A Message Grads & Young People Need To Know...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    "If you were raised in the last thirty years, you’ve heard commencement speakers and self-help gurus tell you to follow your passion and disregard anyone — stodgy parents, uptight teachers, left-brained peers — who would tell you otherwise.
    “If you are passionate about it, pursue it, no matter what anyone else thinks,” advises one husband and wife motivational team. “That’s how dreams are achieved.”
    "Uh, no. This all sounds wise, but it’s a better fit for speeches than it is for either a competitive job market or for the pursuit of happiness. Call it the follow-your-passion myth."

Here's What Young People Need To Hear: Don't 'Follow Your Passion'

M

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I get the sentiment, but I recall a story a guy told about his father: "My father wanted to be a comedian, but he did not believe that was realistic goal. Instead he got a safe job as an accountant, and when I was 12 years old he was let go from that safe job, and our family had to do whatever it could to survive. I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which was 'you can fail at what you don't love, so you might as well take the chance doing what you do love'"

Those are scary words... but they make you think. I've always subscribed to the notion you presented in the OP, but... sometimes you have to take risks to achieve greatness.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I told both of my sons to find something that you can do that you enjoy and get paid for it.

Neither chose careers in manufacturing or agriculture which was my background but both are happy, successful, and doing well.

The getting paid part is what's important.

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I told both of my sons to find something that you can do that you enjoy and get paid for it.

Neither chose careers in manufacturing or agriculture which was my background but both are happy, successful, and doing well.

The getting paid part is what's important.

+1 for Leadeye! My two sons chose careers in Finance and Internet Marketing. So far removed from what my wife and I do professionally as to be in another universe. Both are happy, living on their own and making good money with unlimited potential in the future. What counts most is that you give your kids the best foundations possible and let them find their niche in the world.

Top Bottom