• ...and so much more!
  • Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Gang:

Every September, some of my friends and I don our kilts at every opportunity in an effort to get people informed about male-specific cancers and how they can be prevented or detected.

Kilted to Kick Cancer

(It's a skirt if you wear something underneath)

We also do a fund raising competition, and have, in the past 4 years, raised $60,000 for prostate cancer research and education.

The facts:
    1 in 7 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer.
    1 in 36 will die from it.
    Prostate cancer kills as many men each year as breast cancer kills women, but gets about 15% of the funding (I get it, really... boobs are fun to think about, prostate glands not so much.)
    The death toll is the equivalent of two Boeing 757 airplanes full of men crashing every week.
    Treatment success goes from ~28% to near 100% if caught early.

What you can do: Get to the doctor and get checked. That's a blood test if you're under 50, a digital exam if you're over 50. Put the pressure on your male family members to get checked.

And you can donate: Kilted to Kick Cancer | KTKC Donation 2015

If you select Team JBro from the drop down when you pay, I get credited with the donation (we have some prize packages, but it's more about bragging rights than anything else...)

Last year we raised just over $15,000. Of that, $13,000 went to PC-REF, the Prostate Cancer, Research and Education Foundation in San Diego. We also sent $1000 to two other groups, and used the remaining couple hundred bucks to update the website. None of us get paid for our time. We are registered with the IRS as a 501(c)3, so your donation is tax-deductible.

If you can spare a few bucks, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Kilted.jpg

Kilted,
    Jeff

Last edited:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Guys, get a PSA test every year and track the results. An infection can raise the PSA, but so will cancer. Anything over 4 is a potential problem. A few years back my annual result was over 8. After two weeks of antibiotics a second test was even higher. Dr. did a biopsy (not fun but necessary) and later said I had a more aggressive form of prostate cancer. A few weeks later he operated and thinks he got all of it. Have to continue to take PSA tests to verify it is in fact gone.

Bottom line...I felt fine and had I not taken my regular PSA test when I did, the cancer no doubt would have spread. Dr. says prostate cancer likes to spread to bones. Get the test!!!!

Top Bottom