A Minor Slam on the NRA - Please explain this???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I was channel surfing today and I caught the last 10 minutes of Terry Gross on Fresh Air interviewing Tom Diaz of the Violence Policy Center.

Link: Assault-Style Weapons In The Civilian Market : NPR

The ENTIRE BLOODY INTERVIEW was antigun. I respect this. The antigunners have a right to air their opinions and be heard as much as those of us who disagree. That is not my issue.

My issue is what Terry said at the end of the interview. They had invited the NRA, the National Shooting Sports Foundation, and the Freedom Group to speak on this topic and ALL declined!

I get the Freedom Group. They are simply investors who want to make to make money. They have a product to market and that is it. This I understand.

However for the NRA to not participate is a de facto capitulation allowing the antigun group to control the entire dialog! Terry's program was probably going to slant antigun, but to just give away 37 minutes of free, unchallenged airtime to Tom Diaz is what frustrates me about the NRA.:xmad:

The NRA should be accepting every invitation to talk, speak, challenge and debunk antigun propaganda.

Yes, fight in the courtrooms. Yes, fight in the legislatures. Yes, fight on the campaign trail. BUT ALSO FIGHT in the media. Fight in the news.

Having a speaker on Fresh Air could have turned 37 minutes of anitgun propaganda into 20 minutes of propaganda, and possibly undermined that.

What does it serve the protection of our liberty to remain silent when liberty is challenged?

There are millions of gun owners who remain silent for a variety of reasons. While I may disagree with this I understand it. The NRA is PAID to get into the fight and debunk myths, promote gun ownership and rights. This is their job.

Ok, rank over.

Now, would someone please explain to me the logic of this inaction??? I am asking a serious question. It just seems to me by remaining silent the NRA and others allow our opponents to control and focus the discussion in the critical time that it is forming. Without challenge the antigun movement has a better chance of gaining momentum in the public eye.

And in my eye this is a baaadddd thing!

What gives?:dunno: What am I missing?:dunno:

Regards,

Doug

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    If you haven't noticed the NRA had shut down their FB, Twitter, and updates on their website. They will be issuing a statement tomorrow morning, I'm skeptical as to what they're going to say, seeing as the little statement they issued yesterday pretty much said that they are willing to sit down and help. I have a bad feeling that they are going to sell us out, but I hope I'm wrong.

On the other hand, I see a good strategy in their silence. Sit back, let the anger, the mourning, the frustration go away. Then when everything is baseline, go full force as usual. Ads everywhere; tv spots, radio, the whole bit. Explain in plain friggin English why this is wrong, why the government is looking at the wrong cause. Most of the liberal, entitlement generation morons won't care because this is just what they have been waiting for. But there are also a whooooole lot of people on the fence, and the only thing that will sway them is intelligence and rationality. The NRA makes and spends way more than the Brady center or the other group (can't remember the name, don't care), so they will overpower with ads and promotion.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    NPR et al. wants to rant and rave, fine. I really wish they'd venture outside the beltway* every now and then.

I'm glad the NRA took the high ground and respected a period of mourning.

* Actually, Terry Gross is out of WHYY in Philly - not much better.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I agree with Vic. Allow them time to mourn, like they have always done. But OP, you are right, they need to be debating with the media EVERY TIME they can. So much they have just said, oh, its the media, what can we do, and gave up, instead of fighting. Letting themselves shoot themselves if you will. Instead, we are letting them dig our grave, while we do nothing.

Top Bottom