has multiple knives, a hatchet, and Lord knows what else in it.

Top Bottom