• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Well I've been away from INGO for about a week now but it feels like a month!

It was for good reason, and I now want to introduce someone to my INGO family.

But first a short bit of history.

My wife's Mother has dealt with severe mental illness for the past 15+ years. It accelerated rapidly with the death of my wife's 7-year-old brother from cancer in 2002. Since then her mental health has continue to decline, with her being homeless and transient over the past 5+ years. In 2011, while hitchhiking her way across the US, she became pregnant and had a little girl.

Obviously this troubled my wife and I, as we knew that this child would be in mental and physical danger from the time she was born.

Back in February we received a call from a representative from the State of Alabama, letting us know that the little girl had been removed from my wife's Mother's custody after an altercation at a homeless shelter. As odd as it may sound, we were relieved.

We immediately petitioned for full permanent custody of the child and since that time we've worked hard to make that happen. This included a few trips to AL, hiring an attorney, and keeping in constant contact with the wonderful foster parents that she was assigned to. We also had to allow the State of Indiana to come in to our home and do a full assessment before AL would even consider giving us temporary custody.

Last week, after 6-months in foster care and now 20-months-old, the little girl was finally allowed to come home with us. As of right now it's still a temporary situation, and we go back down to AL to make it permanent in October.

We welcomed her into our family this week as she joins our two boys, 4- and 7-years old. She's already made the rounds to many of our friends and family, and I wanted to introduce her here also. For safety reasons I don't want to make her name public, but know that we are all very excited to bring this sweet girl a new path in life.

1009828_10200387348872867_682817265_n.jpg

I've never had a little girl before, but I know most women like flowers, so I bought her some. :):

535824_627961143894302_1995596193_n.jpg

So we're not out of the woods yet, but we've made lots of progress over the last several months. Your thoughts and prayers would be appreciated as we approach court in October. Then we can move on to the pink earpro. ;)

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I don't consider myself a religious man except for my family. They are my religion.
    You can still see that perfection in her eyes.
    Congratulations.
    Keep giving them the light of your life and they'll always see with you, even through the dark times that come in time.
    Sounds, and looks like it couldn't have happened to a better household.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    She is beautiful. A kid sister in law, two for the price of one. What a good deal that is. Sorry to hear about moms troubles

Run out right now and get a lottery ticket while your luck is still running hot!

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Blessed.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what caliber you prefer or how you carry, but it's about the people in your life who love, and are loved, by you.

Aside for the thoughts of the pink Cricket this little girl is going to get for her birthday, your post had little to do with firearms, and had everything to do with why we carry in the first place.

“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

This may be my favorite thread I've read on INGO.

Blessed, indeed. Thank you for sharing.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Congrats Evan! I hope the best for you and your family! That is a great thing you're doing for YOUR little girl!
    Ive got two girls, and I can say they are the best thing that ever happened to me!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Congratulations! Prayers to you and your family for happiness and success. I would dare to say you (and your family) are what a miracle looks like, at least form your new sister's perspective.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Any thoughts on bringing your MiL into your home to live?

Unfortunately that would put not only this little girl back in danger, but also my entire family. I'll save you the Jerry Springer details, but suffice to say that even after all the help my wife and I have provided to her Mother in the past, she's still threatened (and attempted) to kidnap my sons and once tried to hire a relative to kill me.

Her mental state is extremely volatile and she bounces back and forth from schizophrenia to obsessive-compulsive disorder to bipolar disorder. With involuntary commitment being almost impossible, along with her transient behavior and lack of self-awareness, it's been impossible to get her the help she needs.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    When ever you think she may be ready to play with my humongous 2.5 year old daughter, let me know. :-).

Wish we had clothes to offer, but I think a lot of them have been lent out. I will ask my wife, though, to be sure!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I almost forgot... once she turns five, keep her on a short leash and watch your sidearm!!! teehee

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Gah!! What a cutie pie sweetie face!!
    Ohh, Evan... are you ever in for it now. Buckle up.

Totally this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Our prayers and best wishes to you and the family in this. You and yours are truly a blessing for this little girl.

Little girls....oh man are you in for the "E" ticket ride.

Top Bottom