• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Sure 'World War Z' was great, but what if everything suggested in that book fails?

The tale that Cormac McCarthy spins in his book "The Road" is that of the end of the world. Marauders have ravaged all of the lands, and a thick soot covers everything that was once green and alive.

I recommend this book not only to show the grim reality of what may be, but to show the other side of the story. Sure, it may not be completely about zombies, but as far as the end of the world goes, it's pretty close.

Royal-1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Noblesville
    Have not read the book, yet, may not, just too much else going on and right now I'm between 3 books, (Depends on which bathroom I'm in.)

"The Road" the movie is due out on Nov. 25th. per IMDB.

I'm sure the book is better, but the trailers look good, or is that bad?

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I read THE ROAD in June. It was a grim look into how desparate humans might become after a world wide holocaust. It's fast reading and gets deeply into your imagination.
    I'm looking forward to the movie.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    The cause???

AlGore had it right,... the fish caused global warming that killed the dolphins and made the Sun turn off.;)

(In the book, it's purposely left to your imagination....which is always more vivid that any written page.)

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    I just want to know the cause........

That's the best part of the book...they don't even start to elaborate on it.

Given they make numerous references to the soot covering the land, I always imagined world-wide nuclear war all the while I was reading it.

jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    That's the best part of the book...they don't even start to elaborate on it.

Given they make numerous references to the soot covering the land, I always imagined world-wide nuclear war all the while I was reading it.

I think that it left alot of the backstory to your imagination. Sure, he recalls the earlier times with his wife when civilization was about to break apart, but noone even references anything.

Maybe everyone said 'To hell with Gasoline, my car's gonna run on a Coal-diesel mix!' and then started a global book-burning...

HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    I think that it left alot of the backstory to your imagination. Sure, he recalls the earlier times with his wife when civilization was about to break apart, but noone even references anything.

Maybe everyone said 'To hell with Gasoline, my car's gonna run on a Coal-diesel mix!' and then started a global book-burning...

true he did leave out alot of the backstory but i think that is part of what makes the book so good it allows you to personalize it, if he had written a back story i dont think it would hit so hard

Last edited:

BILT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    The Road is a great read and real eye opener. My guess is it was an asteroid of some sort that hit the earth causing all kinds of disruption including volcanic activity.... hence all the darkness and ash/soot.

Another great book is One Second After.

Top Bottom